Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Rain water flooding passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM
mikebel

Default HELP! Rain water flooding passenger side

I've got a 2005 V6, 60k miles. Suddenly I have rain water flooding the passenger side floor. It's entering somewhere behind the glove box. This has happened 2x's recently but never happened before. If the car is parked, no rain water is inside, but when I start to drive the water starts pouring in; it sounds like a faucet is running! I live in GA and we had a bad storm last night. As a drove home I must have had a gallon of water on the floor! Could there be a clogged drain hole somewhere? I raised the hood but didn't see anything unusual.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:51 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

There is a TSB on the dreaded water leak for our 2005 mustangs! Luckily I have not experienced this. Unfortunately the search function is not working properly, so I would suggest going to the TSB section and review. If I recall, it has to do with clogged drain holes near the front of your windshield. Take a look at the link to the TSB page on the water leak. Good luck!

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...LOOR-AREA.html

Last edited by kevinmalec; 04-16-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Where are you located in GA?

Last edited by kevinmalec; 04-16-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From the OP's description, his issue may NOT be related to the TSB but related to the clogged drain ports below the cabin air filter.

If you reach down along the firewall inbetween the battery and the engine, you may be able to see but can certainly feel a rubber boot. That's the drain for the the area below the cowling. The boot has a few (2?) holes to allow water to drain but will clog from debris and allow water to buildup and then spill into the cabin thru the cabin air filter. BE RELIEVED if that's the problem, since the one related to the TSB is a PITA to repair and can cause electrical problems. If you remove the access panel to the SJB in the passenger kick panel and feel water ABOVE the SJB, then you have the dreaded TSB leak.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Dun dun DUN!

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/08-26-07.pdf

Its a right of passage at this point.

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Where are you located in GA?
+1

I live near the ATL dragway in commerce, I will help you seal it up if you can come near there
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the world of leaky mustangs. Sounds like you have those black rubber drain plugs clogged as Nuke pointed out. Hopefully that will resolve your issue and is easy to take care of. Otherwise the full blown water leak is a PITA.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 AM
mikebel

Thank you all. I'll check these out later today.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
mikebel

Nuke was right. Both of the drain ports with the rubber boots were clogged with debris. As soon as I removed them the rest of the water came pouring out. Thanks all, for the help.
I live in Marietta, GA.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Good to hear you got it all worked out!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Bearcat94

Originally Posted by Nuke
.... If you remove the access panel to the SJB in the passenger kick panel and feel water ABOVE the SJB, then you have the dreaded TSB leak.

What is "SJB"?

Quick Reply: HELP! Rain water flooding passenger side