Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by islander033
If I was to change anything on the stock Saleen (non "E") suspension, it would be the rear LCA's and UCA which is still the stamped GT parts.

I wouldn't lower mine anymore than it already is due to poor roads around me.
the two biggest improvements to my extreme aside from my 305's were the lca's and techo watts link.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

A full Griggs set-up is a dream must for me. Expensive but worth every penny. It will depend on your budget.

Lower control arms relocated, Watts link, Steeda bump steer and tie rods would be a budget version.

You could always go to coil-overs and lower it to your taste and improve the handling/weight as well.

As for Saleen Mike's comments, the best suspension mod you can do is to learn how to drive your car. I would have a really hard time believing a 360 would lose to a Saleen on a road course with experienced drivers behind the wheel. Take a driving course is a great investment.

Last edited by Jonsey; 05-18-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saleen Mike
I'm quite a realist. The Ferrari in my garage may be the best looking car there (subjective), but it is not the fastest, or even the best handling. It is better handling than a stock suspended Saleen that is for sure.

We still need to figure out why the OP wants to lower his car...
My mistake You're right. According to Ferrari their badge adds 200 horsepower. That's why I can never beat those asian Ferraris like the Ferrari Civic and Ferrari FWD 1.2L Camry Challenge Superlegera when they pull up. If only I had some sort of badge remover to reduce their horsepower and handling:

If you don't believe the motortend articles i've convinced my local Ferrari Maserati dealer owner specifically of Saleen's superiority against the f360 stock for stock.

Coilovers are the best solution here for lowering. Something that selects from .75" to 2.5".
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

do you think the rake is a bad idea?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

That's the good thing about a coilover if you find you scrape too much then you can change it.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i sold my stock suspension and put on Tokico D specs (adjustable) so i can adjust ride quality from stiff to soft and and for springs went with the Pro Kit. lowered the car by .25 more inches (saleen stock is lowered 1.25 i believe) and looks perfect imo.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Saleen Mike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
My mistake You're right. According to Ferrari their badge adds 200 horsepower. That's why I can never beat those asian Ferraris like the Ferrari Civic and Ferrari FWD 1.2L Camry Challenge Superlegera when they pull up. If only I had some sort of badge remover to reduce their horsepower and handling:
What?

There are several factors in the Ferraris advantage:
* Much lighter car
* Superior chassis
* Mid-engine
* Better weight balance
* Better suspension
* Less unsprung weight

Look, I drank the Saleen Kool-Aid, and there are several in the garage, but I also know the limitations of the car based on a Mustang. Saleen did not change that much in the suspension, that is fact. Now, a prepared Saleen/Mustang with a GR40 setup would be nice

What is the budget of the OP? If he says $100 then at this point since it is all for looks, the only option is to take a saw to the springs and cut a coil. Now, with more $$$ coil-overs would be the best answer.

Best,
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

One can only go SOO low whether CO's or not.

Unless he replaces that front "K" member, he cannot run that "Photoshop drop" (probably not with one either). My car absolutley DRAGS on the ground with 2.5" under much of it. If I didn't have a steel oil pan with a steel plate to reinforce it, I would be stuck out on the side of the road somewhere.

OP, your car would look SWEET if Photoshop could be a practical reality. Any additional drop would REDUCE your cars performance without pretty major mods.

Jazzer
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

This is a dumb thread.

Are we REALLY arguing that a Saleen might be a better car than the Ferrari?

Come on now... let's not get crazy...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Better no, faster yes.

Here's where being educated comes into it:

The primary reason why Saleens handle so well is because it has enormous tires. If we just consider the width, Saleens have 13% more tire overall and specifically 15% more tire rear per equally distributed pound of lateral thrust on the center axis and 7% more front.

The weight difference pales in comparison to that once you correct it for the reduced downforce that the lighter Ferrari has.

Also being mid engined only helps acceleration not cornering. If anything the rearward weight balance is worse in the Ferrari because in the Saleen it's closer to 50/50 which is definitely better.

Saleen then has only the small differences in weight, not critical chassis stiffness difference & inferior suspension design to deal with out of your list.

The Mustang definitely has a 9/10 design for it's rear axle being one of the best SRAs (solid rear axles) in history and the best stock panhard passenger SRA in history as agreed by many sources and SRA race car drivers, and it's front suspension is very similar to a BMW's it gets a 7/10 there. Ferrari scores whatever it does.

Seeing to all this the end result is the 5% better handling on Saleens side being very reasonable. I've justified this to many Ferrari owners.

Last edited by Legion5; 05-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Question