Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Super Charger Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Default Super Charger Bad??

Hopefully someone can shine some light on this. I think there is something wrong with my SC. It just doesn't have that hi pitch jet sound at idle anymore and the whine seems to be weaker when it does kick in while driving. I've checked my belt, all accesories and pullies and they appear to be serviceable. I have 22K on the motor and this just started hhappening a couple of days ago after a 600 mile drive on the highway. Any SC experts out there that can help me isolate the issue. I have the series II blower with stock pulley. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Super Charger Bad??

High pitched sound at idleis the jet that runs coolant through your intercooler not the supercharger itself (you will not be making any boost at idle/sitting still). Is yourintercooler H2O temp. reading any higher? Warm air will make the supercharger inefficient.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

check all vacuum lines!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response. I'll have to check all the lines tomorrow. H20 temp is running cool..around 130, I guess that's normal. I did notice that on my drive back after passing a semi my H20 temp was like around 165. I took it easy after that and it took a while for it to drop back down to around 130. Today the temp has been fine running around 130 while driving around town, but the supercharger just doesn't sound right that's what has got me all worried now. I'll let you know what I find after inspecting all the lines/connections. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Do you have a boost gauge? Any differences in boost level?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have the stock Saleen boost/H20 temp gauges. What should I be looking for, indication wise when the boost kicks in? What is considered normal and abnormal? I've only had the car for about a month, it has only 22K on it and my last ride was an 02 GT. I'm new to the SC system and still trying to figure it all out. If my intercooler pump was bad or somewhat bad would this cause the lack of "jet noise" when at idle?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
C.Saleen
2nd Gear Member

that jet noise you might have been heraing could have been the heat exchanger fans, check them to make sure there spining, there behind that small balck radiator in the front bumber, look like to little house fans
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well, it appears that it builds up boost ok. I think those are 6psi stock? Anyway I was looking under the car last night and saw the fans. Should those always be on? or only when it reaches a certain temp? I can hear my intercooler pump running so I hope that's ok. I'll have to take a look at the fan later today after work. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

I'll bet you 100 bucks your intercooler lines/hoses are becoming or are already clogged. That is what we start to see on the 00-01 cars regardles of mileage. Exactly like a clogged artery to your heart.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

So how do you flush the system? open the drain and run radiator flush through it and water until the system is completely flushed out? Kinda like flushing the radiator? Wouldn't the system be reading on the hot side if it was clogged?

Quick Reply: Super Charger Bad??