Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

How do wash your black Shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM
dougestyle

Default How do wash your black Shelby?

Got a brand new black Shelby GT500. So how do you guys wash black without making swirl marks and such. Second part of my question (what to wax with) was answered in a recent thread but not sure how to get to that point...lol.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I only use a California Duster(<< a must have) and either Meguires Quick Wax or Detailer before every trip out of the garage (full wax jobs 2x a yr)...ONLY good Microfiber towels...I have the entire front filmed so I have no debris or bug problems...I might have washed the cars once last yr is all...but again depends on your driving...I only take them out on dry sunny days and I dont get them dirty...other then I do wash the grill and front film when needed...

Last edited by Lifter583; 04-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:41 PM
HoboDxb
2nd Gear Member

Lambswool wash mitt to keep swirl marks to a minimum and fresh microfibers every now and then..
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dougestyle
Got a brand new black Shelby GT500. So how do you guys wash black without making swirl marks and such. Second part of my question (what to wax with) was answered in a recent thread but not sure how to get to that point...lol.
As stated already, California duster, followed by clean (new) microfiber cloths with your favorite detail spray. The only wax I've used on my black car, is Turtle Wax "Black Box", and the results look good. The detail spray that comes with it, leaves my matte-black stripes looking sort of semi-gloss, but even all over, and not mottled like other detail sprays have. I recommend that you dust and detail spray clean your car often, and keep washing to a minimum, lessening your chance of swirls.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Shadow34606

Default Thanks guy

Thanks guy for each of your respond, each of your comment is going to help me. My biggest worry is scratching my car and leaving Shirley marks after I wax the car, since there has been only 4,000 2012 Shelby GT500 made, I am trying to keep my car as new as I got it.....so again,thank you all for your help
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
BCstang33
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
As stated already, California duster, followed by clean (new) microfiber cloths with your favorite detail spray. The only wax I've used on my black car, is Turtle Wax "Black Box", and the results look good. The detail spray that comes with it, leaves my matte-black stripes looking sort of semi-gloss, but even all over, and not mottled like other detail sprays have. I recommend that you dust and detail spray clean your car often, and keep washing to a minimum, lessening your chance of swirls.
Every Car I have had has been black, I agree with the above comment get a California duster, When washing use the two bucket method (Use one bucket for wheels and one bucket for the rest of the car) This will cut down on dirt and contaminants from getting on the rest of the car. Always use microfibers never anything else. If your going to wax I would recommend using Meguires Professional series #26 wax, Seems to work the best for me and it comes off easily, I have always been told if you have a black car and are going to wax by hand use back and forth motions not circular motions this should cut down on swirls also but you will get the best results out of a buffer I use a porter cable 7424XP (Best one I have ever owned).
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

california duster will scratch your paint. wash it like you would every other car..Properly
2 buckets,1 with rinse water other with soap. grit guards in each bucket. use a proper wash mitt/sponge not some junk from walmart. I use the microfibermadness incrdisponge. Get some quality MF towels not the junk at any local auto store or walmart they will scratch the paint.
Here is a good place to shop for quality products not junk
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/home.asp
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I'm surprised by the number of people that use the California Duster.

Personally I use a foam canon, two buckets, and then an air compressor (a poor mans master blaster). The less that touches the car, the better. I only use a clean towel for where I have to.

Last edited by dkpGTCS; 02-01-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea I have a bin of MF that are ONLY allowed to touch my paint as they are the high quality ones. but after so long they also make it to the misc bin after losing their softness over time. I have a knock off metro blaster I got at walmart YEARS ago..same exact specs as the bike blaster and i only paid $20 I wish i would have bought 2.
i like my foam canon to
if you follow proper steps and know how to buff out your car black is easy to keep perfect.
my previous '10 GT
Name:  JOND6547.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  106.1 KB
Name:  JOND6550.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  152.7 KB

Last edited by 05xrunner; 02-01-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

i don't know how effective the California duster but i pick one up just the other day due to all the recommendation from this post but all it did was move the dust from one side to another. maybe my car have develop a new type of dust that even the mighty California duster can't handle it, or maybe i'm using it wrong lol. anyways what do you guys think of this as far as removing swirls and minor scratches.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...X-2.0/16550259

Quick Reply: How do wash your black Shelby?