Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Will changing the wheels change the SALEEN image/value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM
MIATitan

Default Will changing the wheels change the SALEEN image/value?

I have looked and its very hard to find true SALEEN black wheels, so I have looked at others like American Muscle's Saleen rims and they do look nice, but I do not want to kill the Image. Any thoughts? Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Do what you like. No one will know but you.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 PM
MIATitan

Yeah, I don't plan on ever getting rid of it so may go ahead and get the black spokes from American Muscle. I also want to change the headlights to Halo's and blackout lenses. Then tint the windows. Will look good with Metallic Grey color. Thx
Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MIATitan
I have looked and its very hard to find true SALEEN black wheels, so I have looked at others like American Muscle's Saleen rims and they do look nice, but I do not want to kill the Image. Any thoughts? Thanks in advanced!
Originally Posted by MIATitan
Yeah, I don't plan on ever getting rid of it so may go ahead and get the black spokes from American Muscle. I also want to change the headlights to Halo's and blackout lenses. Then tint the windows. Will look good with Metallic Grey color. Thx
It sounds like you have some really good plans for your car! I'm a huge fan of the 5-Spoke Saleen wheels, they look great on just about every year Mustang. I ran these wheel & tire set up on my 2004 Mach 1 and absolutely loved them!

The blacked out look on your Metallic grey Mustang is going to be really cool. Tint, Raxiom headlights and Saleen wheels is a great start to a show winning quality Stang! Keep up the great work. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Up until this year, Steve Saleen did not offer a black chrome wheel, and has never offered a black wheel. So if you want black, a replica or refinishing some stock Saleen wheels are your only choices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the American Muscle wheels do not have the exact offset, nor do they have the same diameter center cap hole, so the Saleen center caps do not fit. Despite at least one errant description on their website -- and the statement above -- these are indeed replica wheels.

If you want a replica wheel that fits your center caps, the ZR brand from WheelReplicas_dot_com out of Texas is the way to go... confirm with them to be sure.

If you change out the wheels, keep your original wheels should you ever sell -- a potential future buyer will likely want the factory wheels to be available, and you'll get a better price for your Saleen.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I'd say making it more unique and doing something different, beyond the 'norm' would be more of an improvement than just doing the same wheels in black if you ask me. I've always had a lot of pride to say that I've done things differently than anyone else. That's what gets you noticed, not just a color change on a wheel that everybody has seen already. I'd probably say go with something else more unique, but I can see the value in keeping the "Saleen" theme if that's what you want.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

I'm all for customizing, but resale is better when stock.

One thing you could do is use something like Plastidip spray, as that's a removable coating... I don't have much experience with it, other than I have seen other people use it... some auto parts stores stock it and they have a matte black.

FWIW, gloss black is a pain to maintain, and black chrome (really a PVD coating) is almost as bad.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm all for making a car your own with personal touches.

If you are a purist, the real value will be in keeping the car "stock" Saleen. I'd suggest doing what I did: Keep your OEM Saleen parts if you change something. If/when the time comes to sell it, you can put it back to original and keep the value higher.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 PM
MIATitan

Thx all! I do still have it and plan to do some of these. I am now looking into swapping out the manual tranny to a automatic. I gave the car to my son as a graduation gift and he is going to start at FSU this fall and theres a lot of hills. I would feel better if it had an automatic in it. Any thoughts?