Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
bluffmaster007
1st Gear Member

hey what type of oil filters do you guys use on your saleen
mines almost ready for an oil change
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdeor
I really like my Kooks with the catted X pipe. I get complements everywhere I go.
I have to ask what is the diff. between an the X and an H pipe? Is it sound, more HP? I don't think Kooks offered an H.

I've heard that catted x's sound better than off road X's. X pipes have a higher pitch and h's have lower, deeper tone. I think headers take away alot of the raspiness associated with xpipes and the stock manifolds.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
06S281
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
I agree, if your considering doing headers then you might as well do them to begin with and you won't have to buy another mid pipe.

Here is a short video. The car sounds better in person but you can get an idea..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrAiUlQwh8

Oh My god that sounds good...Who did your install of the Cams? Is it hard to do? How much did you pay for those Cams? What stage or whatever are they? Where at in Ohio do you live, Im originally from Oh?? God that's alot of questions but im curious...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Oh My god that sounds good...Who did your install of the Cams?

I did

Is it hard to do?

First time.. maybe a little.. looking back on it, its actually not hard at all.. much easier than a pushrod engine anyway.

How much did you pay for those Cams?

$750

What stage or whatever are they?

Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams

Where at in Ohio do you live, Im originally from Oh??

I'm from Lancaster, what about you?

God that's alot of questions but im curious...

No problem.. any time man!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
06S281
2nd Gear Member

Oh My god that sounds good...Who did your install of the Cams?

I did

Is it hard to do?

First time.. maybe a little.. looking back on it, its actually not hard at all.. much easier than a pushrod engine anyway.

How much did you pay for those Cams?

$750

What stage or whatever are they?

Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams

Where at in Ohio do you live, Im originally from Oh??

I'm from Lancaster, what about you?

God that's alot of questions but im curious...

No problem.. any time man!
Im originally from Youngstown. I moved after I graduated from HS. Im in Sacramento Ca right now....I think I read that you got your tune from the internet for your tuner, was it hard to program to make it run right? I had a shop tune mine for me but I have the disc with the tune on it. Im thinking about doing the cam job myself but I have never done anything like that before...Im worried about screwing it up and then not tuning it right...That kind of job is about 2500 dollars to do...Do you have stock internals?? Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

06s281. I am curious about doing a cam install as well and I have close to the same setup as you (3.4 pulley, etc., around 450rwhp). I know 450rwhp is reaching the limits to the potential of the stock 4.6 and after talking to brenspeed about their tune, they didnt seem to be too confident about pushing the engine hp anymore than that. After seeing the gains that the cams produce it would make me a little nervous to push the engine anymore. but who knows. maybe it can handle cams with a solid tune. But I think I am going to build the motor before I do cams.

Oh and about the OP, is it necessary to lift the engine to install the headers? I dont have my engine lift with me. I could buy another one but Im wondering if it will be worth it.

Last edited by david01130; 01-26-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Mobil 1 or K&N filter.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06S281
Im originally from Youngstown. I moved after I graduated from HS. Im in Sacramento Ca right now....I think I read that you got your tune from the internet for your tuner, was it hard to program to make it run right? I had a shop tune mine for me but I have the disc with the tune on it. Im thinking about doing the cam job myself but I have never done anything like that before...Im worried about screwing it up and then not tuning it right...That kind of job is about 2500 dollars to do...Do you have stock internals?? Thanks
I have an SCT tuner, all I had to do was download the tune from my computer to the tuner then hook the tuner up to the car and it installed the tune on the car.. very simple. My car is not supercharged so you may or may not be able to get an email tune for cams on a supercharged car. A dyno is the best option as far as tuning. I plan on getting one this spring. Here's the instructions I used for the cam install... http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=165&viewfil...t%20-%20LH.pdf
Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Oh and about the OP, is it necessary to lift the engine to install the headers? I dont have my engine lift with me. I could buy another one but Im wondering if it will be worth it.
You just have to raise the motor a few inches with a jack. I put a thick phone book between the jack and the oil pan to raise it.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

You just have to raise the motor a few inches with a jack. I put a thick phone book between the jack and the oil pan to raise it.
oh ok sweet I can do that. hopefully Ill have something installed by next week

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?