Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Brake By-pass switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Dirty Work

Default E-Brake By-pass switch

Hi gang,

I have an idea to bypass my ebrake so I can raise and lower the top without applying it. I am thinking of finding the sensor wire that turns the dash light on and hooking it up to a switch, so i can flip the switch and drop the top. Should be pretty easy to do, but a couple of quick questions;

-Does anyone know where the sensor, or wire is that triggers the Parking brake light? will this work if I just hook it up to try to fool the car or is there something more complicated fgoing on that prevents the top from operating without the parking brake on?

-How the hell do I remove the stupid little coin slot thing in my 2000 mustang? I am going to locate a guarded switch there

Any help would be appreciated

Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: E-Brake By-pass switch

I know that there is a way to by-pass the parking brake for aftermarket, in-dash DVD players with an in-line toggle switch. Different DVD players require different switching combinations. Maybe you could check with a local stereo shop or maybe post your question in the Audio/Visual Electronics section of the site.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I'm not liking the idea of people raising/lowering their top OR watching a DVD while they're driving

It's your car do whatever you want... just don't get too distracted & crash into me

Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Dirty Work

Yeah I agree with the DVD thing, always have.. I have been in a car with one going and you can't help but be distracted. It's not like I am going to be raising the top while I am driving though, that would be a little sketchy. Just like the idea of flipping a button instead of yanking the stupid click-stick all the time.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Its hers

I just had to "clean up" the switch on the wifies car. The switch is right at the base of the parking brake lever. To get to it, open the console and pull the rubber tabs off of the top-front of the storage area and pull the storage bin out. There's one wire on a slide connector and the other connects under the single mounting screw.

Note: If you connect these wires your "brake" light will remain on constantly. Is it really that hard to pull the handle???
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

your top is not designed to be raised/lowered when going faster then 5 mph, i just pull the ebreak one click if im doing it in traffic so i can still inch forward
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Not only is it unsafe to raise/lower the top while driving over 5mph, I've also found it can cause stress on the top if your lowering it while parked on an extremely windy day. The damn thing acts like a big sail in the air when it's 1/2 way up[:@]and it's too damn expensive to be needing to replace one out of stupidity
Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

I'm not liking the idea of people raising/lowering their top OR watching a DVD while they're driving

It's your car do whatever you want... just don't get too distracted & crash into me

I saw a guy try to raise the top on a Cadillac at about 35mph. The result was pretty damn funny, but not very damn pretty
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Junior OTard
Banned

god i love having an older beat up convertible
i can just barely move the ebrake and the e brake light comes on and i can put it down while moving

i dont do it out driving
its just somthing to save time when your backin out of the driveway
Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Dirty Work

OK, i think the point of this question is lost, I do NOT want to take the top down while moving, not at all.I just want to flip a switch to be able to put the top down instead of pulling up the parking brake.. I figured it out anyway, but thanks for the comments

Quick Reply: E-Brake By-pass switch