Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Oil in Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil in Intake??

Recently, I added the JDM Stage II kit to my car. Since I installed it, I have only been able to drive the car about 20 miles or so. Last night, I took the intake off at the TB to get at the pulley and I noticed a small amount (about a 1/4 teaspoon) of oil sitting in the bottom of the mouth of the intake at the TB...

Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Last edited by esanger; 01-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
Recently, I added the JDM Stage II kit to my car. Since I installed it, I have only been able to drive the car about 20 miles or so. Last night, I took the intake off at the TB to get at the pulley and I noticed a small amount (about a 1/4 teaspoon) of oil sitting in the bottom of the moouth of the intake at the TB...

Any thoughts on what could cause this?
As you know, I discovered the same thing on my car, after installing the JDM kit and the Extreme Air CAI.

Not sure what is causing it, but I do remember Casey offering a "catch can" of some sort to deal with the oil blowby or whatever.

I don't think it had to do with the throttle body, though.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/HMS%2...atch%20Can.htm

Is this it??? Looks like this would do the trick...

DUDE, $75 more for the Saleen SC version.. WTF???

Last edited by esanger; 01-28-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

From my research and testing, the oil in the T.B. and upper intake tract of the s/c is attributed to the driver's side crankcase pcv line. This also happens with stock 3V engines, just not as much (amount of oil).

The blower "pulls" in much more air, compared to a n/a engine. So, we see much more oil contamination.

As for our pricing on the "saleen kit". It takes us time to make the hoses the way we do. We designed it to look and install as factory as possible. There is no difference in the catch cans, it's just the lines we make. Anyone can use the universal kit and set up their own hoses.

Casey
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HaneyMotorsport.Com
From my research and testing, the oil in the T.B. and upper intake tract of the s/c is attributed to the driver's side crankcase pcv line. This also happens with stock 3V engines, just not as much (amount of oil).

The blower "pulls" in much more air, compared to a n/a engine. So, we see much more oil contamination.

As for our pricing on the "saleen kit". It takes us time to make the hoses the way we do. We designed it to look and install as factory as possible. There is no difference in the catch cans, it's just the lines we make. Anyone can use the universal kit and set up their own hoses.

Casey
+1 and can you say 'Group Buy'? I'm long overdue for this. I started to make one and it ended up looking 'ghetto'.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Sent a message over to JDM and they responded this afteroon. Jim Jr indicated this is normal and I shouldnt worry about it...

The catch cans from Haney are REAL nice. I like the blue one.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

I have the Haney oil seperator and it works perfect. It looks good too.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PolkThug
+1 and can you say 'Group Buy'? I'm long overdue for this. I started to make one and it ended up looking 'ghetto'.
I'm in, so that makes at least 3 of us!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Tell you what......

That's see how many people Will order one....either universal or "saleen". If we can get enough, I can work on the price!

These also work great for the S197 with a centri blower on it!

We did a air to air intercooled Paxton install recently. A few weeks later, the customer called and said the car died after a hard first / half 2nd gear pull. "Sounds like it blew off a silicon coupler, bring her back in" . Well that was what is was. After pulling down the pipe and coupler, I found a decent amount of oil coating the piping and couplers. I had to find out where is this coming from......the plastic inlet tube that connects to the blower inlet was soaked.

How did the oil get in there?? On the bottom side, it has 2 3/4 hose fittings (for blow off valves) AND a 3/8 fitting for the PASS. side crankcase hose!!!!

Put on the catch can, so far so good

Casey
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Suggest a moderator post in the main 05-10 forum and Saleen forum to spread the word on a possible group buy... A sticky would be nice..

Quick Reply: Oil in Intake??