Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Turbocharging my s281

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

Talking Turbocharging my s281

What's up all. I have an 02 black on black s281 s/c. I am getting really bored with the extremely high temps and low performance from my little eaton... so I am thinking really hard about turbocharging mine. I had a turbo 1998 s281 before that I... um.. totalled :x (Wasn't my fault though if it makes anyone feel any better haha) But anyway, I just wanted to know what you all thought about this, what companies work best, what I would have to reinforce in terms of internals and such, and ROUGHLY how much it would all cost...

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharging my s281-dsc006155.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 AM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

guess not lol
Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

There is more potential left in the eaton...enough to at least push the limits of the stock lower end....dont give up on the blower yet...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wtfkey
What's up all. I have an 02 black on black s281 s/c. I am getting really bored with the extremely high temps and low performance from my little eaton... so I am thinking really hard about turbocharging mine. I had a turbo 1998 s281 before that I... um.. totalled :x (Wasn't my fault though if it makes anyone feel any better haha) But anyway, I just wanted to know what you all thought about this, what companies work best, what I would have to reinforce in terms of internals and such, and ROUGHLY how much it would all cost...

Thanks a lot!
Don't know of any turbocharged 99-04's here in the saleen section that I can think of. You might want to try the 4.6 section and you could get some better results with that one.

What's your power goal, though? You can hit 400rwhp with that series II....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

I was lookiing to eventually get close to the 500 range. I am just already starting to have temp problems with the intercooler gauge hitting 200 if driven longer than an hour and a half or so. It was just an idea though, I really havent seen any turbo Saleens of my generation, then again, I think there is something special about keeping the blower.

Meh
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Well if you want 500rwhp, you have to build the bottom end anyway....so why not a whipple or kenne bell?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Fobra
Banned

Turbo will wax pretty much anything you compare it to, except n20

your looking at a minimum 4 grand and more like 6 when its all said and done (for a totally badass turbo setup)

for something thats good for a stock motor you could probably get it all done for 3000 or so
Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

well i was thinking about the kenne bell but I didn't know if the stock motor could handle that...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

The stock motor can handle the KB for sure...just dont push it over 400-420rwhp. Then when you have the money to build the motor, up the boost...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

Well, this is an expensive thread. Twin turbo is the way to go for sure. Don't mess with a KB because if you want big numbers, you might have to deal with belt issues. Turbo's are more efficient and you will get more power, better gas mileage and a more unique vehicle. I'm not just talking a bit more power but alot. Stock bottom end is garbage. Build the motor, cobra crank, h-beam rods, diamond pistons, have your heads ported and done by champion performance, custom turbo cams, then install a good fuel system, clutch and a twin kit from either turbo-horsepower, or hp performance. These kits will run you after all is said and done about $7500-$8000 not installed. Installation with money for a clutch, fuel system and labor will be at least another $2500-$5000.00 It's not cheap and those people who quote cheap prices are filling you up with you know what. It is never cheap but worth it in the end. Oh, yeah, tuning and a good tuner! 750 RWHP on pump is possible and upwards of 900 RWHP on race fuel. If you want a KB, 6-speed, 600 RWHP , I'll sell you my Saleen. It only cost me about $28000.00 in modifications to make a monster but not a the monster it would have been if I would have gone twin turbo! OR just leave it as it is, pulley it with a good air kit, and tune and call it good. 500 RWHP is much different than 400 in terms of reliability and such. Gas quality has alot to do with everything. You can get 500 with low boost with a twin kit and be super reliable. Kenne Bell with require like 13-15 psi for that power and will heat your air alot more. The torque will be lower with the KB also...but it does kick in right away. Anyways, good luck and do your homework first.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging my s281