Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

RIP

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

Default RIP

So last night I heard a ticking noise in my engine and I popped the hood open hoping I could find out what it was and was unsuccessful. After about an hour of being parked, I started it back up to go grab some late night dinner and while in line at Jack in the Crack, my spark plug seemed to have thrown itself outside of the its housing. My car was then non drivable and had to be flatbedded to the nearest shop. After talking with them for a long time they gave me two different options:

1) They can try and rethread the head to accept a new spark plug and are looking at about 30% success rate

or

2) I have to buy a new head which will cost me in the low thousands they estimate. I am waiting to hear back from them and make a decision, but I wanted to let you all know this very well may be the end of my Saleen. I do not want to take any more chances if I was to get the spark plug to work, and I do not want to spend thousands on a new head if it could happen to the other one.

Anyway, that is the update.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for everything

Mikey
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

Brutal. Look into aftermarket heads if you have to get new ones. Some of the 2-valve guys should be able to help you.

I would not re-thread it.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Look on ebay for some used heads or get some already ported heads for some more power. That really sucks!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have been looking and I found a kit that will allow the spark plug to be put back in, I guess there was not as much damage as thought. Although this will be the end of the Saleen for me, I will be listing her on Craigslst after I fix this incident. She has given me nothing but great memories, but it is time for me to get ahold of something much gnarlier.

Thank you for everything you guys have helped me with, I will let you know about any car updates coming soon!

Mikey
Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Good luck with the sale, man. Sorry to see it go.

By the way...did you consider pulling off some of the aftermarket parts to sell here to the MF community? I'm sure you'd get more money pulling them off and selling the car stock than selling it with the car.

That is....if they're not too much of a pain to take off and replace with the stock stuff and if the car still has a stock tune available.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 AM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

I have the Chicane RIPP kit put on and an accufab 75mm tb but that is about it. Still the stock tune so I dont know of anything else to switch out to stock, but I do have everything in possession.

Hey Evil, this is just a list I made of what I can think of off the top of my head

I installed an offroad Bassani X pipe (I am going to include another Bassani X w/ hi flow cats that I bought before the O/R, and the stock X pipe if wanted)
Accufab 75mm Throttle Body and a Chicane RIPP Cold Air Intake, just to make it breathe a bit better (no tune needed and I will include the stock Throttle Body and Intake)
MGM short shifter with MOMO Italy shifter ****
Brand new FR500 black wheels with chrome lip, staggered. Deep dish rears with shallow fronts.
Brand new front tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Ultras 275x35zr18. Rears are 295x35zr18
Just installed In-Dash Pioneer DVD Player with built in Navigation and Bluetooth microphone set up.
JL W7 12” sub hooked up to In-Dash
I am going to throw in:
5 REAL 18” Stock Saleen wheels. One is a full size spare on tire.
I have a few extra Saleen accessories like extra windshield banner, floor mats, detailer kit
Brand new sets of NGK spark plugs that are preferred for the supercharger.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
wtfkey
1st Gear Member

So these are some pictures I took someone might be able to explain further... what is this peice... it doesnt look like a spark plug? It is the whole in between...