Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2013 Shelby weight loss diet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Default 2013 Shelby weight loss diet?

First let me start by saying, I LOVE THIS SHELBY! It truly feels great right out of the box.

Having said that, we all want to tinker with our stuff and make it better.

I don't want to mess with the power or suspension or anything like that for awhile.

So what can I do about reducing weight? Especially weight off the front of the car?

What I got:
2013 GT500 fully loaded w/ SVT and TRACK packages and Shaker Pro ( no glass roof ).

Insideline weighed their car with this same configuration minus the Shaker Pro at 3869 and I've personally weighed the Shaker Pro at 22lbs which puts me at 3891lbs. That's a chubby girl. Plus I'm 6'4 and 200lbs which is about 50lbs more than the average driver. I don't need to lose any weight but my baby does.

How?

Things I've considered:
(Driveshaft is already CF so thats out)

1. Remove shaker pro. Maybe but it's easy to take in and out.

2. Battery swap with a light weight Odyssey battery. Anyone try this?

3. Rear seat delete? How much weight can I save here?

4. Lighter wheels? I do love the look of the stock wheels but wouldnt mind lighter up front and wider in the back.

5. Remove a cat or replace some pipeage with lighter pipes? Goal isn't to make power or change the sound, just to lose weight.

6. Mufflers (Suggested by Andy13186)

Any other ideas?

Thanks all!

Last edited by angryBits; 07-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Update - I pulled out the air pump and styrofoam housing and the carpet mounted to particle board in the trunk, I weighed it and it was 12lbs.

At first I thought it was stupid removing the carpet/particle board to save a few pounds but then after looking at how much trunk space you get with the carpet and air pump removed, I decided it was worth removing just for 2x the trunk space.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

light weight wheels are a great mod - not only are shaving general weight, but you are shaving unsprung weight .. which is way more noticeable!

I cant fathom the SVT package wheels being very heavy though - how much do they weigh? on my 350Z I had some forged, light weight wheels by rays engineering. I ran 19x9 19x10 and they were right around 20 lbs a wheel, the wheels I swapped from were over 30 lbs per wheel - such a huge difference in driving.

.. sell me your wheels if you replace them? they are purty!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
light weight wheels are a great mod - not only are shaving general weight, but you are shaving unsprung weight .. which is way more noticeable!

I cant fathom the SVT package wheels being very heavy though - how much do they weigh? on my 350Z I had some forged, light weight wheels by rays engineering. I ran 19x9 19x10 and they were right around 20 lbs a wheel, the wheels I swapped from were over 30 lbs per wheel - such a huge difference in driving.

.. sell me your wheels if you replace them? they are purty!
Yeah dropping wheel weight is huge but I love the look of the SVT wheels. I believe they're 30lbs each which isn't terrible for 20x9.5s.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Aftermarket mufflers can remove 20+ lbs, if they are the same or similar to the huge mufflers that come on the 2011+ GT's. Wheels and tires would be good, lightweight battery like you said. Mabe some type of carbon fiber hood would reduce like 8 lbs, probably not worth while.

Wheels and tires can be like 8+ lbs per rim and tire if you get the right rims and tires.

What type of driveshaft is in the 2013's? that may be another way to reduce unsprung weight.

How about a smaller S/C pully? lol that would be good may reduce the weight by a few ounces but bump the boost up a few lbs. How easy and effective is a pully swap and a tune on the 2013s?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Aftermarket mufflers can remove 20+ lbs, if they are the same or similar to the huge mufflers that come on the 2011+ GT's. Wheels and tires would be good, lightweight battery like you said. Mabe some type of carbon fiber hood would reduce like 8 lbs, probably not worth while.

Wheels and tires can be like 8+ lbs per rim and tire if you get the right rims and tires.

What type of driveshaft is in the 2013's? that may be another way to reduce unsprung weight.

How about a smaller S/C pully? lol that would be good may reduce the weight by a few ounces but bump the boost up a few lbs. How easy and effective is a pully swap and a tune on the 2013s?
Mufflers are a good call. I love the stock sound, but if theres something else out there that sounds similar or better and is lighter, I would do it.

I'm not sure but I think the hood is CF from the factory? It's definitely not metal, I can tell when I knock on it.

I love the stock wheels too hahaha but I want wider in the back so I may have to get a lighter set all around.

Driveshaft isn't unsprung, but it is rotational weight and very good to reduce, however the 2013 comes with a CF driveshaft. Badass right?

As for the pulley, I'm not interested in increasing power. The car has more power than my tires can handle. I have to be super careful to not accelerate too hard in turns even with traction control on.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Leave it alone! Nice the way it is, already lighter than the ZL1
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
S19706
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't touch a thing. The only change should be ultra lightweight wheels and that's about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Your not focusing on removing weight from the front...... do not remove weight from rear.

Odessa battery re-loocated to rear. 38 lbs removed from front, 19 added to rear-good
Mid tube headers remove 14 lbs
Eventually a light weight tubular K-member and a arms. 35lbs
lighter alum flywheel eventually. 15 lbs

Total so far 102lbs off the front, 19lbs added to rear.

At 3852 a stock 57%/43% 2196 front 1656 rear

New weight 2094 front 1675 rear 55.5% front 44.5% rear

Get rid of another 100 lbs off the front, and you'll be a little below 52%/48% ratio. Erik
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
Your not focusing on removing weight from the front...... do not remove weight from rear.

Odessa battery re-loocated to rear. 38 lbs removed from front, 19 added to rear-good
Mid tube headers remove 14 lbs
Eventually a light weight tubular K-member and a arms. 35lbs
lighter alum flywheel eventually. 15 lbs

Total so far 102lbs off the front, 19lbs added to rear.

At 3852 a stock 57%/43% 2196 front 1656 rear

New weight 2094 front 1675 rear 55.5% front 44.5% rear

Get rid of another 100 lbs off the front, and you'll be a little below 52%/48% ratio. Erik
While I would like to shoot for something closer to 50/50 weight distribution, It's still better to reduce weight where you can.

I'd rather drop 100lbs and still be at 57/43 than stay the same weight and be 56/44.

The car feels fairly well balanced as it is.

Quick Reply: 2013 Shelby weight loss diet?