Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

RATTLE IN A CAN LIKE NOISE, ANY SUGGESTIONS? ALSO, DYNO QUESTION.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 AM
stock

Default RATTLE IN A CAN LIKE NOISE, ANY SUGGESTIONS? ALSO, DYNO QUESTION.

I had an adj. third link, panhard bar, LCR's/relocation brackets, all installed a while back and now have a Steeda CAI, custom tune, and next week add a pulley. When i first got the rear end suspension stuff done i was really impressed with how the car now planted. However, i had a strange noise that no one has been able to figure out. The shop drove it and checked, and rechecked to ensure everything, especially the 3rd link areas were tight. Since i have been driving it for a few weeks now i noticed the noise (like something metal in a tin can), seems to occur while shifting (clutch pedal in motion if you will) If i have the clutch out, or fully in it doesn't seem to be audible, but just as you go through the shifting motion i hear it!!!! Any thoughts? Could pinion angle do something like this? The car hasn't been lowered, just the relocation brackets installed. Otherwise the car runs and does everything fine, just a little aggravating. Also, i have a Dyno set up next week after loading another custom tune (Steeda), and the 2.68 pulley. I haven't heard of any GT-500 "breaks" on Dyno's, but am nervous about it. Any suggestions to make it safer on the Dyno? The shop is reputable.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Maybe there is a little slack in your upper control arm? other than that if everything is tight it shouldn't make any noise. Did you use the bolt in or weld in LCA relocation brackets? if they are weld in they will move unless welded.

As, for the dyno it shouldnt break unless you are doing something you dont normally do on the road. Which i would think you wont be, other than that make sure they tighten the back down really well so you get all the power to the drum and no slippage.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
stock

My CHE relocation brackets are bolted, not welded, but appear to be good and tight.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
stock

Default Better symtoms!

Ok, i did some driving this morning and think this can describe better what
i'm experiencing and hopefully somebody knows what the problem, if any, is.
If clutch is completed engaged no noise. If i push the clutch completely in, while in gear (coast), no noise. Only when letting the clutch out, just when it starts to engage does this rattling type noise start. It's brief and doesn't appear to have any effect on performance, just a little annoying. If speed-shifting, etc., you wouldn't even notice it. ?????
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

I get the exact same noise at the exact same time, sounds like a bearing loose. I have an appointment sometime this week to have it looked at, also getting quite a bit of transmission whine when accelerating, not sure if its related or what.