Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

What tires for 2011 SVT GT500

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
jonchicoine

Default What tires for 2011 SVT GT500

Hey guys, just bought my first gt500 a few days ago...

I noticed an audible "vibration" that you can more hear than feel between 45-65mph. Dealer did something called a road force test, said 2 tires were out of spec, and they fixed it... well.. that didn't fix the "vibration". I brought it back and they are now saying that the problem is with the eagle f1 supercar tires (with 5500 miles on them)... they claim this is a "known" problem with these tires...

well... honestly, i'm not convinced but am looking to put some new tires on it... the tires are the original 285/35/20s and 265/40/19s ( i think ... for sure 20 and 19 though)

I live in nc, and this is my only car... i work from home so only need to use the car to run errands, get groceries, raise a little hell and what not

Anyone have new tire suggestions? I'm concidering Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

I sure hope this will get rid of the "vibration"... it's my new baby!

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
jonathan
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jonchicoine
Hey guys, just bought my first gt500 a few days ago...

I noticed an audible "vibration" that you can more hear than feel between 45-65mph. Dealer did something called a road force test, said 2 tires were out of spec, and they fixed it... well.. that didn't fix the "vibration". I brought it back and they are now saying that the problem is with the eagle f1 supercar tires (with 5500 miles on them)... they claim this is a "known" problem with these tires...

well... honestly, i'm not convinced but am looking to put some new tires on it... the tires are the original 285/35/20s and 265/40/19s ( i think ... for sure 20 and 19 though)

I live in nc, and this is my only car... i work from home so only need to use the car to run errands, get groceries, raise a little hell and what not

Anyone have new tire suggestions? I'm concidering Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

I sure hope this will get rid of the "vibration"... it's my new baby!

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
jonathan
Your choice of Michelins is a very good one. Those are exceptional tires. But if you change your mind, I have a full set of F1's removed from 2012 with less than 500 miles that I'm trying to sell.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
jonchicoine

Originally Posted by aclass
Your choice of Michelins is a very good one. Those are exceptional tires. But if you change your mind, I have a full set of F1's removed from 2012 with less than 500 miles that I'm trying to sell.
so what tires did you put on when you took off your f1's? hmmm
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

When I bought my car with 3019 miles, it came from NJ. The original owner removed the F1's because of the environment and replaced them with the Pilots. So I also bought the F1's when I got the car.
you will not be disappointed with the Michelins.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM
jonchicoine

THANKS
Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2011 GT with GT500 wheels and GY F1s. No vibration what-so-ever. These tires get an undeserved bad rep. When they're cold they lack grip, but when there warm they are pretty sticky.

Having said that, I think the new PSS is the best tire you can buy right now. I'd get 'em!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ansibe
I have a 2011 GT with GT500 wheels and GY F1s. No vibration what-so-ever. These tires get an undeserved bad rep. When they're cold they lack grip, but when there warm they are pretty sticky.

Having said that, I think the new PSS is the best tire you can buy right now. I'd get 'em!
Actually, I think you should save yourself a bunch of money and buy my F1's
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
jonchicoine

Yeah, for sure, i'm really disspointed by that vibration.... however, i don't know that much about cars and what might be the cause other than a wheel out of balance.

Like i think i said, they did a Road Force test, and test FL, and RR were out of spec. However, the problem didn't go away after that.... so, they insisted on keeping the car overnight, only to follow up the next day with some "bulletin" they claimed about the stock tires having issues...

well... the bulletin said nothing of the sort ... it just talked about them being track tires and not being good under 40 degrees... (i'ts been in the 90-100's and only down to mid 70's at night since i bought the car)... or on rough city streets...

well... at this point, i told them that didn't cut it, but they said it was the tires...

so now... i don't know what else to do... except get new non stock tires, and see if there's still a "vibration" ...
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 AM
jonchicoine

Originally Posted by aclass
Actually, I think you should save yourself a bunch of money and buy my F1's
but i have the f1s on there, and they aren't going to troubleshoot the problem any further if i put another pair of those on ....
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I bought my car in 2010 with 1400 on the original tires. No vibration but they were really slick when cold. I put Nitto 555's on and they seem stickier and better in cooler weather too. I think I'm going to try the Pilot Super Sports next time too!

Quick Reply: What tires for 2011 SVT GT500