Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ANSWER to (AUX) button on Shaker 500

Old 04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
voodoo612

Default ANSWER to (AUX) button on Shaker 500

I just purchased a new stang. I wanted to hook my ipod to my Shaker 500 system.
I noticed the (Aux) button and asked the dealer if you can hook an ipod to it. He had no
idea. I searched this board and nobody here seemed to know the answer.
I now have the answer:

I called ford to ask the question.
They gave me a number to call Visteon (maker of ford radios)
I called Visteon, they gave me another number to call with a radio specific question (866) 847-8457.

The answer I was given is "nope, that button is specific for over-head dvd players only"

That ends my quest. At the very least the people at this forum saved me the hassle of tearing my counsil apart.

Thanks.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ANSWER to (AUX) button on Shaker 500

I knew that the AUX button would have been a hassle to add external things to...but what you just said I didn't know either.

Thanks for the knowledge.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
=lks= ka druma

My wife has the shaker 500 in her car and it sounds real nice, but boy is a it a piece O' Cr@p. If you could get the connecting cable for that dvd player you could wire in an aux input but thats too much hassle. Our shaker skips like school girls so its on the list for things to replace. If I find a solution, which i doubt, I'll post it.

LKS
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 AM
kevdusmc

FYI, in case you haven't heard, you can get your Shaker replaced under warranty. This is a known problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
voodoo612

I read in a forum (I can't remember if it was here) that somebody is
coming out with a conversion harness for the aux button in the Shaker 500.
I called Visteon again to see if this was true, the woman that I talked to said that Delphi makes the Shaker 500.

Now I'm confused, who makes this radio? Visteon? Delphi? I can't find a phone number to talk to anybody at Delphi.
I emailed them on there web page, but that may be like throwing a bottle with a message into the sea.

Anybody have any knowledge that might help out?

Old 05-10-2005, 02:30 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Over-head DVD player??? What friggin Mustang would ever come with an overhead DVD player??!?

Or do they mean that same headunit also goes into minivans that have the overhead DVD movie player option? If so, then that's just STUPID Ford would stick a deck into a car that results in useless buttons [:'(]

But anyway, if the ideas is the phantom overhead DVD player sends its audio signal to the headunit, then yeah I'm sure there must be a way to rig other audio sources (like an iPod) into the unit. A wiring schematic of the shaker system would help figure that out.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM
voodoo612

Here is my "answer" from Delphi [:'(]

Thank you for contacting delphi.com.

The radio we produce for Ford Motor Company is designed specifically for that particular vehicle. It is designed to communicate on a proprietary communications data bus with other Ford factory installed audio devices. Connecting other devices into the radio's auxiliary input will not work due to a lack of communications on the factory audio data bus. A data bus is an electrical circuit in which messages are transmitted and received between electronic components. Data busses can be very generic, as in the PC (Personal Computer) market or very manufacturer specific, as in the automotive electronics market.

Sincerely,
delphi.com Customer Service

Original Inquiry:
----------------------------------------------------

I have a 2005 mustang with a shaker 500 system in it. I was told delphi makes this. I want to hook an ipod to this system. I was told the aux button controls an overhead dvd player. I also heard a rumor that there is a wiring harness that will convert this aux button into something usable for the ipod. RCA jacks possibly? Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
tboucher
1st Gear Member

Bummer. Just got a V6 Convertible with the Shaker 1000 in it and saw that Aux button and was hoping I could iPod too it.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:21 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

get an FM transmitter for 20 bucks form Best Buy. then set your radio to a station with no reception and set the transmitter at the same station and plug the transmitter into your headphone outlet of the ipod. enjoy the mp3 music in your car.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
rplourdejr

ORIGINAL: AtlanticBlue99

get an FM transmitter for 20 bucks form Best Buy. then set your radio to a station with no reception and set the transmitter at the same station and plug the transmitter into your headphone outlet of the ipod. enjoy the mp3 music in your car.
Belkin makes such a device just for the ipod. Called the Tunecast II. Walmart carries them. I might get one for my Sirius radio since, the only channels the radio broadcasts on are already being used by radio stations.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166903

Speaking of Sirius...I have a 2002 Mustang GT vert and it seems, none of the body panels are metal. Has anyone used a Sirius antenna and gets good reception? I got great reception on my last car by putting the antenna on the outside of the truck. Can't do that here. Right now, it is on the black metal piece that wraps around the rear seats. Don't get the best of reception with that location though. Not sure where else to try it. It needs some metal to get a signal from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ANSWER to (AUX) button on Shaker 500