Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...

What's up guys??

I've owned a few Mustangs in the past, and am not really a stranger to the forums, and I had a few questions for those who own GT500s and perhaps those who have also had or have also driven 03-04 Cobras...

I've driven an 03 Cobra and LOVED it!! Handled awesome, gobs of power and I've been a bit of a fan of the New Edge body style (my last Stang was a 2000 GT)..

Anyway, I'm a bit torn, as I will be purchasing one or the other in the next 6-7 months. My questions are simple: A) What kind of reliability/common issues face both models that you owners have found?? B) What felt like a more stable car to drive daily? C) How is the aftermarket for the GT500, in comparison to the Cobra?? I know the Terminator's been out longer, but I know the GT500 is sort of a niche car and a lot of companies have been able to make the transition.

I don't think I'll go wrong either way I go, but I was hoping to get some owner's impressions before I take the plunge. I won't be able to test drive an 07-09 GT500 until late Spring, so I figure I'll take this time to do some research.

Thanks!!

JT
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

My first Mustang was (and still is) an 08 GT500! I have been very satisfied with it. I put Koni Sports and Steeda Comp springs on it and I think that improved the ride and handling a bunch. I have had it on a road course and thought it did well. But I can't give you a comparison since this is my only Mustang. I would really like to try a Cobra and have a feeling I would really like it! Good luck with the decision and I want to hear from the guys that have owned both also!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I figure that when I do get it, I was planning on making it a late Spring-early Fall daily driver, and then tucking it away for the New England Winters.. How's the maintenance schedule, much like regular Mustangs?? Money and maintenance aren't really an issue, as I do all the work myself (used to be a mechanic, but got smart and went back to school to work in the healthcare world).. I sort of assume it's about the same..

I wasn't really planning on doing many mods to it, as 500hp is ample enough for street use.. I know, I know.. I probably will end up doing bolt-ons, but I really want to keep it civil.. That, and I still have to pass MA inspections..

Thanks for the info!!!

JT
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

You're not going to want to keep it stock. It really wakes up with basic bolt-ons. I have driven both. The 03/04 cobras have the seat of the pants type of fast feel, but are not very comfortable on the inside and the shifter feels too far forward for my taste. The GT500 is faster, responds better to mods, and is more comfortable. The aftermarket is out there for them, but you're looking at a while before you're looking to get one. Just go out and test drive one that is for sale. Many people have had both and love both, but most will tell you the GT500 is the better car.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

The 07-09 GT500s are tough to beat. They can be had for a pretty reasonable price now, and you get a platform that gives you the oppurtunity to make a 700rwhp monster that is completely docile on the street. I have never seen a car respond to mods as well as the GT500s do. In stock form they run OK, but once a pulley/tune/CAI combo is added, thats when they really start to wake up.

Buy one... you won't regret it.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Yes!! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!! I still throw the idea of the Terminator around mostly because of the IRS, as I'm a big fan of handling, however the GT500 has had my attention since day 1..

Are there any common problems/issues the GT500s have?? I have done some research and besides reading about a few small issues, I didn't see any..

adidasUNT8: Did you buy your car painted like that, or did you have it painted, because that flat black looks AWESOME!!!!!! I wanted to find one that didn't have racing stripes, but then again, looks don't get you there; performance does!!

Thanks again for the feedback!! I suppose when I get back from overseas, I'll have to test drive one to really feel the difference..

About what have you guys spent in mods, if you don't mind me asking, to get you to where you're happy with your cars??

JT
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I had an 05 GT that I modded heavily.. Sold it with Saleen sc etc .. 423 Rwhp
Thought I would buy a gt500 new in 08... Ordered w all options I wanted ... Thought I Willl never ever mod it.. Well about 3-5k later I have a 750hp torque monster that purrs like a kitty and is very docile until I decide to rip into it...
Love it.... Only issues are clutch tsb ... Mine is now boasting a mccleod rxt so no worries there
A couple other minor gremlins but the biggest challenge I'm aware of is removing my permagrin... And the mod addiction

A few pics

From stock to today
Name:  notasslowas.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  NMRApics001.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  NMRApics002.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  DSC_1239.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  53a977b7.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  54.6 KB

Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Damn I love that hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the McLeod a multi-disc clutch, or just a harder biting PP/Disc combo??

JT
Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GodAmGT00
Yes!! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!! I still throw the idea of the Terminator around mostly because of the IRS, as I'm a big fan of handling, however the GT500 has had my attention since day 1..

Are there any common problems/issues the GT500s have?? I have done some research and besides reading about a few small issues, I didn't see any..

adidasUNT8: Did you buy your car painted like that, or did you have it painted, because that flat black looks AWESOME!!!!!! I wanted to find one that didn't have racing stripes, but then again, looks don't get you there; performance does!!

Thanks again for the feedback!! I suppose when I get back from overseas, I'll have to test drive one to really feel the difference..

About what have you guys spent in mods, if you don't mind me asking, to get you to where you're happy with your cars??

JT
The clutch is the really MAIN issue with the 07-09 cars, my stock one lasted till about 18K miles and several trips to the track. Finally showed signs of the TSB and started slipping. Upgraded to a McLeod RXT and no more worries. The other issue (if you buy a 2007 model) is the harmonic balancer. In 07 ONLY Ford used a really heavy balancer and it needs to be swapped out to the lighter 2008 & up unit ($250) or an aftermarket OD unit ($600). The aftermarket ones will give you a little more boost, meaning more HP and TQ.

I won't tell you exactly how much I have spent on mods, because it will scare you away LOL. It all depends on what you want to do with the car... If you intend on running it at the track and going for the lowet ETs, then you will need to spend more money in places (suspension, drivertrain) that you wouldn't normally spend if you were just planning on a weekend cruiser. But to start with, you can make appx 525rwhp with the "starter kit" as I call it (tune/pulley/CAI) for about $1200. Thats usually enough to tide people over for a while.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I agree with all the guys supporting the GT500 choice...I wouldn't trade my 08 for ANYTHING!
Attached Thumbnails Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...-0723111950.jpg  

Last edited by Lifter583; 10-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...