Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2010-2011-2012 gt500

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Autobahn Shelby

Excellent thread.

I too was faced with the question of which one to buy. My reasoning went something like this:

2007-2009:
Love the exterior styling. Great bang for the buck. I did consider this model, but decided against it because of the interior. Not because I couldn't live with the interior, but because I REALLY like 2010 and up interior styling. Funny thing is, I actually thought the interior was quite nice in 2004, when I saw my first S197.

2010:
Changes - 5th and 6th gear transmission ratios (slightly better gas mileage), cold air intake, 3.55:1 rear end ratio, exterior and interior styling.
I actually DIDN'T like the exterior styling when I first saw it in 2009. But it grew on me, and I do like it a lot now. Even more than I like the '07-'09's.
And I love the interior. Door panels and some of the dash board materials are Fisher-Price plastic, which is fine since it's a Mustang and not an Audi. But it is hands-down the coolest dash board design out there.

2011:
Changes - Aluminium block is great. Less weight over the front end. Less weight, period. Electric power steering. 2.75 inch exhaust pipes (vs. 2.5 inch on the 2007-2010). Optional SVT Performance Pack (with special wheels and tires, different springs, dampers etc. The 3.73:1 rear end ratio on the SVTPP only just compensates for the taller 20 inch wheels, so the effective gearing is actually not any "shorter" than the 3.55:1's on the standard GT500 with 19 inch wheels).

2012: three-way settings on the EPS. Available Recaro seats. I considered a used 2011, but due to the lack of availability, I opted for a 2012.

Having said all that, you should take a GT 5.0 with the Brembos and 3.73:1's for a spin. You'll save 15 grand and have almost as much fun!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
ghedeup123

I actually traded a 2011 GT 5.0 for my GT500. At first I was a little underwhelmed with the GT500 after the 5.0 as the Coyote engine is pretty nice. I didn't feel like I had an extra almost 150 hp to play with but I soon realized after I had learned how to drive the GT500 that the two cars are a different driving experience. I felt that the 5.0 suspension was pretty soft whereas the GT500 SVTPP feels more like a race car in comparison.

Colin
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Autobahn Shelby

Originally Posted by ghedeup123
I actually traded a 2011 GT 5.0 for my GT500. At first I was a little underwhelmed with the GT500 after the 5.0 as the Coyote engine is pretty nice. I didn't feel like I had an extra almost 150 hp to play with but I soon realized after I had learned how to drive the GT500 that the two cars are a different driving experience. I felt that the 5.0 suspension was pretty soft whereas the GT500 SVTPP feels more like a race car in comparison.

Colin
I totally agree on the suspension bit. Especially upwards of 120 mph, the GT begins to float and wander. By comparison, the 2011-12 GT500's are much more stable at high speeds. I'm pretty sure that it's attributable to aerodynamics rather than suspension.

Having said that, the GT500's handling is better than the GT's at lower speeds, too. But the difference is greater at higher speeds.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I think the cap is going to be low 40's to high 30's. I think it is going to happen, but we're in no rush. As soon as that '13 hits showrooms and "embarrasses" the image conscious gt500 owners (which we have a lot of here in the Plano/Frisco area) we'll make our move.

The car will only see limited driving, and it's something we'll take to car shows and what not. Upgrades might happen, and who knows, maybe we'll take it to the Texas mile someday.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Autobahn Shelby

Originally Posted by Justice
Which one would you get when the 2013's come out, flooding the market with the old "slow" ones and thus putting pricing in the low 40's high 30's.
BTW, excellent topic!

I'm doubt you'll see a disproportionate number of people getting rid of their '11's and '12's. And even if they did, I doubt that it will cause the prices to fall much more quickly, than if the '13's had remained unchanged to the '11's and '12's.

Now I don't have the statistics, nor do I have a crystal ball, but I suspect that most of the guys and gals, who made the decision to buy a new Shelby over the past couple of years aren't, aside from a few exceptions, necessarily the types of people whose egos are directly correlated to having the most horsepower or the quickest time slip. Otherwise they'd have purchased a used Nissan GTR for the same money, and spanked everything in sight (sorry, the truth hurts, I know). Thus I don't think that they'd be selling their '10-'11-'12 GT500's off, just because the newer, better model has some technical changes. Of course, there will be a few exceptions who always want (and can afford) to have the newest, best thing on the road. But I doubt there will be enough people selling, so as to "flood" the market.

And even if the supply of one and two year-old GT500's on the market DID increase, I'm not sure it would cause a massive downward spiral in prices. Just look at the (five-year-old) low mile, non-modded '07's that are still fetching decent money, even though the '12's have a whole bunch of significant upgrades. Shelby's actually hold their value quite well. And there's tons of demand for used Shelby's to take up the slack. Plus, at 5500 Shelby's built in 2011 and even fewer in 2012, production numbers are fairy low. So a "flooding" of the market is probably the wrong term altogether.

AND don't forget that the '13's will probably have a juicy increase in list pricing, even without the FU factor. The higher the increase in list pricing vs. the '11's and '12's, the less the bottom will fall out of the used Shelby market.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a used '11 for around 40 grand, once the '13's come out, considering you can pick up a new '12 SVTPP for 48 grand (that's 7 grand below sticker) right now.

Especially when those people actually trade in their 11's for those monstrous 13's. It will flood the market for sure. And with gas prices going up the potential buyers will taper off I am sure.

Ideal buying circumstances.
Again, I'm not sure that very many, who bought a new '11 or '12 will be stepping up to the post again a year or two later. Especially not, if they're going to take a beating on the trade-in. If anything, a significantly reduced trade-in value would deter people from trading up to a '13. Not everyone has the cash to burn. I tend to believe that the majority of GT500 owners can "only just" afford to own them. So I'm thinking MOST GT500 owners aren't wealthy enough to trade up after a year or two. A few might be, but certainly not the majority.

Having said that, I don't think fuel prices have much to dictate in this equation, especially when many owners only put on a few thousand miles per year. Not to mention, (and don't hate me for saying this, but) the price of gas in laughably cheap in the States. Over here in Germany, a gallon of gas for my Shelby costs me the equivalent of over 9 US Dollars.

Ideal buying circumstances? Over 500 HP, really, really cool and all for around 50 Grand brand-new? You bet that's ideal! What a wonderful day and age to be a car-freak!

As soon as that '13 hits showrooms and "embarrasses" the image conscious gt500 owners...
Naaa, it would be an absolute pleasure to be beaten by a 2013 Shelby! I believe most GT500 owners are mature enough to feel very privileged to own a Shelby, regardless of year. Heck, I feel privileged to even own a Mustang!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

There a some valid points in what you write, but a new one just isn't in the cards. We also looked at used prices on boss mustangs, but they are at the same levels as the GT500's.

And I have noticed that stock GT500's keep value pretty well. But they do drop, and with something like the 13 looming ahead there is bound to be a good ~3k drop off current prices. If not, we'll wait till they get inside the window. Time is on the side of the buyer that doesn't need but wants.

I feel damn lucky I got my 05. The GT500 would be a joint venture purchase, the family hotrod sort of speak. If I had the beans I would drive one already, and daily to boot. But the chance to partially own a motoring icon is something I won't be denied. You only live once. Twice if you believe in James Bond.

And I am no stranger to high prices. I am originally from the Netherlands. And the Dutch find German gas cheap. And even there I didn't really care about the prices. If you can't balance the books on higher gas you are doing it wrong. Cut a Blu-Ray purchase and a chicken dinner and you're there. Unless you drive a lot... Then you're, as the Canadians say, "Hosed"

Last edited by TheDutchTexan; 03-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Oh, almost forgot...

Originally Posted by Autobahn Shelby
BTW, excellent topic!
Thanks!