Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GRRR..Conflicting Stories on KR mufflers vs GT500 Stingers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation GRRR..Conflicting Stories on KR mufflers vs GT500 Stingers!

So... I am looking for new exhaust that is deep and kinda loud but will not drown out the sound of my Supercharger in or outside the car.

I spoke with a few people on forums that said the KRs were louder and would drown out the sound.

I then spoke to some that said the Stingers would drown out the sound more because they drone more and cabin noise is increased with the Stingers vs the KR's.

I spoke with someone at Latemodelrestoration who is a friend of a friend.
He also said the KR's would actually cancel out the Supercharger LESS than the stingers.

Can I get some opinions from people on the forum?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I am so sorry bud... Opinions of many causes these challenges.. the stock x pipe and cats NEITHER will drown out the whine of the supercharger..(providing you are not still using the stock air box) End of story... It is not until you mess with the cats (go high flow after market or catless) that you will have that problem.. Unless you go muffler deletes..
The difference is the kr have a slightly different chamber design than the stingers (both 5gt and sgt models) the stingers have polished chrome rolled edged angled ford racing stamped embossed tips and the kr are just straight tip non chrome.. The chamber and baffle design of the kr exhaust eliminate drone whereas the stingers do have a slight drone when cruising at 1500-2200 rpm .. To me it was not offensive or bothersome at a but some just freak over cabin drone..the kr tone is deeper than the stinger
Either one is a huge improvement over stock and I would gladly use either one today
Now change your cats setup and all bets are off.. Hope this helps
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

My logic is starting to tell me less drone=more SC whine.
Wouldn't that make sense?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
My logic is starting to tell me less drone=more SC whine.
Wouldn't that make sense?
Yes and no... Logical but remember your peak whine is at highest boost ... Which is wide open throttle to the floor etc. Whereas the cBin drone is more noticiable when just cruising around at 1500-2200 rpm due to back pressure and exhaust pressure battling each other in the chambers.. Where at wot not much back pressure thus less drone
But at cruising speeds not much whine so 6 on one hand half A dozen on the other
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
I am so sorry bud... Opinions of many causes these challenges.. the stock x pipe and cats NEITHER will drown out the whine of the supercharger..(providing you are not still using the stock air box) End of story... It is not until you mess with the cats (go high flow after market or catless) that you will have that problem.. Unless you go muffler deletes..
The difference is the kr have a slightly different chamber design than the stingers (both 5gt and sgt models) the stingers have polished chrome rolled edged angled ford racing stamped embossed tips and the kr are just straight tip non chrome.. The chamber and baffle design of the kr exhaust eliminate drone whereas the stingers do have a slight drone when cruising at 1500-2200 rpm .. To me it was not offensive or bothersome at a but some just freak over cabin drone..the kr tone is deeper than the stinger
Either one is a huge improvement over stock and I would gladly use either one today
Now change your cats setup and all bets are off.. Hope this helps
Well said TJ.

Blacksmoke, as I said in a few of your other threads about this subject, both the Borla Stingers (which are currently on my car) and the KR Mufflers are great sounding mufflers. The Borlas drone while driving in low RPM's. The KR's do not. The Borlas are going to be louder than the KR's while just cruising around. At WOT, they both are going to sound great.

I have a club member that has the same car as me. We went for a drive in my car down the interstate so he could experience the drone that I had told him about. He ended up going with the KR's and now all I hear about is how extemely mad he is that he didn't go with the Borlas. You live and learn. He could just have very well bought the Borlas and not been happy with the drone....you just don't know until you have them.

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 05-11-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Why was he mad he did not get the Borlas?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Why was he mad he did not get the Borlas?
I assume it was probably as I found out the borlas have more volume and burble while just cruising whereas the kr chamber design makes them slightly lower in volume ( which of course is also contributing to drone elimination on the kr etc) I would say get the 5gt or sgt borlas and you will love them.. Again I was not opposed to the cabin drone.. It was slight and reminded me I'm driving a beast.. Ps: now with my current exhaust setup I'm not a huge fan of WOT and love my kr and high flow cats cruising.. Hitting that sweet spot...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

correct....he wanted more volume while cruising around.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

The stockers were real bland to me, couldn't hear the exhaust while in cruise! The 5GT's were just what I was looking for. The drone isn't objectionable to me at ALL And they in no way drown out the supercharger in mine. I let my brother do a full power pass by me and you can hear the SC a 1/4 mile away, but when he went by....only exhaust. Sounds mean when you down shift & let off the throttle too! I may try something else later but I'll keep these till I know I like something better.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by MarkMan
The stockers were real bland to me, couldn't hear the exhaust while in cruise! The 5GT's were just what I was looking for. The drone isn't objectionable to me at ALL And they in no way drown out the supercharger in mine. I let my brother do a full power pass by me and you can hear the SC a 1/4 mile away, but when he went by....only exhaust. Sounds mean when you down shift & let off the throttle too! I may try something else later but I'll keep these till I know I like something better.

Is your GT500 pretty much stock?
No CAI or pulley work or anything?

Quick Reply: GRRR..Conflicting Stories on KR mufflers vs GT500 Stingers!