Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

completed exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:04 PM
05_986

Default completed exhaust mod

I just completed the exhaust mod by bypassing the dump valves. sounds great. any more easy cheap mods?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: competed exhaust mod

$180 or so for an off road H pipe from Brenspeed, plus $50 or so for the MIL eliminators. I did it and I love it - made a big difference in the exhaust note and does not require a reflash. Just beware the exhaust will have a strong smell to it initially.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
ksizzle
1st Gear Member

i tried searching, but what is the exhaust mod. and how does it sound?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 PM
05_986

read through this link and you will find out how to do it. https://mustangforums.com/m_541893/tm.htm.

It makes all four exhaust pipes open all the time whereas before, the pipes under the skirt were vacumn opened at full throttle. the only thing i don't like about it is that it is a little loud and annoying at cruising speed. oh well, i don't drive mine that much anyway. if i was to go on a trip with it, i would probably hook the valves back up.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:40 PM
05_986

Default RE: completed exhaust mod

I had some extra time today, so i re-did my exhaust valve mod. i hooked everything back up and inserted an inline brass gate valve so i can easily apply the mod when needed. I will more than likely leave them open cruising around home, but if i go on a road trip, i will be closing them back up. too annoying at 65mph in my opinion. You can tell i was bored this afternoon to go to this much trouble for the dump valves

I'm also taking my car in tomorrow to get the sway bar clunking fixed and the passenger inside door release handle fixed.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
tim281
1st Gear Member

I had to have s281 in ford for some warranty stuff so I had them do the exhaust valve rattle fix.
After picking up the car it was immediately obvious that the sound was a lot louding inside the car around the 2K rpm range on the highway. I think I will install a brass tee in my vacuum line also so that I may turn it off and on whenever I desire.

As for the fix, my ford dealer just pulled off the vacuum hose that tees off at the back of the intake and then they shoved a rubber vacuum plug into the hose. I took some needle nose plyers and pulled out the rubber plug and will be doing the tee fitting in line when I get a chance to pick up some parts.

I was looking back to the divertor valves and I may try stop the rattle by re-engineering the valves. It looks like you maybe able to put some wave washer springs to bias the linkages or add a spring to fix the rattle? Since the valve only rattles when it is actuating, it seems like the pivot interfaces are not constrainted enough to keep them from vibrating.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Tmack
2nd Gear Member

I've yet to fix the rattle on my exhaust and was planning on doing it this week. But after listening to others on this site, maybe I'm better off just replacing the stock mufflers with a set of magnaflows. What do you think?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:09 AM
tim281
1st Gear Member

You can test out the fix yourself before the dealer does anything. Just get a vacuum plug and close off the tee that goes to the muffler divertors. I think you should evaulate how loud the exhaust is for yourself, you may like it since it seems some prefer the louder exhaust note. On the other hand, you could also just fix the divertors in the closed position and I bet the exhaust flow would only be a couple horsepower different at the most. Fixing the divertors in the closed position with take a clamp,tie, or something to keep the valves closed.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Personally I can't understand why you would want to put in the T and be able to use the valves for just "cruising" It is not THAT much louder - it just sounds better overall. Hell, I have a off road H pipe and I still don't consider my car overly loud or annoying to the point I would want the valves to function [&:] You guys must REALLY not like exhaust noise I say do the bypass and leave it be - you'll find the exhaust note to be pleasing
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Guys if you go to the dealer and tell them to call Saleen about it, Saleen will put a brand new 2006 exhaust on there, with no valves at all. I did it, and it sounds much deeper at low RPM's and not much louder at all cruizing the hwy.

Quick Reply: completed exhaust mod