Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush Clones????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Roush Clones????

Friendly Question (I hope! Yikes!)

Since Roush promotes authorized Performance shops installing Roush components such as superchargers, etc. with their blessing & warranties how would you establish a car as a Roush clone? Frankly, I like Roush just because they didn't try to force me into expensive packages with an authorized # plate for things I didn't want like some other companies! Being an old guy, I wanted the original '08 body style with a stock ride, a Roush Supercharger, & a few other modifications! So, I bought a new '08 & called Roush for a few items! They let me have the car I wanted... at a price I wanted to pay! (I'm cheap!) It's not the "top of the line" as the beautiful cars you find in this section, but it makes an old school teacher & Classic Chevy/Corvette Restorer smile when I put my foot in it! I love my old 55-57 Chevys & solid axle Corvettes, but Mustangs are more bang for the buck than anything on the road today!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-18-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Add Picture & corrections
Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

To me, the Roush "clones" are the ones that fully replicate what Jack and the crew do to the cars. The rest fall under Mustangs with Roush parts.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:54 AM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
To me, the Roush "clones" are the ones that fully replicate what Jack and the crew do to the cars. The rest fall under Mustangs with Roush parts.
I agree. Your car is not a clone. You have thrown a few Roush parts on it that you desired and thats it.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

It seems to me that if Roush Corp.... sells Roush parts to an "Authorized Roush Dealer"... who then installs the parts on a customer's car with Roush Corp. making a profit on those parts, giving the installation & parts their blessing & warrantee... than what are we splitting hairs about? Is it who did the labor? I doubt it was Jack Roush in any case! This approach would be like having a Ford sell their Ford Dealership a Mustang transmission & then after the authorized dealer installs it telling the customer, "Now you have a "clone" because the tranny was not installed by the Ford Factory!" It seems to be a difference without meaning! I understand requiring an authorized Roush dealer to do the work to protect the Roush name & quality, but any more than that is just trying to maximize profits like Shelby does! I visited Shelby & got turned off because they tried to dictate that I take an entire $20K package filled with some things I wouldn't want for free... or I could hit the highway... which I did (I-15 out of Las Vegas back home & directly to Roush Dealer!) Being that I was writing the check... not C. Shelby, I sorta felt I should have something to say what went on my car... not the Shelby salesman! (Not intended to criticize any Shelby Mustangs! I just want... what I want... like you do!)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

Clones are passing cars off as an original 'factory built' car but they aren't. Some cars come closer to a cloned look then others, depending on the owners interests and looks of the car. I can look at your car and tell its not a true Roush car. Just has some aftermarket parts available for purchase online or at the dealer. Thats all it is. A Mustang with some stickers and a blower you bought from Roush. I guess you would call it a modded Stang with some rough parts. So far with alittle inspection and knowing what to look for clones are easy to see and that's all they are. "A likeness" of the real thing. It will never be anything else.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07_427R
I guess you would call it a modded Stang with some rough parts. So far with alittle inspection and knowing what to look for clones are easy to see and that's all they are. "A likeness" of the real thing. It will never be anything else.
I gather your definition of a "clone" is any car that didn't go directly from Ford Motor Company to Roush! A car that has the same mods installed by an authorized Roush dealer is therefore a clone! Right? OBVIOUSLY... I am not trying to pass off my car as anything but what it is! So, I'm also confused with your term "rough parts"? What are "rough parts"? If your car has a supercharger put on the engine by Roush, is it "less rough" than the superchargers Roush sells to their authorized dealers? I suspect they are the same parts, don't you! If there not Roush is lying to its customers!

In any case, you have a beautiful car with all the Roush bells & whistles, & I have a car with the limited mod's I preferred! As I said, as an old guy who was around in the 50's & 60's I prefer the unaltered '08 body style as it came from the factory without body mods, just as I prefer Corvettes without the modifications many add to their bodies!

Thanx for the response,
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07_427R
I agree. Your car is not a clone. You have thrown a few Roush parts on it that you desired and thats it.
I think the only way to make a Roush a "clone" is for the owner to lie about where the mods were done! If the owner feels the need to do that... he needs to get a life!

"I never was... the man I used to be!"

Thanx for the response
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I think his words "rough parts" was supposed to be "Roush parts".

Cars that don't clone / copy an actual car Roush offered as a package fall under the category of "Cars with Roush parts".

Generally, the term CLONE is used for cars that put ALL the Roush parts on at any certain Stage (Stage 1, 2 or 3) - as they would come from Roush. If it has all the parts, but no serial number, then it's a clone. And a clone isn't a bad thing. I've seen some VERY nicely done clones.
The one Doug built is on of my favorite cars.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

I think his words "rough parts" was supposed to be "Roush parts".

Cars that don't clone / copy an actual car Roush offered as a package fall under the category of "Cars with Roush parts".

Generally, the term CLONE is used for cars that put ALL the Roush parts on at any certain Stage (Stage 1, 2 or 3) - as they would come from Roush. If it has all the parts, but no serial number, then it's a clone. And a clone isn't a bad thing. I've seen some VERY nicely done clones.
Yes, thanks!!! That was meant to be Roush, not Rough.

Mecum auto auctions had quite a few 'clones for sale this weekend as an example. A ZL1 Camaro (clone). Looked just like one that was built in 1969 but was advertised as a clone. Even had the all aluminum 427 engine in it. There were also several 1969 Z-28 Clones that looked amazing. None of them came from the factory that way but somebody put the time and 'as correct' as possible parts on them to duplicate a factory car but again it was advertised as a clone. Then you may have a category of 'custom'. It may have 'some' parts that would put it in a clone category but the entire car wasn't presented that way, just a few parts. I would put Mr. D's car in that category. Not stock, not a clone but custom using some of Roush's over the counter parts.

This was my last 'custom' mopar. It had alot of parts that many would view as a true 1970 440+6 barrel GTX and in many ways I wanted it to look that way but it was not 100% done to look like a true 440+6 GTX. The wheels were not OEM, the headers and valve covers and oil pan were not OEM, the ignition was not OEM etc. But it screamed 1970 440+6barrel GTX. And if you ask me what it was I would say 1970 Plymouth GTX 440+6. So unless your trying to fool somebody into thinking its a real from the factory or in the case of a Yenko or Baldwin Motion or Nickey Chevrolet car from a dealership purpose built, then its only a nice custom car that someone put together.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

How about if your car already came with the Roush parts on them? When I bought my car from the dealership, it already had the Roush scoop and the spoiler on it. I think the line between a Roush original or clone is a difficult one to draw because people will have different opinions on this matter. I know that owners install Roush engines on their cars. I don't know if you can call those clones.

Quick Reply: Roush Clones????