Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

What to look for in a gt500.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Default What to look for in a gt500.

Hey guys, i havent been on this site for a while as i dont own my mustang anymore. However theres some big changes coming up soon for me. Im graduating college this upcoming May (05/07/11) one of my biggest drives during school was to get a new car, or at least something newer since every car i have ever owned was at least 13+years old. My dad always said that he would co-sign upon graduation and now that im graduating magne *** laude of our class (with honors) he said he is sticking to his word no matter what. This is where my question comes in, i went and test drove a 2008 GT500 and it took me right back to the day i purchased my 5.0 i instantly fell in love with the car, and while there is another totally different car that i still want to test drive before i make a final decision i believe that gt500 could be it for me. Either vehicle is going to be a big investment for me, im lucky enough to graduate with no loans and as long as i can find an appropiate car under 40k will only have to finance 25k which over 5 years is easily do-able with my upcoming job. But here is my question, what are things that i should look for in a gt500? Basically since im looking at 07 and 08 models the factory warranty will be over, i have enough experience with cars to notice when ones been abused, but what are the specifics that i should look for? Some prior research has led me to believe there was a flywheel recall on some of the 07's, and that HID headlights werent offered until late 08+ models. Are there any other major differences in an 07 to an 08 model? I know usually after the first year a car is in production sometimes things get changed that go unoticed to the eye, such as suspension etc. with that being said are there any differences between these two model years?
What about gas millege i noticed the sticker said 14city 20highway are any of you guys getting more then that by taking it easy? (i get a little more then 20mpg combined every week in the vette by taking it easy)
Are these cars suitable for daily driving? (i will be able to use my dads truck during the winter months but this will be my primary mode of transportation)
What about maitenence costs? (i saw that a do-it-yourself oil change kit is around $80, are there any other high ticket regular maitenence items; and yes i would be doing most, if not all, maitence myself)

I appriciate all who respond, and rest assured that this isnt a 17yr old kid who just wants to learn about owning a GT500, i am serious about this car and all responses will be taken seriously. Thanks Jay.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! As for the GT500, it is a fine car regardless of the year model. The flywheel issue affects all 2007 to 2009 models built up to Sept 2008. There is a TSB issued for the flywheel so look for this TSB being completed in the car's history. Ford has issued 3 or 4 different versions of the TSB with the latest using the 2010+ clutch and flywheel (TSB 08-16-4; TSB 10-3-08 are two releases of the TSB). The earlier ceri-metallic clutch is a bit finicky and it takes some finesse with the clutch pedal and throttle to achieve a smooth take-off from first gear, but it's very doable. The 10+ clutch I understand makes the car drive as easy as a Honda. Other than that look for a well maintained car without a lot of rubber in the wheel wells. If there are mods to the car, understand what they are, and if the previous owner installed a performance calibration, make sure they give you the hand-held tuner, which stored down the stock PCM calibration - in case you ever want to return it to a stock configuration.

The 2008+ models offer the HID option, ambient lighting option and and in 2009 satellite radio was standard; other less obvious improvements include a lighter harmonic balancer, and felt-lined window weather strips that won't damage aftermarket applied tint. The suspension components are the same for all the 2007 to 2009 models. Note that all GT500s come standard with an active alarm system.

I drive my 2007 rather conservatively and get about 17.3 mpg on average and on the freeway doing 65, the car can achieve over 23 mpg in 6th gear. I wouldn't advise driving the car in Winter when the temperature gets below 40 degrees; the stock tires are not rated below that temperature and begin to have traction problems; seems like in the Winter time there is a spike in the number of GT500 wrecks.

The car only requires basic maintenance with oil changes being the most frequent. If you choose to use the Motorcraft 5W50 oil, it could run you over $10 per quart at the dealer, and perhaps $8 per quart mail order (K-mans Parts). Castrol and Mobile 1 also offer a 5W50 full synthetic for less. Motorcraft FL-820S oil filters are available at Walmart for less than $5. If you use the above mentioned oils, I suggest changing it at no greater than 4000 mile intervals. Aside from the monthly car payments your largest expense in ownership will be for insurance.

Good Luck finding your car!

Last edited by 6-Speed; 04-05-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Congrats on your upcoming graduation! As for the GT500, it is a fine car regardless of the year model. The flywheel issue affects all 2007 to 2009 models built up to Sept 2008. There is a TSB issued for the flywheel so look for this TSB being completed in the car's history. Ford has issued 3 or 4 different versions of the TSB with the latest using the 2010+ clutch and flywheel (TSB 08-16-4; TSB 10-3-08 are two releases of the TSB). The earlier ceri-metallic clutch is a bit finicky and it takes some finesse with the clutch pedal and throttle to achieve a smooth take-off from first gear, but it's very doable. The 10+ clutch I understand makes the car drive as easy as a Honda. Other than that look for a well maintained car without a lot of rubber in the wheel wells. If there are mods to the car, understand what they are, and if the previous owner installed a performance calibration, make sure they give you the hand-held tuner, which stored down the stock PCM calibration - in case you ever want to return it to a stock configuration.

The 2008+ models offer the HID option, ambient lighting option and and in 2009 satellite radio was standard; other less obvious improvements include a lighter harmonic balancer, and felt-lined window weather strips that won't damage aftermarket applied tint. The suspension components are the same for all the 2007 to 2009 models. Note that all GT500s come standard with an active alarm system.

I drive my 2007 rather conservatively and get about 17.3 mpg on average and on the freeway doing 65, the car can achieve over 23 mpg in 6th gear. I wouldn't advise driving the car in Winter when the temperature gets below 40 degrees; the stock tires are not rated below that temperature and begin to have traction problems; seems like in the Winter time there is a spike in the number of GT500 wrecks.

The car only requires basic maintenance with oil changes being the most frequent. If you choose to use the Motorcraft 5W50 oil, it could run you over $10 per quart at the dealer, and perhaps $8 per quart mail order (K-mans Parts). Castrol and Mobile 1 also offer a 5W50 full synthetic for less. Motorcraft FL-820S oil filters are available at Walmart for less than $5. If you use the above mentioned oils, I suggest changing it at no greater than 4000 mile intervals. Aside from the monthly car payments your largest expense in ownership will be for insurance.

Good Luck finding your car!
Nice write up!...I found my 08 GT500 in a guys garage with 558 miles on it last Feb (2010)...other then I am going to change out the clutch with a Spec 3+...the thing has been perfect and modded very well! I wouldnt trade it for anything!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

If the production date of the car is before 9-1-2008, you will apparently get the clutch set up that many people have issues with.

As far as gas mileage, there's not much you can do, it just drinks gas, lol. Around town, I believe I get around 14-16 (maybe) and on the interstate I get around 20....but as you know, it's all how you drive. As soon as you go to "play", all bets are off.

Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
+1^^

If the production date of the car is before 9-1-2008, you will apparently get the clutch set up that many people have issues with.

As far as gas mileage, there's not much you can do, it just drinks gas, lol. Around town, I believe I get around 14-16 (maybe) and on the interstate I get around 20....but as you know, it's all how you drive. As soon as you go to "play", all bets are off.

Good Luck!
As far as mileage...I tell people it does well enough to get me to the next gas station under full boost!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Well now knowing that the ambient lighting as well as HID was only offered in 08 i think thats what im going to be looking for; as i really like both of those options. If the car has had the recall performed will there be a sticker in the engine bay acknowledging it or will this only be known by a dealer/current owner? Reason being because I know in the 1999 cobras there was a sticker placed on the radiator support saying if it had the intake/exhaust recall done.
winter driving is the only thing that still seems to concern me, my old mustang wasnt that bad but essentially it was a loss of traction when some deer came into the road that took her away from me. after that i put the vette on the road and have been Daily driving that with nitto 555's all the way around, i found that as long as i drove it like it was a cavalier i didnt have to much trouble in the cold with the summer tires but still stuck to my dads truck when snow was on the road.
The 08 that i looked at it is a hell of a deal, and if i had this damn vette gone i would have bought it, my dad keeps telling me to chill they arent going to sell a 38k mustang anytime soon it could still be there in 3 weeks.

Just for giggles i attached a picture of the old mustang R.I.P. and the vette as no one takes me seriously when i say i own a corvette.
Thanks again guys and keep the info coming!
Attached Thumbnails What to look for in a gt500.-img_0272.jpg   What to look for in a gt500.-img_4961.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

The flywheel issue is not handled by a recall; the solution is covered by a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). The TSB only applies if your car exhibits the symptoms. There is no label applied to the car to indicate whether the TSB was done. The report run by the dealer should indicate the service history for work performed by Ford including any TSBs/Recalls that were completed on the car. There was one recall on GT500s with regards to re-programming the passenger-side restraint system; I don't know which years it includes, but it did apply to my 2007.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Ok i see what your saying now, the dealer did run me a carfax on the gt500. the car only has 4500 miles on it and only has a title and registration acknoledgements on the car fax. Would that be the only way i could tell if it has had it done? or would i be able to go through ford with the vin and see if it was done? Either way 6-speed i appriciate your replies, but would you be able to tell me what the symptoms the car would exhibit if this needed to be addressed? the clutch felt a little "tempermental" when starting the car off in 1rst gear but i kinda thought that was due to the car just bieng what it is...500hp.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Have your dealer service department run an Oasis report on the car's vin ... should tell you of any warranty work, recalls, and TSBs done on the car. Carfax may tell you if any insurance paid work was done on the car.

See my first post regarding the finicky clutch on the 2007 to 2009 models.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

There are a few stickys over on Team Shelby that you can read about regarding the clutch TSB.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...-transmission/