Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2013 shelby is a monster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Derf00
I think Ford saw that GM was going to be discontinouing the Camaro so they coasted.
That's exactly what the absence of competition will do...
You slack off when you're coasting.

Glad that GM came back with the Camaro because I'm not sure that the new 5.0 engine be out still, lol. Ford still be coasting and the competition would be 4cyl import that would eventually be faster. Ouch!
I rather have a Maro beating a Mustang, sorry.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
That's exactly what the absence of competition will do...
You slack off when you're coasting.

Glad that GM came back with the Camaro because I'm not sure that the new 5.0 engine be out still, lol. Ford still be coasting and the competition would be 4cyl import that would eventually be faster. Ouch!
I rather have a Maro beating a Mustang, sorry.
Very good point, indeed.

A little in-house domestic rivalry (minus the knives and brass knuckles) is always good to keep folks on their toes.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

I like all of the changes that are coming down the pipes. The 2013 Stang in any format will be a great car. The only thing i do not like is the copying of the shelby front end with minor changes to the lower ducts and it being placed on a GT. Dont get me wrong it looks good, but the way to identify a shelby has always been by the front end. Now with the similar front clip it just seems to take away a little from the 500. Either way its not a huge deal, and its a great idea to keep the design fresh.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
joshsund
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
And hopefully never will.
Agreed!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 2FNQUIK
Thanks Derf, the ZL1 is a powerful car BUT its marketed to a different audience, the Z06 and ZR1 are in NO WAY evenly matched to ANY Camaro when you talk about OVERALL ability and performance, staightline performance and dyno numbers are one thing but when you get into dynamics and design and actual track use, etc...it's clear who the REAL winner is, now the Boss 302 LS is a tough competitor! That's a purpose built car, I thought for was actually going to build more around that car with the new design and leave the GT500 alone but man did they knock it out the park with this one, makes you think why you guy's didn't need any bailout money ..smart team all the way around with a great group of desingers, engineers, and loyal customer base that kept you guys on top...I LOVE what I'm seeing with what Ford is putting out now, ESPECIALLY without any gov't assistance
The ZL1 though was purpose built in the handling department in that GM had tons of track time to address just that point (handling dynamics)? I'm still curious to see how it will do against the Z06 at least.

The Boss is definitely a poster child for how tweaks in the overall power delivery curve (not necessarily just higher output) and how minor upgrades in the the suspension can really improve an already good platform.

I'm waiting for a ZL1/2013 Shelby shootout

This reminds me of two people that have a baseball bat with one grabbing the handle above the other to see who ends up on top. The only difference is that there is not "top". They just keep one-upping each other Lets see how high they get!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Here is my take on the new GT500 vs ZL1 shootout: Right now, my mind is only on straight-line drag racing.
Sure, the GT500 has another dimension, handling, but I know very little of the Bilstien adjustable suspension. The ZL1 has the magneto-rhesotatic suspension with at least 5 different settings. And the ZL1 has already set the bar, high at that, on the Nuremburg course with a time of 7mn41sec. So we know the GT500 will have to top that with excellent handling, if such can be squeezed out of the S197 chassis without the aid of IRS and all-wheel steering and AWD.

Hands down, the the new 5.8L GT500 has the ZL1 beat, and the lighter weight of the new GT500 as compared to the ZL1 is only an additional bonus.
If a comparison metric were to include off -the-line drag racing as one of the categories, the new GT500 will have the advantage just from power and weight alone.
Both the ZL1 and '13GT500 look like they have the exact same TR6060 tranny, both having the same 2.66:1 1st gear (I do not know if their overdrives are different).
The GT500 will have 3.31:1 rear gear (IIRC), but I have no idea what the ZL1 rear gear is.
Off the line, the ZL1 will actually have an advantage with its larger tires, 305/35/20 for the ZL1 and only 285/35/20 for the GT500. To compensate for the heavier weight and weaker torque, the ZL1 could go with a deeper rear gear to take advantage of that 40mm additional total linear tire width. The GT500 will no doubt have way too much torque for only 2x285mm width, so the launch control will feather back the gas. You will not have the full 650 BHP at your disposal. But then again, depending on the ZL1 rear gear, it too will have to feather back on its gas too because even at 2x305mm tire width on the ground, 570 BHP will overpower that very easily too.
I do not know if this has any bearing, but the ZL1 IRS and magneto-rheostatic suspension, if not stout enough and set to hard enough a setting, can also hobble the Camaro's launch.
The traditional solid rear axle on the GT500 will no doubt be stout, such is the inherent benefit of this.