Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

When a 2006 S281E is not extreme enough.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
rdeor
1st Gear Member

Dang! Reading a post like this makes me want to cash in the 401k and go all out.....

Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

The car doesn't hop at all so I might not need the UCA yet. The hellraiser kit is for 03/04 cobras. The heritage kit is for 05+ mustangs.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Let me start by apologizing first. I couldn't help myself so I thought I would let the last post fester a little bit. Its for all of those nay sayers that thought this couldn't be done. I received a couple of emails telling me how much of a waste of money this idea was and how it would never work. Its hard to believe how close minded people can be sometimes. Here is my real review:
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

The car is an absolute "BEAST". Again its not finished and still has some work to do. As is the blower is at 8lbs and the turbos at 5lbs. This puts the intake boost at 16 lbs. This put us at 620RWHP and 650RWTQ with pump gas and a very safe tune. At idle the car still sounds stock and I LOVE how between 1800 to 2800rpm you only hear the blower whine. From 2800/2900 RPM you can start to hear the turbos start to spool. Any shift at 3200/3300RPM and you will hear the air frm the turbos blow out. If you keep the car under 2800rpm you just hear the blower. The car pulls like a diesel with a turbo. There is just so much torque. You could easily put the car side ways in 3rd with 3/4 of WOT. You can destroy the rear tires in 4th with no problem. 1st and 2nd gear feel useless and of course traction is a problem. Again, I have only driven the car a handful of times so I'm still learning how to drive and launch the car. Just think of a turbo car with no turbo lag. You have so much power in the low RPM's, but when you hit 3800rpm it feels like NOS had just been turned on. It is the coolest thing to hear the blower and turbo's at the same time. By having the blower you do sacrifice a little bit of the top end power but you get it back in torque and low end power. You have more "average" power through the powerband. Also have to understand that Florida is pretty humid even now. A good example is how low the power numbers for the car was when run stock. Even with all the bolt-ons the car seemed to die out at 5500rpm. Seems now I have all the power I had before plus more but with more high end power. What I also love is since the blower is recompressing the air from the turbos its creating more boost, but allowing me to run the blower and turbos at lower boost individually.

I guess the next question everyone might have is if I prefer one power adder over the other. Truth is it all depends on what your building. If you want a high horsepower car than turbo's will help, but if you want a daily driven street machine with low end torque from the get go the blower is a great option and reliable. Since you have more companies building blowers the prices are normally lower as well. A good turbo setup can net you some serious power, but your always going to suffer from turbo lag and turbo kits are normally not cheap. Would I recommend this setup to anyone else, sure. BUT...if you already have a blower on the car. If the car already comes with a blower and you want to change out to turbo's than I would recommend trying both. When you go to sell your blower your not going to ge too much for it. Unless its a whipple or kenne bell but depending on the market you might not get too much back. But to fork over the money for the blower and turbo would be a tough call unless you really have the cash to burn. Thats why I think the hellraiser kit works so well. Your using the stock blower anyways so why dump it. One of the big drawbacks is weight and I would like to see some time slips since to me thats the ultimate judge, jury, and executioner. If the car can't run a better time with both power adders due to the added weight than its not worth it. Since I don't drive at the track and mainly just do a lot of street driving I love this setup.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Some ideas I'm contemplating when I drop off the car for the last time are:

1) Port blower
2) Custom Turbo grind Cams
3) Larger Turbo's
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I will post another review once the ar is finished and I have put a few more miles on the car. Please let me know your feedback and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Almost forgot! If you have ANY ideas before the car goes back please let me know. I would love to hear them. There are so many things going on with this project its easy to miss something. I would love to hear everyone thoughts on the 3 topics I'm considering. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

I'd go with #1, I think JDM has done some work with this. Seems like too many people have ran into issues when dealing with #2. #3 is a waste of time until you work on #4.

4. Traction. ie taller wider tires, relocate trailing arms, etc
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

I would have to agree with Polk.

Since the blower is really a "restriction" at the top end power, you may actually be able to get some more through-put if you port it, possibly making it a little less restrictive.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by severnrc
is that kit only for 98 to 04 cars?
Technically yes, it would definitely not be a direct bolt on but anything is possible. I've seen crazier...

To the OP, your would gain from #1 & 2, I wouldn't even consider the last until you've played with the set up. Doesn't make sense to go bigger when the s/c isn't going to really flow that much more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When a 2006 S281E is not extreme enough.