Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush vs. Saleen Help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Heres my take on this. Saleen and Roush are very similar. One way you can look at it is that they obviously are the same base car. Both have somewhat 3 similar stages and their share of other unique cars (427r, patriot, etc.). For your price range you can eliminate the gt500, p51, and saleen 302 cars. Both put out similar performance but may vary slightly in different categories but again they are the same base car, it all can be modified to be better than the other. The most obvious difference is the appearance. You can change anything else on the car to be the way you like it unless you want to take off a saleen body kit and interior and swap it out with a roush.

I was in the same boat you were about 6 months ago. It took me about 4-5 months of researching to find the right car. I looked at both roush and saleen cars. I obviously picked the saleen sc "stage 2" for several reasons. Although the look of the roush is nice, it seems more tacky to me. In other words a lot of glue was used to make the roush. Side louvers were glued on, non functional hood scoop, wing, etc. The saleen seemed more "fuctional" as far as looks. The hood alone is what like $1k? where as the roush hood is stock with a what $50 hood scoop?. The saleen just seemed more fuctional and I liked the styling more as well. it looks a lot cleaner and well put together. I forget what the roush interior looks like exactly but I definitely love the saleen interior.

Im sure this thread could go on and on and it really does come down to personal choice. Im not trying to be bias Im just stating how I made my decisions.

They are both mustangs, keep doing research and look for the right deal.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 PM
seriousetoyz
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPawsDetY4

Anyone wanna comment on this....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
seriousetoyz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
Heres my take on this. Saleen and Roush are very similar. One way you can look at it is that they obviously are the same base car. Both have somewhat 3 similar stages and their share of other unique cars (427r, patriot, etc.). For your price range you can eliminate the gt500, p51, and saleen 302 cars. Both put out similar performance but may vary slightly in different categories but again they are the same base car, it all can be modified to be better than the other. The most obvious difference is the appearance. You can change anything else on the car to be the way you like it unless you want to take off a saleen body kit and interior and swap it out with a roush.

I was in the same boat you were about 6 months ago. It took me about 4-5 months of researching to find the right car. I looked at both roush and saleen cars. I obviously picked the saleen sc "stage 2" for several reasons. Although the look of the roush is nice, it seems more tacky to me. In other words a lot of glue was used to make the roush. Side louvers were glued on, non functional hood scoop, wing, etc. The saleen seemed more "fuctional" as far as looks. The hood alone is what like $1k? where as the roush hood is stock with a what $50 hood scoop?. The saleen just seemed more fuctional and I liked the styling more as well. it looks a lot cleaner and well put together. I forget what the roush interior looks like exactly but I definitely love the saleen interior.

Im sure this thread could go on and on and it really does come down to personal choice. Im not trying to be bias Im just stating how I made my decisions.

They are both mustangs, keep doing research and look for the right deal.

As of now the thing that has me wanting a Roush is the fact I see a few brand new 07 going for 35K. Then I would have a brand new car with a factory warentee and for me thats a pertty big deal. For now I am still in schools so it makes a difference that I have a car that I don't have to worry about fixing if it breaks.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by seriousetoyz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPawsDetY4

Anyone wanna comment on this....
That video has been beaten to death....Not worth rehashing that again on here!!!:-(
Old 09-26-2008, 07:44 PM
seriousetoyz
1st Gear Member

ah, understand, excuse the new guy. Just wondering.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

http://www.motorator.com/videos/228

i'm a saleen owner, and i really like my e-car, but check out this video...

mike
Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikebna
http://www.motorator.com/videos/228

i'm a saleen owner, and i really like my e-car, but check out this video...

mike
Thats the same video as in the above post....:-)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
SMOKE
2nd Gear Member

Cool

As mentioned above ... choosing either is based on tastes and experience.
Since, a test drive in both cars is neither practical or possible ... asking owners you can expect an biased opinion. Opinions and taste varies besides, they are mustangs with a twist and a very devoted following.

Due diligence and intense research should net you both what you want and expect.
Good luck in your search!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by seriousetoyz
As of now the thing that has me wanting a Roush is the fact I see a few brand new 07 going for 35K. Then I would have a brand new car with a factory warentee and for me thats a pertty big deal. For now I am still in schools so it makes a difference that I have a car that I don't have to worry about fixing if it breaks.
you will find the roush's cheaper than the saleens. Im also in school and it is god to have the warranty. i bought my 06 with just 5.5k miles so I still was able to fix all the warranty issues. I was just more interested in the saleen over the roush so I was willing to pay extra for something Ill keep for years. I was also looking at the new shelby gts but didnt want that urge for more power. power = more $$.

btw that video is biased as hell. i bet roush sent them a few $$. its funny how the music is so much better when they show the roush.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
1/4 mile: Roush S3 Drag Pak wins. (Street legal 11s right off the showroom floor)
JDM's saleen 500hp has been confirmed at 12.08 at the strip with a posi and when comparing it to the Roush Drag Pak, the PACKAGE itself without the car costs MORE than a tuned Saleen SC. It lists at $32000 on Roush's site.

Saleen is better at any EQUAL price point and at the top, not when comparing apples to oranges.

Skid pad: Roush S3 Trak Pak wins.
Again the package costs $29,000! before labor. When you count labor we're talking $60000 easy at which point I highly doubt it can take Steve Saleen's level of Mustang.
Road course: Roush S3 Trak Pak wins.
Big HP Numbers: P51 Roush is right up here with 510hp (@motor).
Big HP numbers ... same price. 800hp vs 510hp. The P-51A costs 65k, A JDM Saleen Extreme 302 Clone cost 60k

Even according to Saleen owners, Saleen is known for overrating HP numbers.
They are actually now known for under-rating, but you are correct. The earlier/weaker cars while being the most powerful mustangs did also tend to have the most hp exaggeration. ie Shelby = 324hp Saleen = 332 in reality but Saleen would claim 365hp and Shelby would claim 332. There's a motortrend article on it.

HP to weight is what matters, no over all dyno queen crap. Saleen's over sized wheels seem to be hurting no helping ...again, according to Saleen owners.
Boasting about custom JDM tunes for Saleen is ignoring Roush using custom in house tuning. Talking about JDM and other aftermarket Saleen upgrades and pretending like Roush upgrades aren't out there is ignorant. In fact JDM was one of the 1st doing post production work with the Roush TVS blowers on 3V cars. Along with that, most Roush owners pick up more Roush post production parts for their cars.
it's more than just a tune, they replace the injector supercharger pulley intake and other parts. I've actually mounted a JDM intake head to my Roushcharged Saleen Clone (don't tell anyone lol). Honestly if you know of anywhere that can boost my HP please post, because i've never heard of a tuning option for Roush. I'm running 530hp through a built Autobox and i have almost every mod.

JDM does much better work with Saleens, they've gotten them to be 10 second cars with just minor mods.

I don't want to turn this into a mud throwing contest more than I just did (and I'm sorry for taking it there), but a least be fair with comparing Saleen to Roush, please. Both Saleens and Roushs are made for being fun street cars. Biggest difference is Roush also caters to a more track oriented group these days with the "Track edition" S3 cars.
Roush caters to people that can't drive (idiots), Saleen caters to the supercar crowd (bigger idiots).

Saleen will always beat Roush but Roush will always be better in the hands of an inexperienced driver who doesn't want to mod their car or know how. Saleens just mod up better. They use the EXACT same model of supercharger but Saleen's mounting rig is more efficient than Roush's. That says everything you need to know. Roush has much more road feel and both are about the same speed stock as Saleen's power curve is more conservative even if it's peak numbers are higher.

You can't beat a supercar like the SMS level Mustang with something like a trak pak Roush.

IDK Saleen's definitely seem to mod up better, ESPECIALLY for the money, and Saleen has the king of all the Mustangs. Stock for stock at comparable levels it's a wash.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-26-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Roush vs. Saleen Help me!!!