Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

steeda pulley installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda pulley installation

so i'm going to be installing my steeda pulley sometime this week and a couple of questions that came up was

do i need to change my stock 90 mm idler? or not? if i don't would my belt still have the same tension? can the belt's tension be adjust?

also i called bama about a possible tune for the pulley and i was told to go ahead and load my current tune and it should work with the pulley. but when i first purchase my tuner and filled out their form, i told them that i'm going to be installing a Steeda CAI and later on down the road will be installing my pulley.

so my question, is bama telling me the truth? did they just gave me a tune for the CAI and pulley already? without having the pulley installed yet? kinda of confuse yet.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
so i'm going to be installing my steeda pulley sometime this week and a couple of questions that came up was

do i need to change my stock 90 mm idler? or not? if i don't would my belt still have the same tension? can the belt's tension be adjust?

also i called bama about a possible tune for the pulley and i was told to go ahead and load my current tune and it should work with the pulley. but when i first purchase my tuner and filled out their form, i told them that i'm going to be installing a Steeda CAI and later on down the road will be installing my pulley.

so my question, is bama telling me the truth? did they just gave me a tune for the CAI and pulley already? without having the pulley installed yet? kinda of confuse yet.
The Bama team definitely pointed you in the right direction. You don't need to tune for that particular pulley.

When tuning for the GT500's the Bama team sets the fueling and spark timing up so that you can install a smaller pulley without needing a re-tune. Now if you were to change the lower pulley as well then we would need to make some adjustments!

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Yes, you will need a larger idler to keep the belt from slipping at high rpms. I'm assuming you went with a 2.6" pulley, so with its smaller diameter you have to make up the difference somewhere. The larger 90mm idler will get the slack out of the equation.

As mentioned, Usually everyone has a little "headroom" built in the tunes, so you should be ok with the pulley. You will HAVE to have a retune for the CAI when you install it though... If you don't, car will go lean and BOOM.

Just a friendly suggestion on the CAI, but I would recommend a JLT 123mm. It is large enough that if you upgrade blowers you won't need to buy another CAI down the road. I use it on my car and it works great.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
Yes, you will need a larger idler to keep the belt from slipping at high rpms. I'm assuming you went with a 2.6" pulley, so with its smaller diameter you have to make up the difference somewhere. The larger 90mm idler will get the slack out of the equation.

As mentioned, Usually everyone has a little "headroom" built in the tunes, so you should be ok with the pulley. You will HAVE to have a retune for the CAI when you install it though... If you don't, car will go lean and BOOM.

Just a friendly suggestion on the CAI, but I would recommend a JLT 123mm. It is large enough that if you upgrade blowers you won't need to buy another CAI down the road. I use it on my car and it works great.
thanks for the input, i have seen videos on the steeda combos such as the CAi and supercharge pulley being install without the mentioning of upgrading the 90 mm idler. so the only way to re tighten the belt is to upgrade my 90mm idler? something like this http://www.americanmuscle.com/metco-...714gt500.html?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hello,

It will work with the factory set idler and tensioner. We would recommend our tensioner to give better belt wrap and prevent belt slippage especially on a 13 or 14. The tune should have changes made in it for the pulley.

For your concerns, yes the tune should compensate for the pulley.

You should go with our cai kit. It will give you better tuneability, idle, and off idle acceleration. Ours will also support upgraded blowers.

Let me know if I can help assist with your order? We currently have a forum discount code to help with the pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello,

It will work with the factory set idler and tensioner. We would recommend our tensioner to give better belt wrap and prevent belt slippage especially on a 13 or 14. The tune should have changes made in it for the pulley.

For your concerns, yes the tune should compensate for the pulley.

You should go with our cai kit. It will give you better tuneability, idle, and off idle acceleration. Ours will also support upgraded blowers.

Let me know if I can help assist with your order? We currently have a forum discount code to help with the pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
I do have the steeda CAI and as far as the tensioner goes can you give me the item number for the belt tensioner
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You would be looking at part number - 555-3354

Let me know if I can put you in contact with a sales professional with order support.

Best Regards,

TJ