Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Low 30's for a "new" PJ isn't bad, but considering they have been sitting so long I would try to hallle them lower. They have to be eager to sell those cars.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
tonylop33
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dakotazeb
Tony, if I was to make a deal with Capitol Ford would you be willing to go there and check out the PJ's they have on the lot for me? I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger at this time. I have a project that should close within the next month that I will be receiving a nice commission from. Plan to use some of the funds to buy a Mustang but I don't want to spend the bucks until I have them in hand.

Being a PJ owner have you been happy with yours?
I love mine. If you need me to eyeball it or anything else, let me know.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Sitting on a lot for three years is hard on a car... expect it to have problems in the future (leaks, etc.). Unless they were started and driven every month.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

The PJ edition is an awesome car, and remember it was sold when Steve was still with Saleen, there wasn't all this drama, etc...

Now the Saleen brand has suffered a bit but the cars themselves were meticulously produced with care at the Irvine plant. I got mine the same month of it's build date in Nov 2006. Now just about to tip 12k on the clock (secondary nice day car) and it has been awesome.

If you want to read about 400 posts about my car check my ultimate PJ thread.

As far as fair market value... Well that is a difficult question. It seems to me since we have a serious limited number or 500 made, this would be a possible niche car for the auction some day. But I'd rather get real use out of this thing and let it get dinged up a bit than hide it away for what it MIGHT be worth some day.

So what do you get over a Mustang GT (of a similar year)? The upgraded suspension, rear Watt's link (which has proven to be a major upgrade for those that have them), the rebuilt, stroked and blueprinted 302 that kicks ****, and perhaps the coolest - the credibility the Parnelli himself approved of and signed this very car. If someone asks about the car (as they often do) when I'm out somewhere and they know or have heard of Parnelli Jones from Indy or Grand am racing, they get it. It's at that point that you'll thank yourself for pulling the trigger on the PJ. Trust me.

I paid MSRP when my dealer didn't even know what I was trying to order and I only had a picture from the New York Auto Show.

Four years later I'm glad I passed on the Shelby.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chuckdoc
As far as fair market value... Well that is a difficult question. It seems to me since we have a serious limited number or 500 made, this would be a possible niche car for the auction some day. But I'd rather get real use out of this thing and let it get dinged up a bit than hide it away for what it MIGHT be worth some day.

So what do you get over a Mustang GT (of a similar year)? The upgraded suspension, rear Watt's link (which has proven to be a major upgrade for those that have them), the rebuilt, stroked and blueprinted 302 that kicks ****, and perhaps the coolest - the credibility the Parnelli himself approved of and signed this very car. If someone asks about the car (as they often do) when I'm out somewhere and they know or have heard of Parnelli Jones from Indy or Grand am racing, they get it. It's at that point that you'll thank yourself for pulling the trigger on the PJ. Trust me.
Something to add... when I attended a SAAC event last summer/fall. I believe there were three PJs in attendance. The PJ "might" have a crossover appeal that a few other Saleen model lack. Meaning the vehicle gathers interest from Saleen and non-Saleen fans alike.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Dakotazeb

Originally Posted by Chuckdoc
But I'd rather get real use out of this thing and let it get dinged up a bit than hide it away for what it MIGHT be worth some day.
I feel the same. If I make the purchase I want to drive it, not let it sit in the garage and possibly have some collector value. Hell, I'm going to be 64 in a couple weeks. I'll get the use out of it and let the kids worry about what to do with it when I croak. Guess this is easier said when you are paying 50-60% of MSRP.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
GM EATER
2nd Gear Member

Default Heritage 302

If you want exclusivity there were a lot fewer Heritage 302's built and there is other colors than orange. The car itself is virtually the same except the rims. So do you want the PJ or a Heritage? That is the question?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GM EATER
If you want exclusivity there were a lot fewer Heritage 302's built and there is other colors than orange. The car itself is virtually the same except the rims. So do you want the PJ or a Heritage? That is the question?
Much of this is true. One thing to point out with the '08 H302 is, the seating was cheapened. The PJs use Saleen foam while the Heritage seat covers were designed to recycle the stock Mustang foam. Also, the PJ had the watts-link (Gen 1) as standard equipment, a feature not standard on the Heritage.

Little styling differences as well. The H302 3-Valve had quad exhaust tips and 5-spoke wheels while the H302 S/C featured the PJ wheels (sometimes) and oval exhaust tips.

The production numbers are spooky small for the 2008 H302, even more so than the '08 H281 S/C Gurney Edition. The '09 Dark Horse beats both though.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

The dark horse is nice but would be more expensive. The PJ was great. Just not a big fan of orange but it had a purpose.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Selo

I'm really glad I found this forum.
I'm looking to purchase a really nice 2007 Saleen PJ Boss 302, but I have some concerns before I pull the trigger.
First, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the exact warranty info, although I realize the warranty is about up.
Second, have these been good, reliable, cars?
Can your average Ford tech work on these cars, or does it require someone with specific skill and knowledge of the product?
In order to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires, how will I know what would be acceptable stats, as I don't think Tire Rack will have this car in their database? Standard GT data for the year? Did Saleen change the hubs, offsets, anything?
At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I'm thinking of taking this car to the track for a few DE's per year. Has anyone else here tracked the car? Anything special I should do for setup? Braided steel brake lines? Of course, new pads and super blue brake fluid...
Last, how do you like the Tremec gearbox? I'm a Porsche and BMW owner and I'm used to pretty smooth shifts. The guy I'm buying the car from is a Porsche guy and he says he loves it, but then again he's trying to sell me the car!
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Mike

Quick Reply: 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Edition