Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

boost on stock eaton

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
stevester

Default boost on stock eaton

I know people run 13lbs of boost on gt500's,what about the 2.4inch pully for 15lbs?Will the blower be efficient at that level or is 13 max?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

They don't make a 2.4" pulley. The smallest they make is a 2.59". My understanding is that that is the smallest pulley that can be put on because of the size of the blower snout. If you wanted to have a 2.4" you would have to have the blower snout ground down, and then have a custom 2.4" made to put on there. In all reality...it wouldn't be worth the money for all that for the hp you would gain from the 2lb of boost.

Another option you can do though is to get the West Innovators lower pulley from Lethal Performance. It has a 10% overdrive...so spins the blower faster, creating approx 3-4 lbs more boost. With the 2.59" upper pulley, and the WI lower pulley you can run 16lbs of boost, effectively maxing out the stock eaton blower.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I'm running the 2.6 metco pulley (with some other items) and my car is @ 14.2psi.

You can go to a 2.2 pulley, but must also get the blower ported...see attached link for details and more information
http://www.stiegemeier.com/gt500.html

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 11-25-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
stevester

Thanks for the info on blower pulleys,still learning about the car.I've only had it a few months.Used to be a 5L racer so this car is completely new to me.Probably get a tune done next week,getting car dynoed tomorrow to give me a baseline before I get the tune done.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevester
Thanks for the info on blower pulleys,still learning about the car.I've only had it a few months.Used to be a 5L racer so this car is completely new to me.Probably get a tune done next week,getting car dynoed tomorrow to give me a baseline before I get the tune done.
you're welcome, let us know where your car baselines at.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
stevester

It was probably 60-65 degrees in the garage when I had the car dynoed and it came in at 477.98hp.They made that pull right to the limiter,previous pull just to 6000rpm where it made 469hp.Definitely need a tune to shift it at 6500rpm.Considering kooks longtubes,x-pipe w/cats,afco h/e,k@n and 2.6 pully w/metco tensioner.Wondering whether to drop the wad or not?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevester
It was probably 60-65 degrees in the garage when I had the car dynoed and it came in at 477.98hp.They made that pull right to the limiter,previous pull just to 6000rpm where it made 469hp.Definitely need a tune to shift it at 6500rpm.Considering kooks longtubes,x-pipe w/cats,afco h/e,k@n and 2.6 pully w/metco tensioner.Wondering whether to drop the wad or not?
if anything, I definitely recommend doing a CAI, 2.6 Metco Pulley, Auxillary Pulley & custom tune.

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 11-30-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

I got you some latest and greatest....Steigemeier does offer a new blower snout that will let you go with a 2.4 or 2.2 pulley. It is also offered by VMP. Talked to Jon Lund (big name tuner), he didn't think it was such a good idea because you would be spinning the stock eaton to death. Talked to Jared from Lethal Performance, he said it would be alright to run with the 2.2...but you would definately be maxing out the eaton, and you would need to get the eaton ported/polished to reduce heat and so it could actually freely spin the 2.2.

The blower snout assembly runs $800, port/polish from Steigemeier runs another $1000. Together this would let you run about 18psi of boost..which would still only net you a little over 600rwhp (according to Steigemeier). Plus with uninstalling it, reinstalling it, shipping... The extra 4 pounds of boost wouldn't really be worth the money you'd be spending on it. Just me $.02 $1000 more would get a new supercharger that would give you over 700RWHP.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
I got you some latest and greatest....Steigemeier does offer a new blower snout that will let you go with a 2.4 or 2.2 pulley. It is also offered by VMP. Talked to Jon Lund (big name tuner), he didn't think it was such a good idea because you would be spinning the stock eaton to death. Talked to Jared from Lethal Performance, he said it would be alright to run with the 2.2...but you would definately be maxing out the eaton, and you would need to get the eaton ported/polished to reduce heat and so it could actually freely spin the 2.2.

The blower snout assembly runs $800, port/polish from Steigemeier runs another $1000. Together this would let you run about 18psi of boost..which would still only net you a little over 600rwhp (according to Steigemeier). Plus with uninstalling it, reinstalling it, shipping... The extra 4 pounds of boost wouldn't really be worth the money you'd be spending on it. Just me $.02 $1000 more would get a new supercharger that would give you over 700RWHP.
yep, when I was researching performance mods for my car several months back that's the exact same thing I ran into...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
stevester

Thanks again for the info on the boost levels for the stock eaton.I think I'm going to just do the tune for now.The shop that I'm dealing with is having dyno issues,I'll have to wait until it's fixed.I'm hoping to get it done before any salt is put down.Not a huge rush because it's December and the sportscar season is pretty much done.Should end up with about 500rwhp,they tune to 12to1a/f.

Quick Reply: boost on stock eaton