Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

new 07 extreme

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Default new 07 extreme

im new here and need some help, just bought a new 07 extreme off ebay, got good deal flew down drove car and found a few problems dicussed here, have steering wheel shimmy, but im thinking flat spots from hot georgia sun, shifter boot popped loose on every hard shift, im thinking 6 speed shifter in different location then stock and hits boot, is there a fix for this?, also at speeds above 60 mph i notice the rear spoiler shaking, the car is new and drives great otherwise , i had a hard time not hitting the limiter in first with the 4.10 gears tires just lit up to quick i was wondering if 3.73 would be better, ive watched this forum for a long time and it appears to be the most informative i hope you gentleman can give me some help to the few problems i noticed , the car was a blast to drive for the few miles i put on it im having reliable carriers ship it back to new york as they are the only ones i trust we this car , cant wait to get it up here and thanks for any help .
Old 03-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: new 07 extreme

Hello, dyna, and welcome from all of us here at MF's

Now down to bidness. I have an '02, so some of the issues I am not equiped to help much but in general terms. The wheel shimmy has come up before, but didn't seem to be a Ford or Saleen issue, but rather flat spots (as you describe) or wheel balance as I recall. Shifter boot was/is probably not mounted well, but may be related to the fact that the shifter is NOT mounted directly to the transmission. Most here will recommend you get yourself a short-throw shifter and an aftermarket brace that keeps the "bind" out when shifting (may not be binding, but will under hard acceleration) Rear spoiler may be loose, but may be vibration from flat spots again, so drive around some more and see. Here tell, that first gear is some times not used for the reason you describe. Some posts here have talked about it, and seems that it is such a "Granny" gear, that some don't even use it when really digging. You may try lower gears, but high HP of car will always make spinning an issue and you will have to use a tuner to re-calibrate speedo as well.

Again, welcome, and put up some pics already

Jazzer The Cat
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

thanks jazz for the quick reply, the shimmy is so slight i dont think its shaking the spoiler but it sure is annoying , as far as the trans boot issue im pretty sure the shifter went right into the trans , i got a chance to look down on that 6 speed oh about fifty times, yes thats about how many times it came off but maybe im wrong in any case the few problems could not stop me from the purchase ofthis car! itjust screams if you can shift it quick enough, im going to look into a better shifter as you suggested allthough you would think an extreme would have the best in it, even though the gears make first kind of useless in 6th gear at 70 im still under 2000 rpm which is nice, ive had two vipers and a slew of corvettes but there is just something about driving this car that i love and i only drove it 15 miles , once again thanks.
carl
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Get the aftermarket shifter for sure. Take the car to a dealer to have the spoiler fixed. You could take the spoiler off and insert some rubber and tighten back dow to see if this will cure it. While it under warrranty I would have Saleen fix it though.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat
Shifter boot was/is probably not mounted well, but may be related to the fact that the shifter is NOT mounted directly to the transmission. Most here will recommend you get yourself a short-throw shifter and an aftermarket brace that keeps the "bind" out when shifting (may not be binding, but will under hard acceleration)
Doesn't the fact that he has an Extreme mean that he's got a Tremec tranny with a directly-mounted shifter?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

6th gear starts at 80 mph for me. That is about 2000 rpm.

Is that rear spoiler functional or just there for esthetics?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: dramsey

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat
Shifter boot was/is probably not mounted well, but may be related to the fact that the shifter is NOT mounted directly to the transmission. Most here will recommend you get yourself a short-throw shifter and an aftermarket brace that keeps the "bind" out when shifting (may not be binding, but will under hard acceleration)
Doesn't the fact that he has an Extreme mean that he's got a Tremec tranny with a directly-mounted shifter?
I don't think so, but am not the one to confirm it. Someone else needs to chime it.

Jazzer
Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
AL_TOON
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abbas

6th gear starts at 80 mph for me. That is about 2000 rpm.

Is that rear spoiler functional or just there for esthetics?

yep I had this same problem (when can I use 6th gear>?) it is about 80 for me too
Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 AM
saleen4162
2nd Gear Member

WELCOME TO THE GROUP!
Well I will try as much to help you I picked this up on shimmy
Wheel shimmy:
You notice a side-to-side wobble in the steering wheel when traveling at steady speeds. The vibration gets worse when you are on an uneven road surface or after going over a pot hole.

Possible causes:
[ol][*]
Tire pressures are not equal: Check and adjust tire pressures.[*]
Out-of-balance wheel and tire assemblies: Balance wheels.[*]
Worn or damaged tires: Replace tires.[*]
Parts of the steering linkage are loose and need to be tightened: Tighten or replace loose parts as required.[*]
You have worn suspension parts: Replace suspension parts as required[/ol]
As for as the tranny Im not to sure you really want to take it to get xhexked out at a highly recomended Tranny shop in your area.

rear spoiler shaking- You really need to see if its on tight and try to contact the seller and ask them if they took it off at anytime. Cause it really shouldn be doing that.

And as far as the gears go 1st is just there to look pretty lol jk I am not to sure about that but ill ask a buddy of mine who is great when it comes to gear ratio's!

Hope I helped!
And again welcome! Now dont be shy lets see that beauty!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

thanks 4162, The car is brand new right from a ford dealer in georgia so im hoping the tires are just slightly flat spotted and as soon as i get some time to heat them up that vibration will go away its real hot in georgia and this car was sitting for a long time, as far as the other two problems i didnt think that spoiler should shake either , im going to see when the carrier is picking it up and maybe get the selling dealer to ckeck the spoiler and shifter boot out, im already thinking about going with 3.73 in the rear 1st gear is really useless, im not going to race the car just a little high spirited back road driving. thanks
carl

Quick Reply: new 07 extreme