Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

ALL 2006 SALEEN EXTREME OWNERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ALL 2006 SALEEN EXTREME OWNERS

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

^^WRONG^^!!!!!! Today's radios are 100% electronic and have internal batteries on the circuit boards to hold the memory of ALL THE VARIOUS settings (stations, bass/treble settings, etc.....) for the non-volatile memory. So to say that is not correct for anything in the last 30 years is bogus. These radios in question are FACTORY, not stereo shop custom jobs.

Now, have radio makers done something wrong lately....probably, but do I have an issue with turning my radio off before I shut down the engine....not in the least.

If you are bored and want to come to southern Indianapolis, please come on in and I will show you a 2000 Mazda Miata, a 2000 Corvette, and my 2005 Mustang that will ALL start right up after 3 months of storage with the radio in the OFF position (all factory systems) or if all were left in the ON position....all would be dead requiring a jump-start.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here.

I have had numerous trucks and cars over the last 20 years, and have never had one "go dead" because it sat too long until I got my Saleen.

My daily driver, a 2007 GMC Sierra has EVERY option available, including the NAV system which keeps current GPS location and map info while the truck is off. It has the Bose hi-performance stereo with sub and amps which draw current while the ignitions off, andit also draws current for the Onstar system so that the doors can be unlocked remotely via satellite if needed.

That truck sat for almost 3 weeks while I was in Greece, in 40 degree weather, and started right up when I returned. I didn't turn off the radio before I shut it off, I didn't walk round the truck backwards or perform any black magic-I turnedthe engineoff and took the key out.

My Saleen sits in a garage, in a climate controlled setting, and the battery goes dead within8-10 days whether I switch the radio off or not before turning off the engine. I finally broke down and bought a Battery Tender so that I didn't have to worry about it anymore.

Ridiculous.

The Mustang problem is a design flaw, its a widespread documented problem, and onethat should have been corrected period.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ I agree with Eric, and was gonna put a little challenge to Jasons post as well, although I think he mis-spoke by mistake (you know I love ya Axeman )

I have an '02 (as well as an aftermarket sound system due to stock systems nearly ALWAYS suck [:'(]) but there is an issue with the stereo head-unit as he described. I have never heard of this issue on any other car, but don't shop other forums as I am monogamous to MF's .

Eric is also correct that ALL modern stereo head-units draw a certain amount of power to keep memory alive (again, I think Jason didn't clarify well on this point). My understanding is the amplifier trigger switch that is sent power by head-unit is not consistantly released when key is turned off while sound system is "on". Personally, If I had an '05+ Stang, I would have pulled that baby out (as I did with my '02) within weeks of purchasing the car, and probably would have not had a dead battery issue at all[8D]

Reguarding the stock stereos, I say "Yank it, so you can Crank it and........ don't wake me up to Bank it????? I thought there was a Ted joke somewhere in there, but was wrong [&o]

jazzer
Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Wait a minute, wait a minute...... I was leaving MY stereo on when stopping motor and just about when db28 was having all his problems. You don't suppose............?

Sorry db [sm=imsorry.gif]

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Thanks for the laugh, great way to start the day.

I'm sorry for those who aren't able to solve the battery drain simply by turning off the radio first, guess I am lucky to have a simple solution that doesn't bother me to use. For those who aren't so fortunate, I wonder if switching to an Optima or the like would extend the time until drain enough to make a difference? Personally I would use it as an excuse to dump the factorystereo, but I understand how frustrating this problem would be and agree that folks should not have to spend their own dollars for a solution.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
04#231SC
3rd Gear Member

I have an on 04 Saleen SC , factory stereo/ Istart it up once a month or so and let it run for 10-15 minutes. I broke my leg on Feb 14th (I was about to fix a garage support beam that had popped off because of all the snow on my roof)but before I did I had pulled the car out of the garage and let it sit and idlefor about 15-20 minutes I guess. I just really got going again yesterday April 12, so that is about 8 weeks and 2 days since the car was last started. It wanted to turn over but then when clickety click and I had to jump it. I got it running let it go for about 20 minutes and everything is fine. So I dont know if this problem was an issue on the 99 -04 cars as well. I just thought this was a normal issue, A car sits in the cold (non heated garage) and it gets drawn down by the stereo, the alarm and whatever else. So I guess I dont have an issue if it takes 7-8 weeks for that to happen. Now my 89 Saleen it would do it after about a month when I stored the car. So I stopped leaving the battery in the car and just unhooked it and putit in the closet near the kithchen where it was room temperature. But I would still have to jump it every year. I had smaller pulleys on that car and I was told the parasitic hP that I was saving was actually bad as that is what helped to juice the battery more when I drove it. But that car was only used for 1000 or so miles a year like this one, so I just chalked it up to a cost of doing business. Now one last point and I will get off the stump speach. it is un-acceptabel to me that if I spent $60,000 and every time I let my car sit for a week w/o starting it I then had to jump it. I would be Pissed off. To me that would not be a normal part of doing business.

Just another opinion and as we all know..... everyone has one..

Peace.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
BuyBack#128
Don't buy a car from this guy

** oddysey says no **

Last edited by ODDYSEY; 03-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

^ This guy really is extreme.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Can you feel the love
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Can you feel the love
Not that I want to give this thread any more attention, but this at least bumped it so that I could read the whole thing - and a fun read it was! How much do you want to bet that this car winds up with a washed title, and back on the market as a clean-Saleen within a few years?

Ahhhh, Saleens - may the drama never end!

Chris.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

This guy looks like the same troll that started this thread, at least it looks like he owns the same car that started this thing.

After he called the mod out, I re-read all twenty pages mostly because I was bored, and came to the conclusion that this is a worthless thread and should be locked and forgotten.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:28 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I think that is a wonderful idea. Consider it done.

Voila!