Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GodAmGT00
Damn I love that hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the McLeod a multi-disc clutch, or just a harder biting PP/Disc combo??

JT
Thank you .. It's a cervinis hood.. Replaced it for a steal..'a friend and member here did all the work on it

Mccleod rxt is dual disk clutch that is a 1,000,000 times better than stock
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Good to hear!!! Sounds like a clutch is definitely in order then.. The GT500s I've been scouting out have only 2 real requirements: Have to have less than 30,000 miles on them, and they have to be from a Ford Dealership, as I feel they'd probably do a bit better job going over the car before the sale.. Plus, I've been offered a bunch for my F150 which will be going in for the trade, from the Ford dealer near my house..

Now for the "starter kit," did you guys do the install, or was that with a shop installing it??

JT
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Install on what ? All mods.. I had some mods done by shops some by me.. Of course vmp TVS and tune etc was done by vmp
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I guess in general, with any of the bolt-on stuff.. I know there are a few good dyno shops near where I live that I've used for other cars in the past.. I don't have a datalogger and probably wouldn't buy a wideband O2 set-up, if they even make them..

JT
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Install on what ? All mods.. I had some mods done by shops some by me.. Of course vmp TVS and tune etc was done by vmp
Buddy of mine did the vmp tvs install in about 90 mins. Best 90 mins ever!

You'll probably want a shop to do the clutch install as the RXT's are very nice, they are also very particular on specs when installing. That and the 3.73 gears were the only things on mine that I haven't done myself.

Everything else, I've done on jack-stands. I've saved alot in labor too

VMP TVS blower, JBA Longtubes (PITA on jackstands) , O/R x, borla stinger axlebacks, DSS 1-piece driveshaft, upper and lower control arms, eibach pro-kit lowering springs, 72 lb injectors, NGK TR6 plugs, 127mm JLT CAI, 10% lower pulley, VMP Boost-a-pumps, Dual-Fan heat exchanger with larger resevoir, 170* thermostat, JLT oil catch-can, MGW short throw shifter, Avic D3 deck, Aeroforce Interceptor dual guages on SOS pillar pod, Valentine 1 (hardwired), and other miscellaneous stuff...

Don't worry... you'll get bit with the mod bug as well!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Now for the "starter kit," did you guys do the install, or was that with a shop installing it??

JT

Install on CAI/Tune/Pulley shouldn't take more than a couple of hours and is something you can do if you have even just a small bit of mechanical skill. I would suggest buying the VMP pulley tool to remove the stock pulley and press the new one on. Don't worry too much about a dyno, if you buy the package from VMP their tune will be on the money. AFTER I put VMP's blower on my car I put it on a dyno to do some data logging just to be certain, and the tune was spot on with A/F and it drove better than stock. Good guys and they know their stuff.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Good to hear!!! I do know from experience that LTs suck, regardless of how you install them.. I've put them on 3 different vehicles, and I'd say the New Edge was the WORST by far, so I can only imagine it isn't fun with these either.. I'd think it might not be quite as bad, as the exhaust hardware is probably not corroded or beaten up as much..

What was your guys' motivation for swapping out blowers?? And the Stang has a multi-piece driveshaft?? That's kinda weird.. Is there a carrier underneath there??

Everything else seems a bit straight-forward.. Thanks a ton for all of the information guys!!! This is not making it and easy case for the Cobra, other than the overall cost of mods, but I really think if I can find a solid GT500 when I get home, I'm all over it!!

JT
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

What was your guys' motivation for swapping out blowers?? And the Stang has a multi-piece driveshaft?? That's kinda weird.. Is there a carrier underneath there??

JT
Motivation was simple... GO FASTER. When I bought the car it felt fast, then a couple of months go by and after I get used to it it doesn't feel fast anymore. So I did the pulley/CAI/tune... felt fast again. A few months, the thrill is gone, so I do more... finally this past winter I did the blower swap. Thought the car was going to leave the earths surface it felt so damn fast.... then magically, a few months later it feels "normal" again. It is an ugly, ugly cycle lol.

I took a guy for a ride this past week in my car and he was literally holding on for dear life, meanwhile I was going through the gears fiddling with the radio stations. He thought I was crazy for not being as nervous as he was, but the fact is you just get used to your cars performance, no matter what level it is at. Trust me, buy one and you will see.

The driveshaft is indeed two piece on these cars. Ford had an issue with vibrations due to the length of the chassis on the S197 body style. The easiest (& cheapest) way to fix it apparently was to make the driveshaft a 2pc design. Now, companies have come out with lighterweight aluminum 1pc shafts that are prefectly balanced and offer no vibration, and they are a good idea if you turn the wick up.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

My motivation was Justin...(owner vmp) he always has something working to make our cars faster.. He created his TVS and spoke with me about being one of the first and ..great deal... Great install ... Great tune.. All at Justin's place ... Voila... New sc.. Power is awesome,, but I don't track my car.. Just wanted it cuz .. I dunno .. Just because
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
My motivation was Justin...(owner vmp) he always has something working to make our cars faster.. He created his TVS and spoke with me about being one of the first and ..great deal... Great install ... Great tune.. All at Justin's place ... Voila... New sc.. Power is awesome,, but I don't track my car.. Just wanted it cuz .. I dunno .. Just because
You just wanted the extra hp in case you needed to pass someone moving slowly on the interstate

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...