Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Poor Man's Rousch

Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

What do you think is the most bang for the buck in replacing stock '08 4.6L mufflers? I don't want an excessively loud muffler, but the Roush Blower really drowns out the exhaust sound. I'd like a little stronger exhaust sound when the blower is winding up.

Any suggestions?

Mr. D (A 50's Cruiser that's still around!)

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-17-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

I dont know technicley what would be the best answer- Im no technician, but I can tell you that I love the sound of the upgrade muffler that Roush uses in thier Stage 1. Its throaty, deep, but not obnoxious.
One of my hangers broke recently at the weld and there is now a hole in the muffler so I am going to be replacing it soon- and want to find out what systme Roush used...
Any one have an idea?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FloRida Livin
I dont know technicley what would be the best answer- Im no technician, but I can tell you that I love the sound of the upgrade muffler that Roush uses in thier Stage 1. Its throaty, deep, but not obnoxious.
One of my hangers broke recently at the weld and there is now a hole in the muffler so I am going to be replacing it soon- and want to find out what systme Roush used...
Any one have an idea?
Do you know anyone who can do an electric weld and patch it. We put 1/4 panels and patches on classic cars that are in sex figures, so there ought to be a local welder that can patch it and make the hanger attachment stronger. It's not like it's a weld in the middle of your hood that people will notice. A nice electric weld patch, a quick grind & some high temp paint ought to heal it at less money than a new Roush muffler. You might strengthen the other muffler hanger while your at it!

I'll look at the Roush site, but if it's a Roush muffler I'll probably have to sell my car to afford the mufflers! https://mustangforums.com/forum/imag...con_worthy.gif I would bet Roush uses a standard muffler and then at least triples the cost for the Roush name. When I was restoring antique Corvettes we had to buy GM off road mufflers at a very high price until we found out they were GM truck 6 cylinder mufflers at about 1/3rd the price. We found a rare/expensive head light holder that was easy to find in junk yards on GM diesel trucks. Sometimes the brand name is 75% of the cost!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Mr D- THANK YOU- good advice. I do know people in the auto business for sure and will look into that, great suggestion.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well if your looking at uncorking your stock exhaust but keeping the sound to a stock level then you should check out DynoMax's VT mufflers.

They have a spring loaded valve that opens up under WOT to offer full performance and sound but at idle they are quiet and calm.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Interesting muffler! I wonder how long the mechanism holds up under exhaust heat?

Actually, what I would like would be a muffler that sounds stronger at idle and a moderate throttle, but not excessive at WOT.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

I know the Bentley Continental GT uses a muffler like this- or perhaps this one, not sure- but it has a 4 year unlimited mile warranty bumper to bumper... I would HOPE they would put a muffler that can stand up!
I like the idea.... Is there a web site where you can hear it? I know Corsa used to have sound bites available.