Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Replacing center caps

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
TheHighLife

Default Replacing center caps

I own some brand new saleen 18x9 replicas that i got from tire rack. They aren't mounted in the rim yet and i was wondering if i would be able to put on new center caps once they are mounted in the tire and put on my car? If the rim+tire get put together would it be easier just to take them all off and put them on once they are off? Is it possible to put new center caps in once they are on the car?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Replacing center caps

Two issues come into play with center caps, as I just installed some replicas a couple months back. First is the diameter of the center caps becauseSaleen has two sizes. They are like 1/8" difference between them, so you need to accurately measure. Second is the actual pattern inside the wheel center that actually "holds" the cap in place. I measured and got the correct diameter for authentic Saleen caps, but the internal pattern was completely wrong. I ended up using the cap "body" that came with the aftermarket wheels, and peeling the Saleenface off and gluing it onto it. It came out perfect, but was a little work to do.

If you put your wheels on and try to do the same thing afterward, LEAVE THE CENTER CAPS OFF UNTIL YOU FIGURE IT ALL OUT. The caps need to be pushed off from behind the wheel.

Good luck [sm=smiley20.gif]

The Jaz
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

I had to get replica rims for my Saleen because the chrome was nasty on the OEM ones when I bought the car (and one rim was cracked) and I just can't justify spending $1600+ for "real" saleen rims when the aftermarket ones are about $600. The only problem I had with the new center caps I bought are that they don't sit flush with the rim, they sit inset about 1/4 of an inch. It still looks good, but not quite the same as the OEM wheels where the center caps are flush.

I wish I could get the OEM rims fixed... but getting them fixed and re-chromed would cost about the same as buying new OEM Saleens!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert
...The only problem I had with the new center caps I bought are that they don't sit flush with the rim, they sit inset about 1/4 of an inch. It still looks good, but not quite the same as the OEM wheels where the center caps are flush....
That is the exact issue I had. This is why I used the center cap that came with the aftermarket wheels, but the authentic Saleen "sticker". I just carefully peeled the stickers off with razor blade, and used silicone adheasive to attach. Came out puuurrrrfect

Jazzer playing thecello for amy
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert
...The only problem I had with the new center caps I bought are that they don't sit flush with the rim, they sit inset about 1/4 of an inch. It still looks good, but not quite the same as the OEM wheels where the center caps are flush....
That is the exact issue I had. This is why I used the center cap that came with the aftermarket wheels, but the authentic Saleen "sticker". I just carefully peeled the stickers off with razor blade, and used silicone adheasive to attach. Came out puuurrrrfect

Jazzer playing thecello for amy
LOL, I'm not "artistic" enough to trust myself to do that. I'd just ruin a $40 set of center caps. They still look good inset and if you didn't know that the OEM's were supposed to be flush, you'd never know there was anything amiss.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TheHighLife

first of all, sorry for posting in saleen's forum, although the rims are saleen replicas [8D]. I had only got 4 hours of sleep when i posted this. Anyways back on topic, I'm looking at buyingthe chrome saleen center caps off a ebay store. They are 60 bucks with shipping and include 4 center caps that are suppost to fit 17 and 18 inch saleen rims and replicas. These are the rims i have http://www.americanmuscle.com/chromesaleen.htmland you can find the center caps i want by going to ebay and searching for Saleen center caps. They are like a$49.99 buyout with $10.00 shipping price below it but the description info lists a $7 doller shipping price. I figure they will come out atabout $60, maybe a little more. They have alot of positive feedback when it comes to the center caps so i have confidence but could some one look at them and tell me if they will work?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I recommend getting them straight from Saleen, as I did. The cost was closer to $50.00 total and you can ask Saleen (Ispoke with Jared)and confirm the diameter of cap is the same as the replica so you don't get the wrong size.

Jaz