Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

series II supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 PM
tailsshrout

Default series II supercharger question

I have a 02 supercharged saleen. I put the 66mm pulley on it and reached 11psi of boost. After I changed my cams, I dropped down to 8.4 psi of boost. Now I read that the Chicane unit is developed to be right at the limit of over revving the blower. But since i dropped my boost with the cams I think I should be able to drop to a smaller pulley. my question is what is the max. RPM of the blower and what RPM should I be at with 8.4 psi? im looking at Pulley Boys 2.2" please if anyone knows any information on this please help me.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Werecow
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't have thought a cam change would of caused such a variance in boost levels. The little M90 is working really hard to feed air to the 4.6 engine. You might be able to get a smaller pulley than the Chicane piece, but my thoughts are the 66 mm is about as far as I would push it. The thing is, spinning the blower faster will give you more boost, generally speaking. However, the M90 is putting out some serious heat already and spinning it harder is just going make that situation worse.

I don't know the mods you are running, but opening up the inlet side to the SC (bigger Mass Air meter, bigger throttlebody and supporting tubing) will give you a bit more boost. A chicane intercooler, or equivalent, is a must if you are going to spin the M90 harder. In fact it is a good idea to upgrade the intercooler with the stock configuration as it isn't the best design.

Done said all this, I am assuming that you are upgrading the fuel injectors and fuel pump, as well as a good tune...
Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
tailsshrout

For the air intake I have the Chicane 90mm RIPP kit with a 90mm MAF, and a accufab 75mm TB, to combat the heat I have the Chicane intercooler with Stainless steel lines, and a LFP heat exchanger, expansion tank, and radiator. For fuel I have Fore Fuel lines 42# injectors, SVT focus fuel pump with KB boost a pump. Other points to note im running snow performance water meth kit, 3.73s, idler pulley, Kooks long tube headers, and O/R X pipe, and custom grind cams. Im just looking for about 15 more horse to reach my goal of 420 also I have a custom tune done by Comp. Auto then rechecked by prodyno. only thing I can think of now to easily add 15 horse is more boost. If you can think of a better idea I am all ears.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Just get an underdrive pulley from JDM, get you like 3 more PSI.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
Just get an underdrive pulley from JDM, get you like 3 more PSI.
I just ordered one along with a bunch of other goodies from them, just waiting for them to get here.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
mosaleen

If you spin the m-90's faster then 14,000 rpms (which that is almost what the 66mm Chicane S/C pulley does, talk to Joe at chicane)
I have seen some Series II m-90 ported and better bearings installed 60 mm and do fine.
You will burn out the bearings much faster and have to rebuild anyway if you spin it any faster.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 AM
2FNFAST

Port it. www.stiegemeier.com - Done deal.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
jonwrong

Originally Posted by tailsshrout
I have a 02 supercharged saleen. I put the 66mm pulley on it and reached 11psi of boost. After I changed my cams, I dropped down to 8.4 psi of boost. Now I read that the Chicane unit is developed to be right at the limit of over revving the blower. But since i dropped my boost with the cams I think I should be able to drop to a smaller pulley. my question is what is the max. RPM of the blower and what RPM should I be at with 8.4 psi? im looking at Pulley Boys 2.2" please if anyone knows any information on this please help me.
For some reason I can't PM you. I have a very similar setup and would like to pick your brain about being cammed. Pleased shoot me an e-mail to jwright05@gmail.com if you see this. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Werecow
2nd Gear Member

2FNFAST is correct, not only can you have it ported, you can have re-geared and then pulley it... They will also port your lower intake and port match your inlet tube to your throttlebody.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
jonwrong

Originally Posted by Werecow
2FNFAST is correct, not only can you have it ported, you can have re-geared and then pulley it... They will also port your lower intake and port match your inlet tube to your throttlebody.
Did you do this and see gain?