Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

What problems are there with the Saleen 302 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Default What problems are there with the Saleen 302 engine?

Hi all,

After some discussions on another thread, I thought I would open up a new thread here where we could discuss the Saleen 302. We have some varying opinions on how "good" the Saleen stroker 302 engine is. There have been suggestions that a stroked 4.6l engine is somewhat weaker than an unstroked block. Mostly so far, people (myself included) have been "quoting what they heard somewhere". I was hoping that we might get a few of the experts to chip in, and if possible - some real evidence of just how strong this motor really is (or not).

Disclaimer: I have a Saleen 302 under the hood of my S302E, with only 250 miles on the clock to date - so obviously I am hoping that the evidence comes out in favour of the engine being rock-solid!

Let the flames commence!

Chris.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctann
Hi all,

After some discussions on another thread, I thought I would open up a new thread here where we could discuss the Saleen 302. We have some varying opinions on how "good" the Saleen stroker 302 engine is. There have been suggestions that a stroked 4.6l engine is somewhat weaker than an unstroked block. Mostly so far, people (myself included) have been "quoting what they heard somewhere". I was hoping that we might get a few of the experts to chip in, and if possible - some real evidence of just how strong this motor really is (or not).

Disclaimer: I have a Saleen 302 under the hood of my S302E, with only 250 miles on the clock to date - so obviously I am hoping that the evidence comes out in favour of the engine being rock-solid! chris, i dont think there have been any failures with the 302E motor i for one have also heard many opinions concerning the way they achieve 302 ci and that its better to stay stock or go 298ci due to added stress with some stroker kits, that being said its better to leave a motor stock rather than supercharged longevity wise so i dont think there is anything wrong with the 302E its just better left stock ci wise. most of us with E cars arent putting 100k miles on our cars so i dont think we are going to see a problem i myself would love a new E !!! i remember seeing an 09 E for sale it would have been nice to have one of those if saleen decides not to continue E production. your very lucky to have your 08 enjoy it im sure you wont have any issues with it also get some damn miles on it we want dyno numbers.

Let the flames commence!

Chris.
chris, i dont think there have been any failures with the 302E motor i for one have also heard many opinions concerning the way they achieve 302 ci and that its better to stay stock or go 298ci due to added stress with some stroker kits, that being said its better to leave a motor stock rather than supercharged longevity wise so i dont think there is anything wrong with the 302E its just better left stock ci wise. most of us with E cars arent putting 100k miles on our cars so i dont think we are going to see a problem i myself would love a new E !!! i remember seeing an 09 E for sale it would have been nice to have one of those if saleen decides not to continue E production. your very lucky to have your 08 enjoy it im sure you wont have any issues with it also get some damn miles on it we want dyno numbers.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1. Most of the "what if" people are stating is if you decide to push th motor. If you keep it stock and take care of her you'll have no issues.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by sftdyna
"...your very lucky to have your 08 enjoy it im sure you wont have any issues with it also get some damn miles on it we want dyno numbers.
I say...... just put some miles on that baby, I don't give a crap about dyno #'s
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

I don't know that there is really anything "wrong" with it. I've never heard of any failures, but I will say that I've seen better numbers on a 298 than I have on a 302.

Last edited by Red_Devil; 02-20-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
I don't know that there is really anything "wrong" with it. I've never heard of any failures, but I will say that I've seem better numbers on a 298 than I have on a 302.
as always jared thanks for chimeing in.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

If you have a 281 with the money you didn't spend getting the 302 you could always have the heads ported, stroke the motor, change the cams, and get a custom tune and make the same power or more. What you can't say is that you bought a S302E car. If that doesn't mean anything to you than your fine.