Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Curious about upgrades for a 2009 Shelby

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM
twitchster

Default Curious about upgrades for a 2009 Shelby

My question is basically about required upgrades after making a few optional ones. I was looking at possibly getting the Steeda supercharger pulley, some axleback exhaust, and a Steeda Cold air intake system with tune. Now, from what I read, this combo will add roughly 150HP. That being said, what other upgrades would be required in order for my car to handle that kind of additional power without it falling to pieces? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I realize this might be a stupid question, but it's an honest one.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

No other mods should be required to handle that kind of hp. I've got a CAI & tune, & FRPP exhaust. Pulley coming later. If I have a wheel hop problem I'll get lower control arms, but that's about all I'm planning on. Has your clutch been replaced/upgraded yet?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 PM
twitchster

No it hasn't. I was actually thinking about doing that too though. The clutch I was looking was the RAM Powergrip clutch HD though. It says it's rated at 650HP which is roughly what I'm hoping to have after the mods. So the clutch is really the only thing I'll need to worry about? Awesome. Honestly, I was afraid I would have to upgrade the internals of the motor.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by twitchster
No it hasn't. I was actually thinking about doing that too though. The clutch I was looking was the RAM Powergrip clutch HD though. It says it's rated at 650HP which is roughly what I'm hoping to have after the mods. So the clutch is really the only thing I'll need to worry about? Awesome. Honestly, I was afraid I would have to upgrade the internals of the motor.
Clutches on the 07-09's are prone to shuddering at take-off. Lots of good info on this over on the Team Shelby forums. I'm going to upgrade mine with either the 2010 clutch setup, or the MacLeod RST or RXT.
The internals on these motors are forged, so they're the last thing you need to worry about. People put Kenne Bell blowers on them all the time, & make 800+ hp.

Last edited by mcate; 12-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

At those numbers, not much more is needed... However I will caution you to try and map out your goals...many of us have stated ... I'm only going to do this to end up being bitten by the mod bug and desire for more power... I include myself in that group
2008/09 (right after I got my car) I swore I only wanted a cai and tune... Then I did he pulley 440 Rwhp ....then 495 Rwhp.. then 550 .. Years later I now have an upgraded supercharger ... Mccleod rxt clutch... Many suspension upgrades .. Shifters.. Etcetc and over 675 Rwhp.... So just take time to write down your goals and then map out what you need
Good luck... The mod bug bites hard.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

^^^^ What he said.

If I were you, I would do the following:

VMP combo.... 2.5" pulley/Tune/JLT 123mm CAI
Clutch : McLeod RXT (the ONLY clutch to put in the GT500s IMHO)

That way you have a big enough CAI for a larger blower in the future, and enough clutch to handle the added power of a bigger blower. No need to do anything twice, so buy parts that will support future modifications.

You wont have to do any internal engine mods till you reach the 800rwhp level, and no fuel upgrade till you reach roughly the 650rwhp level. With just the pulley/CAI/tune you will be in the 530-540rwhp neighborhood. Happy Modding!!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Yea same as everyone else is stating and like the last post any intake, exhaust sc pully and tune will only get you to about 550 or so. To get any higher you would need a ported sc, lower pulley etc which are expensive mods so to speak.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM
twitchster

Well, I'm excited to learn that the internals are forged. That is awesome! I have another question now. The Steeda Ultimate pack says it will give up to an additional 144rwhp. Does that sound accurate? They have dyno pulls on youtube with the kit and it makes 560rwhp. What would that make at the crank? Roughly 670hp? I don't what the power loss percentage is, I was just guesstimating 20% from crank to rear wheels because the video starts with 420rwhp at stock and if you multiply that by 1.2 it equals 504 which is what a stock GT500 is rated at. It seems like that would make a drastic difference in feel and power.

@GT500Steve: I don't plan on doing a whole lot of mods so I don't want to get anything that would temp me to sink a lot more money into it. If I can get close to the numbers I've listed above, I would be more then happy with that. Don't think that I don't appreciate your input though because I really do. It's just like cheftjpeck said, I have a road map laid out so the mod bug doesn't kill me.

@Mcate: What kind of power are you putting to the rear wheels with just the mods you have?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm excited to learn that the internals are forged. That is awesome! I have another question now. The Steeda Ultimate pack says it will give up to an additional 144rwhp. Does that sound accurate? They have dyno pulls on youtube with the kit and it makes 560rwhp. What would that make at the crank? Roughly 670hp? I don't what the power loss percentage is, I was just guesstimating 20% from crank to rear wheels because the video starts with 420rwhp at stock and if you multiply that by 1.2 it equals 504 which is what a stock GT500 is rated at. It seems like that would make a drastic difference in feel and power.

@GT500Steve: I don't plan on doing a whole lot of mods so I don't want to get anything that would temp me to sink a lot more money into it. If I can get close to the numbers I've listed above, I would be more then happy with that. Don't think that I don't appreciate your input though because I really do. It's just like cheftjpeck said, I have a road map laid out so the mod bug doesn't kill me.

@Mcate: What kind of power are you putting to the rear wheels with just the mods you have?
I would say that 144 rwhp might be stretching it a little , but not much. Who know's really.... so many things can vary between dyno sessions. My car with a 2.6 upper, 10% lower, 110mm JLT CAI, O/R X-pipe, and Lund tune made 553/568 on a chassis dyno. If the dyno they tested on is a little more generous, then they could have definitely hit those numbers. I have heard the common # is 17% for drivetrain loss....

As for the clutch, even if you were going to leave it totally stock, I would still say McLeod RXT. With the lighter than stock pedal, it makes the car a PLEASURE to drive. Do some research on them... I have personally never had one person tell me they liked the Ram clutch in their GT500, whereas there are TONS of threads about how many people LOVE the RXT units. Is it more expensive???? Yes. Is it a better clutch???? YES!!!

You are very wise in mapping out your plans for the car, I just started throwing parts at mine lol.... and I learned a few things the hard way. Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

07-09's were rated lower than yours stock, 500 hp vs. your 540. Brenspeed (absolutely GREAT people to deal with, by the way) advertises an 80-100 fwhp gain from the JLT CAI w/their tune. I've always figured 15-17% loss for manual transmission cars, & 23-25% for automatics. If you figure 580 at the fw, & subtract 15%, that'd leave 493 at the wheels. So I figure I'm somewhere in that area. An O/D pulley should gain me another 20-25 hp, & put me safely over 500 & the wheels. That's my plan. I'm more into showing the car than racing anyway.
Give Brenspeed a call @ 574 594-9559. They're up in northern Indiana. I dealt with them several times on my 09 GT. I had them install cams, & I bought a lot of parts from them for that car. When I got my Shelby I got my CAI & tune from them. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Last edited by mcate; 12-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curious about upgrades for a 2009 Shelby