Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

NEW BARTON GT500 SHIFTER

Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Barton Industries
Former Sponsor

Default NEW BARTON GT500 SHIFTER

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you some info on our NEW shifter for the 2007-12 Shelby GT500, We offer the BARTON flat stick as pictured, and we also offer the OEM type stick that will allow you to use your factory **** or any **** you are currently using on your factory shifter. This shifter has been in development for over a year. It has been designed to be quiet and provide the shortest throw possible with the least amount of effort. If you have any questions, fire away.

30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
We don't just claim to be the best, we GUARANTEE it.
Install it, use it. Dont like it, send it back for a full refund,
even shipping charges. Must be returned in 30 days from the day
of delivery.

2007-2012 Shelby GT500
-35% Throw Reduction
-Complete Replacement.
-Machined from 6061 T6 billet
Aluminum and 304 Stainless Steel.
-Firm centering springs for a perfect
2-3 shift. Never miss 3rd again.
-Harder durometer polyurethane bushings
eliminate the mushy deflection.
- Multiple shift **** and upper shaft choices.
-Easy installation with no permanent
modifications to your car.
-MADE IN THE USA

Full install video is available at www.BartonIndustries.com
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Nice install video!

Looks like a serious chunk of metal.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM
VNVET

Default shifter

Looks like a bad copy of an MGW shifter
Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Barton Industries
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VNVET
Looks like a bad copy of an MGW shifter
HaHa, OK. Nice 1st Post. I will play along.

Shifters are designed to fit a particular car, and because of that they will have to share similar properties that will in the end cause all shifters to look a like. We use a black anodize and that may be why you think it looks like a copy. We chose black because of how often our anodize house sets up black. If we choose a different color the turn around time would be a lot slower. Also the engraving properties of black helps set off the logo and any wording on the shifter.

Why you say it looks like a "bad copy", I'm not sure. Are you a mechanical engineer, a machinist, have you even held the product in your hand to make this assessment?. If this was just a "bad copy of an MGW" it wouldn't have spent over a year in development. I could have just reversed engineered the shifter and had it out in two weeks. It would have saved a lot of time and energy, but then It wouldn't have been better.

I could give you a list of about 25 people who had the MGW and are now using our shifter because they couldn't power shift 2nd and now they can. I think they will all tell you its different.

We have sold thousands of shifters, and from what I have heard from every vendor/dealer that we use, our shifter for the 2011+ is the #1 selling shifter on the market. Our quality is what has made us an over night success. Two years ago when we first started making shifters, nobody in this industry knew who we were, and now our shifters are even used by Shelby on the Shelby GT350 cars.

I just realized you are in Georgia, any where near MGW?..... I'm going to be in Commerce, Ga Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We are sponsoring the NMRA/NMCA event. So if your up for it why don't you come by our booth and see it in person? I would be more than happy to go over the whole shifter with you and what we do different.

Happy Easter MF, and let us not forget the true meaning of this special day. John 3-16

Last edited by Barton Industries; 04-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Nice shifter Barton industries.. What's the throw like compared to the ford racing KR shifter?? Thx
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Barton Industries
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Nice shifter Barton industries.. What's the throw like compared to the ford racing KR shifter?? Thx
Thanks,
Ours is about 11% shorter over the KR but takes less effort because of the design. The KR shifter is really nothing more than the stock shifter with a revised pivot point for a shorter throw. Our shifter is very solid and it eliminates all the deflection that the stock shifter and KR shifter have. The upper support arms have a harder durometer polyurethane bushing and the rear support bracket holds the shifter in place a lot better while the trans is under load. We also have centering springs which allows the shifter to self center for a perfect 2-3 shift.

One thing I noticed with the factory and KR shifter is that the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were very Mushy when trying to shift at high RPMs and It took A LOT of effort to engage the gears.

I hope this helps.
Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Barton Industries
Thanks,
Ours is about 11% shorter over the KR but takes less effort because of the design. The KR shifter is really nothing more than the stock shifter with a revised pivot point for a shorter throw. Our shifter is very solid and it eliminates all the deflection that the stock shifter and KR shifter have. The upper support arms have a harder durometer polyurethane bushing and the rear support bracket holds the shifter in place a lot better while the trans is under load. We also have centering springs which allows the shifter to self center for a perfect 2-3 shift.

One thing I noticed with the factory and KR shifter is that the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were very Mushy when trying to shift at high RPMs and It took A LOT of effort to engage the gears.

I hope this helps.
Dave
Thanks for the reply.. Sounds great.. I am considering this .. Few $$$ more than I want to spend but looks and sounds like an incredible piece for sure
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Premium08

Just got mine installed mine last week.... Great product, super easy install and looks great. I've tested it out a few times at high rpms, I did grind 1-2 once but Im thinking that was me, also I think 1-2 grind is an issue on these cars anyways. But either way im extemely happy with the product. Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Blackmax

I recently purchased the Barton shifter and am grinding the 1-2 shift, thing is it never happened with the Steeda. The Steeda actually was coming apart and shifted smoother in all the gears. Do I need to change the way I shift or will the shifter loosen up?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I cannot comment on the Barton as I've never tried one.
Heard some good reviews from people
though.

I must say however, I've never ran across anyone
that had any trouble power shifting 2nd with the
MGW, much less 25 people like the above Barton representative claims.

That being said, customers say many things and have different shifting habits so I bet
there are probably people that do say this about
every shifter out there if you want to be realistic,
even if they really do not experience it and are just
fanboys of one company

Again I've never run across anyone claiming to
have trouble power shifting 2nd with MGW.

UNLESS they already had the 1-2 grind before the MGW in which I have heard of people trying to fix it with
both a Barton or MGW to no avail in some circumstances.

I have also heard of some shifters getting rid of the
1-2 grind sometimes. Both Barton and MGW.

But again I've not run into anyone that has had problems
power shifting 2nd with the MGW with it being FROM the
MGW. In all fairness I haven't followed the Barton
close enough to give MY opinion of it, but again
I've heard many good things.

Therefore I can't give a comparison of the two.
I can say the MGW and Barton are the most
liked I've heard of overall when it comes to
shifters.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-10-2013 at 06:22 AM.