Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

For Shelby GT500 Canadian owners and thoughts from American owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Default For Shelby GT500 Canadian owners and thoughts from American owners

I am negotiating price for a GT500 at the dealership in Canada. Ford.ca has it marked up to 58449 canadian and then I have to deal with dealership mark up + taxes, fees and options. Most threads I have read are less than 50000 american. With our dollar at almost par, I cant understand the markup in Canada.

- What have Canadians paid for their GT500
- is anyone else confused and feel its not worth it with the price mark up in Canada?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

in all honesty you shouldnt have to. Cars are imported into canada duty free for the dealers i think. Its just you have been accustomed to paying the higher prices so its kinda standard that they charge you more. I think you can easily come to the states, buy a car and drive it back across the boarder and save 10k on a GT500. Now there are certain regulations and rules you have to follow to do that. But the cost of the car should be very cheap compared to those prices you see up there.

Last edited by howarmat; 03-08-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
in all honesty you shouldnt have to. Cars are imported into canada duty free for the dealers i think. Its just you have been accustomed to paying the higher prices so its kinda standard that they charge you more. I think you can easily come to the states, buy a car and drive it back across the boarder and save 10k on a GT500. Now there are certain regulations and rules you have to follow to do that. But the cost of the car should be very cheap compared to those prices you see up there.
you understand where im coming from. Ill look into importing a car from the states and getting it registered and insured because I dont think a GT500 is worth 60000+. The blue book says that, prices in the states say that and honestly, the upgrades to a basic Mustang Shelby does is not worth it either.

Last edited by howarmat; 03-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Chrome
you understand where im coming from. Ill look into importing a car from the states and getting it registered and insured because I dont think a GT500 is worth 60000+. The blue book says that, prices in the states say that and honestly, the upgrades to a basic Mustang Shelby does is not worth it either.
I feel your pain brother. You are right, a GT500 is not worth $60k from whichever angle you look at the car.
Our wonderful Canadian dealerships are no different from almost any Canadian retailer in as much as they feel it's their God given right to rape their fellow Canadians any chance they get.
There is no reason to NOT import from the States, it's a bit of hassle but worth it in coin.
Just make sure you flip your finger at the Canadian dealership every time you roll past.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
I feel your pain brother. You are right, a GT500 is not worth $60k from whichever angle you look at the car.
Our wonderful Canadian dealerships are no different from almost any Canadian retailer in as much as they feel it's their God given right to rape their fellow Canadians any chance they get.
There is no reason to NOT import from the States, it's a bit of hassle but worth it in coin.
Just make sure you flip your finger at the Canadian dealership every time you roll past.
Yea I looked into it, all I see is a few grand for GST and crumbs for documents. Haha they thought I was a moron. They tried to get a deposit and sale the first day I made an appointment. Now I know why...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Chrome
I am negotiating price for a GT500 at the dealership in Canada. Ford.ca has it marked up to 58449 canadian and then I have to deal with dealership mark up + taxes, fees and options. Most threads I have read are less than 50000 american. With our dollar at almost par, I cant understand the markup in Canada.

- What have Canadians paid for their GT500
- is anyone else confused and feel its not worth it with the price mark up in Canada?
Just hang on a bit. Last year at the end of April, Shelbies were selling for $48000 Cdn in Toronto. This year with the better 2011 coming along dealers will be offering good deals again I'm sure. Shop around in a month or two.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure that the dealerships there are considering it a more rare car...and that most potential owners don't want the hassle associated with importing their own car. Both of which they use as an excuse to charge a premium.

I think it's funny though...because I live 30 miles from the US/CA boarder (on the US side) and I got my used (if you call 2 months old and 1700 miles used) GT500 for almost $8K under sticker...there's no way I'd pay OVER sticker!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you think that's bad? try getting a motorcycle after looking at its US price!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

theres a big rant beginning with GM vehicles like the corvette and camaro since our dollar is at par. I think its only a matter of time before they start dropping prices. The Ford GT500 is 10000 above msrp in the US.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
ecph2001

3dealears I was working with had the car priced $10,000 to $26,000 over sticker I ended up paying sticker. Well thank u guys for the tips on upgrades ! Got to go it's Friday night and beutiful out I'm gonna go put a few miles on my car

Quick Reply: For Shelby GT500 Canadian owners and thoughts from American owners