Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

A little discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
00 425 SALEEN
1st Gear Member

Default A little discouraged

I just bought a 2000 Saleen SC in excellent shape and low miles. But after reading a few post here it seems like I wont get much HP if I do a few mods because of the Series I/II supercharger. I was thinking of doing the following:

-1 5/8 bbk ceramic shorty headers
-Mac pro-chamber off-road h-pipe
-3:55 or 3:73 gears (undesided until I get an idea of what the revs are @ 70-75 mph in 5th gear)
-chicane pulley and intercooler
-CAI (dont know which one to go with or if theres a kit that comes with a MAF)
-80 or 90 MAF
-Acufab 75mm TB
-39# injectors and fuel pump
-MGW shifter
-Tune (JDM seems to be the popular choice)

*Side note*
I get some pinging at WOT, any ideas?

Thanks,

Marco
Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A little discouraged

[/align]
[blockquote]

Mine pings a little at WOT as well. It's a little lean.I put 3:73's in the rear. Very happy with them.
BUT...The supercharger is a piece of sh*t. And mine is the series IV.I'd buy a Kenne Bell or Turbo
my car if I could do it over. And yes,to whoever say's I have a bad tune. It is tuned properly !

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
00 425 SALEEN
1st Gear Member

^^^^
Wow!

Is 294HP all you are getting with all those mods?
Dang. Im screwed.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Hollywood03
1st Gear Member

If you keep letting the car ping at WOT your goimg to hurt the motor..Yellow I've got the series IVon my car alsostock with no mods itmade about the same as yours now.There has to besomething wrong with your combo...sorry. You could try a SCT tune also what fuel pump are you running.The car could be running out of fuel at high RPMcausing the pinging and low H.P. #'s.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

How would you know if its tuned right if you never tried another tune? A series 4 puts out 290 RWHP STOCK. You should get more HP without a tune by adding your mods. Anyways done with that for now...

You can get some HP with a series II with those mods, but obviously your not going to be able to reach numbers acheived by a twin screw. Dont be discouraged from making those mods because if you decide to upgrade to a series 4 (or 5 comming soon!) then those will be able to be carried over, minus the pulley. Go with 42lb injectors though, and if you havent done the inlet tube adapter kit to upgrade to the series 4 black intake over the plastic series II, then id get that before it becomes an issue.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 PM
00 425 SALEEN
1st Gear Member

Thanks Red Devil.

I had sent you a P.M regarding all the mods I wanted to do.

If someone can provide a link to a good cold air kit or inlet tube I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Jared, look I'm not looking for an argument here. But my car has been re-tested,and this is the best that
I can do. If you're referring to Saleen's canned tune from factory...no thanks. Almost everyone I talked to
before getting all this done said do not go with the factory tune. Please keep in mind that I had my car
professionally tuned by a professional. That's all he does is Dyno Tuning. Please tell me what you would recommend ?
And I will try it. Besides the low #'s I really like the Saleen system. I have talked to Jim Jr. about having him do a custom
SCT tune for me. Giving him all the details. What do YOU recommend I do? Please tell me.What is the Series V about ?
I'm sorry if I have offended you. But I spent aloy of money !i

[/align]
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yellow Fever

Jared, look I'm not looking for an argument here. But my car has been re-tested,and this is the best that
I can do. If you're referring to Saleen's canned tune from factory...no thanks. Almost everyone I talked to
before getting all this done said do not go with the factory tune. Please keep in mind that I had my car
professionally tuned by a professional. That's all he does is Dyno Tuning. Please tell me what you would recommend ?
And I will try it. Besides the low #'s I really like the Saleen system. I have talked to Jim Jr. about having him do a custom SCT tune for me. Giving him all the details. What do YOU recommend I do? Please tell me.What is the Series V about ? I'm sorry if I have offended you. But I spent aloy of money !i
Help us, help you.

1. As I've asked before, post your dyno sheet with A/F. (Let's look at one without spray first)
2. Ever had a compression check?
3. How do your plugs look?
4. Do you know for a fact that you are actually hitting 12psi?
5. Did your tuner give you two different tunes, one for nitrous, one without?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

[/align]
[blockquote]

Polk,sorry I don't have a copy of my Dyno Sheet.But the A/F is running approx 11.8-12.0
Yes, my Auto Meter boost guage reads 12psi.
I had NGK 6068(?)plugs installed
No low cylinders as it has only 10,000 miles on it.
Dyno results have been done with NO nitrous... ever
The bottle has never been opened,other than to make sure the solenoid works.
Really wondering WTF is going on here.Red Devildid mention that the Series V
may be available in the future.I would certainly upgrade to the 2.3
I'm going to get JDM to set me up with their SCT tune,and see what happens.
Thank you for your interest in trying to help me.

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Do you know what your spark timing is set to? Mine is around 15-16 maxing out at around 20.

Quick Reply: A little discouraged