Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Installing toggle switches in 2011 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
quorum
1st Gear Member

Default Installing toggle switches in 2011 GT500

I really like those metal toggle switches - they look so legit instead of those nasty plastic buttons currently in the Mustang. Does anyone know where we can get a replacement?

It will be cool to get one of those red switch covers for one of the important switches.

I mean come on - surely I'm not the only one who wants this? Who watched "Gone in 60 seconds" and wished their car had neat toggle switches with a special one with a red cover?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Ill look around. Ive seen them in a catalog of safety switches for controls of factory machinery. Where in Cali are you?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by quorum
I really like those metal toggle switches - they look so legit instead of those nasty plastic buttons currently in the Mustang. Does anyone know where we can get a replacement?
For which switch(es) exactly? I´ve not seen after-market ones that would just replace the existing panel snap-in units I think you´re asking about.

You´d have to buy the blank plastic ones, then drill-out the holes needed. Then you´d have to mimic what they´re doing on the mini-board in each one. Nothing extraordinary, but still not cut, strip, solder, and done. Check out page 2 here, and page 1 here(hazzards). References for these symbols are located here if you are unfamiliar.

Both the hazard lights and traction control just do momentary pulls to ground. The mycolor controls just use varying resistors for the same feed line pulling the voltage differently for each button to trigger the different 3 functions, and again with the same return line as well. All of the resistors for the LEDs are simply there because they are using 12v to feed power to 2.2-3.4v SMD LEDs. If you use 12v ones for illumination replacement, they are removed from the equation.

They´re sold from many electronics sources. The above one being illuminated for the housing, hence the third contact.

I´ve not seen any that have the safety cover that are push-button, but I haven´t looked intentionally myself. The cover´s are usually sold as a separate item as well, so you shouldn´t have much trouble finding the standard opening as a push-button, then just adding the cover. In whichever flavor they would just need to be momentary SPST/SPDT(example here, only 1/4 mount though).

To me, I really think it´d look like *** (not the super-model kind, but the nudist beach flat, wrinkled, hairy, and gassy kind) I´m sorry to say. But that´s just my take, I´ve not seen this actually done by anyone. This is assuming the dimensions of the base would even fit in the plastic housing vertically. Which for full sized(1/2´) is doubtful.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-05-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

I Read your post, then saw your quote at the bottom, the last one caught my eye.

"Don't Fake your Car"
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
quorum
1st Gear Member

How is that faking the car? Faking a car is putting Shelby badges on a non-Shelby car.

I'm just changing some buttons around - I'm not putting Ferrari badges on them.

Thanks for the tips guys - I'm just surprised no-one's done this before.

I managed to find this link:
http://purperformance.com/i-4450191-...tch-panel.html

and some instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7231788_wire...al-system.html
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

How is that faking the car? Faking a car is putting Shelby badges on a non-Shelby car.

I'm just changing some buttons around - I'm not putting Ferrari badges on them.

Thanks for the tips guys - I'm just surprised no-one's done this before.

I managed to find this link:
http://purperformance.com/i-4450191-...tch-panel.html

and some instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7231788_wire...al-system.html
If you´re doing this to replace the buttons I mentioned, then this instructional is only good as printed toilet paper. Only 2 pull to ground. The others are using feed and return lines from/to the instrument cluster.

It assumes your adding in these switches for powering something like off-road lights, running 12v through it to power the LED when switched. And only need to hook up a ground in addition to the 2 lines. This is not the case for doing this factory replace/integration with after-market switches.

Another point, those are not momentary. The ones you linked are rocker, and are on and off from what I see. Possibly not a big deal so long as you remember to move it back, but this will mimic depressing the button currently for an extended period. This might lead to some erratic behavior if toggled for too long.

More than likely none are 12v for their actual switching, so the LED´s likely won´t function unless they have separate input(s) for a constant 12v source/ground to switch the lights on/off with position. And the indicator lights for traction control and the pass air-bag are separate returns from the cluster, so these would need separated LED´s to indicate their true conditions. Likely 12v as it shows a resistor in-line for both, but you´d have to verify with a multi-meter with the indicator led running for each.

Also, ¨Switch Panel Dash Mount - 8 x 3 13/32 in.¨, not sure how you expect that to replace/fit into the blank plastic moulded pieces that you will put there. You might be able to overlay it somehow. I can´t bring up any of the spec or detail sheets for the panel you list, so I´m just going by what they have on the initial sales page.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-10-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

what will the toggle switches control? are you running a n20 shot with the eaton supercharger?

i personally think the 2011 gt500 stock interior looks amazing as is, i cant imagine putting in some random aircraft toggle switches
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
quorum
1st Gear Member

I have no idea what it would do. I was hoping that someone had done it and had some ideas on it, or could give some advice.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I have no idea what it would do. I was hoping that someone had done it and had some ideas on it, or could give some advice.
Advise and ideas I can give. As I can read the sudo-schematic's given and have altered the mycolor buttons for my own use. Most that add things are trying to match the other standard factory buttons, not change them altogether, aside from their color anyhow.

But yeah, tacking on after-market buttons in place of this in-line housed is not seen as preferable by very many, so I doubt anyone has done this. Now I'm sure many have put in button housings to do NOS, and other electronic applications, just not as replacements to those existing factory integrated ones.