Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Modifications? What kind?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default Modifications? What kind?

Hi all! I'm new to the whole mustang scene. In August I bought a 99 gt. I wanted to send it into Saleen, but being that i'm only 16, I didn't have the money for it yet. So, instead, I bought the body kit/rims/etc; and now it looks exactly like it went to Saleen. I figure that it's now time for phase 2 of the operation.

I'm looking to get up to about 600 hp. I heard the GT can handle about 500 without replacing the back end...so I will just get up to about 480 for now. I want to get a blower (most likely a procharger with intercooler) but I want to upgrade the engine so I can have as much "all hp from engine" as possible. What are the first crucial things I should do in order to maximize power without breaking my piggy bank (more than 1500). I heard that cam and some heads would be a good first step. But-- what about plenums/throttlebody/bore and storked, etc. I plan to run my Procharger at about 16-22 psi when i get it. Any info is greatly appreciated.

My car is a 99 gt with power everything...jvc cd player and a 15 audiobahn 2200 peak in the back. It doesnt have any engine mods cept for a full flowmaster American Thunger exhaust....it has 30,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 PM
smed
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Modifications? What kind?

good luck running 22 psi though your stock engine, save some more money when you blow your engine
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Apparently you missread the post. For one, I said that "info is greatly appreciated...." not bull****.
First timer with a stang? Cuz 22 wont blow your engine if you have the proper modifications. AKA forged internals/bored and stroked/etc.

I was asking because I have limited funding and was wondering what should be done first to maximize power.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Whoa, thought I posted this for some reason...

But anyways, 22psi just won't do on a stock engine.
Doubt your block could even handle that.
So save your pennies a bit longer and start with a good solid foundation(new block) and go from there.
A GOOD new bare block may run you around 1500-2500, but worth the investment if you plan on producing the power you're talking with 22psi from a blower.
Also you'll have other things to look into besides that, rear end, tranny, clutch blah blah.

So being you're only 16, start with just bolt ons for now.
Try a set of 4.10 gears, Long Tubes, offroad midpipe, underdrive pulleys, shifter/shift kit(depending on auto/5spd) possibly a whole new induction system from the filter to the TB. Plenty of bolt ons to spend your cash on, most give decent gains. But like I said if you want to go big, be willing to spend.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Okay....well say I could put 5 mods on at a total of 1000 dollars...what should they be?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Say you do all the work yourself:
4.10 Gears
Long Tube Headers
Shorty Offroad Midpipe
Short Throw Shifter
That should be close to 1k or around it
Old 03-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

and how would the short throw shifter maximize power?

If i got the internals forged and everything...how much boost could i run at most?
cuz a buddy a mine is runnin 19 with a 98 cobra
Old 03-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Obselite,

Listen to Obsol3te and work on a few smaller mods that will make your car more enjoyable first. Running any amount of boost can be a costly proposition regardless if you spend the money, pull the motor and have the bottom end built. Yes, you can introduce SOME boost ( in the ballpark of 8-10 lbs. ) without building your bottom end. Why do this if ultimately you will want in the neighborhood of 600 rwhp. I'm not trying to pop your baloon, I'm just trying to get you to be a little more realistic. At your age with no back up funds you could be walking if you JUST buy your blower and pulley it down.
I know you mentioned earlier that you were not in the position to "send your car to Saleen" to have them turn it into a real one. Unfortunately you could not be more incorrect. The ONLY way to own an "authentic" Saleen Mustang is to purchase one that was built at Saleen and originally sold though an authorized Ford Saleen Dealer. There are a few exceptions like the SA-10, 15 and SA20 cars and a few other exceptions. Back in the late 80's and early 90's Saleen did do installation of Saleen parts on customers cars then but NEVER was a non production car "tuned into" a Saleen at any cost. Anyone who tells you different is 100% incorrect. That is the entire idea behind a "real" Saleen Mustang" being a limited production vehicle.
Like Obsol3te said, I would start with a few other mods like gears, headers, X-pipe, underdrive pullies, CAI, and a chip, or a "real" "Powerflash" from Saleen if you must. The shifter is a great idea also. A nice Pro 5.0 or Tri-ax would be nice. Do some research and don't give up asking questions. Let's see some pic's of your ride and we will try to help you achive your "Saleen" look. Even if you have the body kit and wheels you are still short of

C-pillars I'm sure
Springs
Powerflash
Saleen/Hurst shifter
Saleen underdrive pullies
Saleen added K&N filter
Front sway bar

And that's just the N/A version. If you are serious about making BIG H.P. then you should also consider

Bigger brakes
sub frame connectors
Real shocks

Yes, a N/A Saleen Mustang is not a racecar compared to a GT, but it is also a little more than just a body kit and decals.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obselite

and how would the short throw shifter maximize power?

If i got the internals forged and everything...how much boost could i run at most?
cuz a buddy a mine is runnin 19 with a 98 cobra
Safe boost depends on compression and timing and octane and the such.
Can't have a high octane engine w/ massive timing run 22psi on pump gas.
Everything has to kinda work together.
Prolly looking at an 8:1 compression with that kind of boost.

and as to how the shifter would maximize power.
Shorter shifts, and a spring loaded third makes sure you never miss it.
You'd be surprised how much this actually helps.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:37 AM
blank
2nd Gear Member

this kid dont want to take advice sounds like to me. but at least he knows what he wants and is persistant

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modifications? What kind?