Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Dealership took my Saleen Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Default Dealership took my Saleen Pulley

First, the gripe: I took my05 vert to local dealership because of a check charging system error message. They said the car needed a new alternator, which they replaced under warranty. Everythingwas cool so far, Saturday while I wascleaning and detailing the car I noticed that they took my Saleenaltenator pulley and replaced it with a stock pulley. Now this realy ticked me off, I spoke to the manager on Saturday and hopefully they will remedy the situation.

Now my question -I am thinking that Saleen upgraded the pulleys for a reason so will this pulley swap hurt the performance of my car or damage it in any way?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealership took my Saleen Pulley

the new alts usually come with pulleys already installed. they prob sent your pulley back with the core. the saleen pulleys are underdrive i beleive. shouldnt damage anything. if the parts dept hasnt sent back the core alt yet they can prob swap it back for you
Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't put anything past dealerships ( Even Saleen dealerships). They took it upon themselves to lubricate my steeda parts with heavy marine grease, not the sticky clear lube. Thank God those parts were replaced with the Saleen Watts Link set up. Erik
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The pully's from Saleen are slightly larger to take some of the load off of the engine and give you a few more horses. It will cause NO issues of damage in any way to have stock pully. I have an aftermarket alt. and is considerably smaller than stock.

I do, however,think you need to press the issue with the dealer as you would like it re-installed. It was probably an honest mistake, so don't be a richard head, just DEMAND THAT IT BE CORRECTED OR YOU ARE GOING TO MURDER A FAMILY MEMBER OF THE DEALERSHIPS OWNER EVERY 2HOURS IF NOT FIXED BY NOON TODAY.

The Jaz
Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, here is a quick update:
Took my car back Monday morning 8:30 am, the sevrice desk knew I was coming in and had the pulley at the counter. The service writer told me that there was no way that pulley was going on and had a tech there to back him up. After a lenghty discussion they could tell I wasn't just going to leave so they got the service manager who told them that they could be swaped out he did his just recently. Well they were not able to finish the job and had to keep my car overnight. We will see what happenstoday.

Jazzer - So far there has not been a need to be a richard head; I am being patient with these guys for now. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

I'd look for a new dealership if I were you...

Good luck
Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Wouldn't the alt pulley be smaller if an underdrive crank pulley is being used in order to keep the alt spinning fast enough to keep up with electrical demand? If you put a larger pulley on the alt, it's not going to be able to keep up.

Also, if you didn't tell them about the UDP set up, they will just assume its part of the alt since that is what they are used to seeing. I'd be its gone with the core.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: LilRoush

Wouldn't the alt pulley be smaller if an underdrive crank pulley is being used in order to keep the alt spinning fast enough to keep up with electrical demand?...."
You are correct that the smaller pully would spin faster and help keep up with electrical demand to a point,but will put a heavier load on the motor. As you already know, a smaller pully's on S/C's ramps up air flow and increases pressure on internals. Generally speaking, the alternator has, or rather, SHOULD have a higher output than reasonable demand for vehicle. So a larger pully would still spin fast enough to supply power to needed items, but a bit less load on motor. A larger pully would spin slower but save some horses, so I figure that the Saleen pully on alternator is larger than stock, but someone correct me if I am wrong

Jazzer
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Ok.
Most 'sets'I'm used to use a larger crank pulley, but thenshrink thealt pulley by the same % to keep it spinning a stock RPM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Picked up my car yesterday afternoon,before leaving the dealershiphad to pop the hood just to make sure. All has been returned to normal and they were very sorry about the mix up. I have done business with this dealership for 22 years, so we will chalk this experience up to a simple mistake that they were able to take care of. In the future I will definetly check out any work they do before I take the car home. So I am happy with the outcome and appreciate all the responses. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dealership took my Saleen Pulley