Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Belt Tensioner

Has anyone had to or felt the need to replace their belt tensioner? I ran across some videos from JDM where they were going on about the Roush belt tensioner and replacing it because of the stock one bending or snapping under heavy load...

Just curious..
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know why it would be under any heavier load at any given time. Maybe at very high RPM's the centrifical force of belt flexes a bit too much???? It would be a VERY bad thing for tensioner to completely fail while driving, but have not heard of this myself.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 10-24-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: speling eror
Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
Has anyone had to or felt the need to replace their belt tensioner? I ran across some videos from JDM where they were going on about the Roush belt tensioner and replacing it because of the stock one bending or snapping under heavy load...

Just curious..
Don't know, but I have the new tensioner brace coming from JDM next week. Supposedly strengthens and stabilizes the factory tensioner.

If anyone wants pics, let me know, and I will get some after the install.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't mind seeing it. Is it the Roush one or a different one?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't mind seeing it. Is it the Roush one or a different one?
Saleen.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Salee25
1st Gear Member

Youll be dissapointed when you see what $100 gets you. Trust me, I bought one and I was like wtf! Could have made one for about 3 bucks, if that.
It does help the belt from slipping some.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Wait, we may be talking about two different things. There is a tensioner upgrade that Saleen sells for $100 that is standard on the extremes (and it is just a bracket), and what I am talking about is a complete replacement of the tenisioner that is put on at the factory (ford)...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Salee25
Youll be dissapointed when you see what $100 gets you. Trust me, I bought one and I was like wtf! Could have made one for about 3 bucks, if that.
It does help the belt from slipping some.
I would probably be a little concerned if the belt were held "tighter" as this would put addtional stress on the bearings of alt. and such. I have no idea how much tighter it could be w/o causing and issue, but I wouldn't think a hole heluvalot. I was thinking a re-located bracket maybe that would possibly curl the belt farther around S/C pully or something.

Jazzer
Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Wait, we may be talking about two different things. There is a tensioner upgrade that Saleen sells for $100 that is standard on the extremes (and it is just a bracket), and what I am talking about is a complete replacement of the tenisioner that is put on at the factory (ford)...
I would see no reason to replace the factory tension unit itself in my case.

I upgraded to the Ultimate Air kit and tensioner brace along with a new tune from JDM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
winsor33

Never heard of the tensioner breaking either. I did buy an idler pulley from Scott for my Saleen to help prevent slipping and also to keep the belt off the radiator hose. It was designed by a fellow Saleen owner and does work really well.

Scott's Brochure is found here

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...leen+series+iv

Quick Reply: Belt Tensioner