Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Would YOU Buy a New Saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default Would YOU Buy a New Saleen?

I have an opportunity to buy a new Saleen SC281... the question is "should I?"

Of course I should, right? I love the way the car looks, drives, etc., but my question is more along the lines of the warranty. I know Saleen has been sold off, and if that is the case, then who covers the warranty? Any help from Saleen employees on this site would be a big help, thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 PM
04#231

I never thought I would say this. I have been a Saleen owner since 1991 and even during there issues in the early 90's I still would have bought a car from them new if I could have afforded it at the time. I bought my 89 #709 used with a trade in for about 12K. So I got a great deal. But now a days with Steve Saleen and the other folks that were part of the heritage and design of the different versions of the car now plying there talents else where and the company just being sold again for the 2nd time I believe in the last 3-4 years. The economy in the toilet and no guarantees that support will be there should you need it for either Ford or the new Saleen owners, I would be very hesitant to buy a car from them. At least new. I might buy used and have the original owner deal with the significant depreciation that has taken place. I love my Saleen and will keep it. But I would look closely at either a Roush or Shelby if I was to go new. I might even look at a Z06 if I didn't need a back seat. That is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Thanks. Roush or GT500 are definitely options (leaning towards the Roush).
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04#231
I never thought I would say this. I have been a Saleen owner since 1991 and even during there issues in the early 90's I still would have bought a car from them new if I could have afforded it at the time. I bought my 89 #709 used with a trade in for about 12K. So I got a great deal. But now a days with Steve Saleen and the other folks that were part of the heritage and design of the different versions of the car now plying there talents else where and the company just being sold again for the 2nd time I believe in the last 3-4 years. The economy in the toilet and no guarantees that support will be there should you need it for either Ford or the new Saleen owners, I would be very hesitant to buy a car from them. At least new. I might buy used and have the original owner deal with the significant depreciation that has taken place. I love my Saleen and will keep it. But I would look closely at either a Roush or Shelby if I was to go new. I might even look at a Z06 if I didn't need a back seat. That is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace.
I have to agree. Anyone who knows me knows I love my Saleen...but as you said, with Steve Saleen gone and off doing something else, and Saleens original talent pool mostly gone, well..it kinda takes the novelty of owning a Saleen away. Unfortuanately, being for sale twice in such a short amount of time, and losing the icon of the company can never bode well for any organization that produces cars, either.

I personally don't like the Roush cars- I've stated many times that not having a presence in used car bibles (NADA, KBB) is beyond ridiculous.
They are difficult to get warranty work and service done on at non-Roush dealers.

If I were going to buy a Mustang tomorrow, it would be a GT500 hands down. You can get it serviced, it has a factory warranty on the whole kit, you can get an extended warranty for it, and ANY Ford dealer in the country can and will work on it.

Then again, I'm gonna see how the Camaro shapes up before making the plunge on a GT500.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

If you want it buy it. If you keep it stock and don't drive it daily it should be fine for the warranty period on any major items. Express your concerns to the dealer and maybe the will warrant it for you. If not, they should sell it at a lower price to reflect that you most likely won't have a warranty on the Saleen parts. Can't hurt to ask. Shelby and Roush are fine choices as well. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
I have an opportunity to buy a new Saleen SC281... the question is "should I?"
Well, I did. I purchased it out of state and am in the process of importing it to CA, which is a pain in the @#@#@. I ran into a few paperwork problems (some Saleen's fault, and some the fault of the guy at the Smog-referee center), but so far have had great support from Saleen to sort out my issues.

The comments about the current state of Saleen are all very true, but hopefully you can cut a great deal on the car because of that. I got a fantastic deal on my '08 S302E (sorry, still not telling what I paid! ;^>), and there are great deals on Roushes as well. One of the great things about the Saleens and Roushes is that you can get the Ford GT rebates - but when I last looked, there were no such rebates on the GT500/Gt500KR. In the end, that was one of the deciders that pushed me away from the Shelbys and towards the Saleens...

Chris.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

so Chris...how much did you pay?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

I don't understand the reluctance to provide pricing info...What's the big deal??

Agree with Milti, hindsight being 20/20, I should have went with a cobra (and it saddens me to say that)..
Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I would buy another one depending on the price....seriously if you love the car buy it. If there is something else you like even more save and get that one.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
I don't understand the reluctance to provide pricing info...What's the big deal??

Agree with Milti, hindsight being 20/20, I should have went with a cobra (and it saddens me to say that)..
i agree, i bought my E almost a year ago, the msrp with luxury tax and shipping was 77,000.00 i got 23,000.00 off sticker, yes that means 54k so im sure you could quote prices! your not here to protect the steeler, your one of us!! now spill the freekin beans.

Quick Reply: Would YOU Buy a New Saleen?