Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

c4 Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Default c4 Transmission leak

I keep dripping transmission fluid and cannot seem to find the leek. There was one where the trans fluid cooler lines go to the bottom of the radiator but i fixed that. We also replaced and O ring where the speedo cable is, but that wasnt the problem. It looks like its seeping out the sides of the pan. Ive tried a new gasket with sealer, new gasket w/out sealer, and this silicone sealer stuff but there is still a leak. Im thinkin it might not be from the pan but somewhere ontop of the trans. I believe theres an overflow tube on the top of the trans. Is it possible it keeps leaking out of there? or should that be plugged? Any ideas of where the drip might be coming from would be helpful.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:38 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: c4 Transmission leak

How about where the linkage comes out? Or where the vacuum 'modulator?' is.
The vent tube will leak if it is too full or driven very enthusiastically around sharp corners, do not plug it.
You can also leak from the fill tube oring where it inserts into the tranny, or out the top like the vent.
All in all, these can be very messy. I'm considering swapping in a beefy 5 speed.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

definitely could be leaking out of the vent on top of the case if the level is too high and/or the tranny gets really hot and the fluid expands excessively and then blows out the vent tube. DO NOT PLUG THE VENT, just get the level down and maybe install a trans fluid cooler to keep the temps down better.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. Thought this leak is when it sits in the garage, its a steady drip. so my problem isnt from driving hard and heating up the trans fluid.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:00 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

If your dip stick tube goes into the case rather then the pan it could be a bad O ring. I had one that leaked from there many moons ago. Drove me crazy.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Randalls crazy 67

I was wondering if you ever fixed the leak? Because i have the same one, i drive it around it wont leak i park it over night a small leak then it stops. I let it sit for a few days and it dumps all of the ATF out of the pan and onto the ground. Like yousaid it doesnot seem to be the trans pan because i too have put on about 5 or 6 just trying to make sure it wasn't the gasget. When i get underneath the car the entire pan is covered in ATF but more so in the rear of the pan. I've checked my vent tube and its dirty just of road grime not ATF. I have noticed as well that it seems some times to come from higher then pan but the vent tube is way on the other side from the problem. Right now i'm all but short from pulling the transmission out of my car to find the problem but if you know of a better way let me know,
Thanks, Randall
Old 08-03-2007, 02:09 PM
mrsinister84

Mine is leaking as well, only if it sits. The leak on mine is coming from the kick down arm o-ring on the drivers side above the pan and it is making the pan gasket look like it is seaping, it is a common problem on the ford Trannies from that era.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:10 PM
ponyx2
2nd Gear Member

I thought ALL C-4's leak! lol
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

first the leak needs to be watched closely, to determine which side of the tranny it's coming from, driver, passenger, rear, or front. wipe everything down with brake cleaner as best as you can. front, blowing back would prob be a front seal, pass is prob dip stick or rev servo or tranny lines to radiator, rear would prob be vacuum mod or rear seal, and driver side could be anyone of multiple locations, speedo, kickdown, vent tube, servo, shifter. Patience pays off in something like this.

I had a brand new perf build, and ended up being the vent tube dripping. Simply bent a newlonger 5/16 vent tube and turned it up about 15 deg's before turning it down. Hasn't dripped since.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:32 AM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyx2

I thought ALL C-4's leak! lol
Me too but since we're all chiming in here.. Mine too!!

Quick Reply: c4 Transmission leak