Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Big trouble with rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Jazz is right But the stock panhard bar probably is bent. When you lower a S197, the rear end will shift to one side. The Saleen S197 springs do not lower that much. The rear only shifts at the Most 1/4". That's why Saleen really never changed them. IIRC , the limited ones that Saleen made for some E's, were the same length as stock.

The car does have to be parked on a flat surface. It is hard to really tell with your pics, but it almost looks like the axle snapped (c-clip) and the rotor/caliper are holding in place??

Casey
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IWinULose
Yeah, this is the first time I have noticed it, and as far as it is out, I'd like to think I would have noticed it sooner. I was trying to avoid going away from anything stock, but this is certainly not something I can live with. lol, I'm a perfectionist. At any rate, I am going to go see if I can get the car on a lift, and see if I can find anything.
no one is more freekin **** then me, which is why im always checking the rear end alignment out. as far as keeping it stock, saleen had lower control arm that were being used in the E cars, well the actual production car's didnt get them. they are identical looking to the bmr lowers which is why i went with them. the gen2 watts set up is a vast improvement over the gen1 but requires different install specs which i wasnt able to obtain as saleen was in the middle of being purchased, thats how i wound up with the techco. now every part on the techco unit is identical to the saleen unit and made by the same people, accept the arms and swivel they are of a propiatory design. techco uses nice billet arms with heim joints and they are a nice tight fit so as of now!!! i noticed no noise or vibration. to me techco is the best of the saleen team so i felt on point with there kit. saleen is now in a better situation and jess albright is back so if you want to use the gen2 watts link you could now receive what you would need. if you need to speak with jess his number is 248 354 7814 and he will address your concerns.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HaneyMotorsport.Com
Jazz is right But the stock panhard bar probably is bent. When you lower a S197, the rear end will shift to one side. The Saleen S197 springs do not lower that much. The rear only shifts at the Most 1/4". That's why Saleen really never changed them. IIRC , the limited ones that Saleen made for some E's, were the same length as stock.

The car does have to be parked on a flat surface. It is hard to really tell with your pics, but it almost looks like the axle snapped (c-clip) and the rotor/caliper are holding in place??

Casey
damn casey lets not jinx him, i also thought of that but i actually have seen my rear move that much as my stock control arms started getting so sloppy the rubber bushing were junk.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Well, I crawled under the car today and found nothing out of the ordinary. I have still been unable to get my car to a lift to get a better view, though. I Did take the car out and cleaned it up today, and parked on a few different 'flat' areas to get an idea of how bad it really is. The car seems to drive and launch fine. On some areas it looked far worse than on others. On every surface i tried, the differene was noticeable though, just by standing in the front of the car and looking at it. I also went back over all the tire pressures to make sure i was dead money there. It almost seems to me that the passenger side wheel is tilted in at the top like this: \ . Against my better judgement I am going to take it to the dealership this week and have them align it, and see what their opinion is. Thanks for all of your help guys. And also, I may end up going with some aftermarket parts. sftdyna, where did you get your techo from? Say I were to do some changing in the rear, what would be a cost efficient setup that I could easily swap back to stock if need be? If there is no unseen damage, should I just get an adj. panhard and call it a day?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Also, I tried to get some better pics to put the difference into perspective...
On each of the pictures, I used a flat edge ruler and a level to make sure the flatedge was level and against the fender....

Driver's side, the rim sticks out 3/8" PAST the fender:

Passenger side, the rim is inside the fender 7/8":

Ugh.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IWinULose
Also, I tried to get some better pics to put the difference into perspective...
On each of the pictures, I used a flat edge ruler and a level to make sure the flatedge was level and against the fender....

Driver's side, the rim sticks out 3/8" PAST the fender:

Passenger side, the rim is inside the fender 7/8":

Ugh.
my d/s was also the issue but depending how i parked it would differ some. how much power are you putting down? i would go with lowers from bmr as they look just like saleen's they are about 130.00 you will feel a big difference with them alone, and it will help the rear alignment. call carlos at techco and tell him i recomended you. he knows ive experimented with several set ups already and will be putting his set up to the test. dont rule out the gen2 just make sure you speak to jess as he is knows how to set it up properly. this unit is heavy duty and should provide more then enough lateral support. you can also go with an adjustable panhard rod for little money but i perfered the watts link. if you speak to either carlos or jess at saleen tell them carl mauriello refered you.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Casey..you have something bent, or you've snapped a c-clip.

I have seen S197's agressively lowered and not seen one wheel as far out as yours is.