Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want an Aftermarket Hood But Worried About Flutter After Searching Through Posts

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
mlawdawg
1st Gear Member

Default Want an Aftermarket Hood But Worried About Flutter After Searching Through Posts

I've been researching after market hoods that promote lower underhood temps, primarily becuase I am adding Whipple and from my supercharged F150, I know how hot it gets underhood.

Cervini and Kaenan seem to be favored brands for fit and finish, although form reading multile posts on multiple forums, I remain concerned about whther the hood will flutter at speeds. I'd much rather keep the stocker that is flutter free than swirch and have flutter.

I favor either the KR style orr fully functional cowl like Steeda.

Any thoughts or expereinces you can share about he hoods? Thx
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Your stock one is flutter free? You're not going fast enough lol, I would look into TruFiber. If you are worried about the flutter get hood pins... Or you can look into the hood pins that you cannot see that go under the hood.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Likely many will disagree, but all this fluttering so I have got to have hood pins stuff is mostly BS. Just folk looking for a rational to justify their hoods pins. My car launches pretty violently and traps 135+....no hood pins....no flutter. Get the right quality hood. Mine was a Cervini 4 inch cowl, but don't go taller than 3 inches for a street vehicle. With new build, have changed hoods (about 1/3 of the weight) and it does have pins, but I wouldn't put it on a street car and expecting 145+ traps.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 07-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If you want an after market hood, get one. Don't let the "fluttering" worry you. Adjust the bumpstops accordingly, or do like so many others do, including myself at one time, and get a set of aftermarket hood pins to put your mind at ease.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Your stock one is flutter free? You're not going fast enough lol, I would look into TruFiber. If you are worried about the flutter get hood pins... Or you can look into the hood pins that you cannot see that go under the hood.
lol.. I was getting ready to ask that.. cause my stock one flutters.. and ooo I haven't seen hidden pins? are you serious?

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Likely many will disagree, but all this fluttering so I have got to have hood pins stuff is mostly BS. Just folk looking for a rational to justify their hoods pins. My car launches pretty violently and traps 135+....no hood pins....no flutter. Get the right quality hood.

You must have gotten lucky with your stock and your cowl then.. cause my stock one flutters at 70mph.. (2 of my friends an 07 and another 08 do also at 65-70mph) I've adjusted it until I'm blue in the face.. and I don't want hoodpins.. maybe I'm too picky.. but when I notice something in my periphial vision like that.. it can't be good... and I know its not right.

and BADD A$$ launch shot btw I love that..
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
If you want an after market hood, get one. Don't let the "fluttering" worry you. Adjust the bumpstops accordingly, or do like so many others do, including myself at one time, and get a set of aftermarket hood pins to put your mind at ease.
did adjusting your stops work for you?

It wouldn't stop it for me or my friend's 07.. unless you adjust it to the point that pushed the alignment of the hood and it wasn't flush with the 1/4 panels anymore.. but I wasn't about to leave mine up like that and didn't test for movement because there was no way I was leaving them that adjusted

again.. maybe I'm too picky.. dunno.. it should have been an easy fix like that.. but it didn't work for me..
Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have never ever seen a post or a printed article regarding an S197 hood popping up, but then I don't go searching for such. If your stock hood flutters to the extent you are really concerned, seek a remedy with your Ford dealer. If a car manufacturer produces a vehicle capable of 140+ and hoods keep misbehaving, there would be a ton of recalls and litigation.

Why don't you see hood pins on vettes, vipers, and such.....are their hoods a better fit and quality???
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
did adjusting your stops work for you?

It wouldn't stop it for me or my friend's 07.. unless you adjust it to the point that pushed the alignment of the hood and it wasn't flush with the 1/4 panels anymore.. but I wasn't about to leave mine up like that and didn't test for movement because there was no way I was leaving them that adjusted

again.. maybe I'm too picky.. dunno.. it should have been an easy fix like that.. but it didn't work for me..
It stopped it on my stock GT hood and my GT500 hood. You don't need to raise them so high that it pushes the hood higher than the fenders. You're just trying to find the right height so that when it's closed there's enough pressure that it's extremely tight.

As far as aftermarket, on my Trufiber hood (see below), I didn't try it before I installed everything because of all the posts people made in the forums when using aftermarket. If I choose to go this route again, I will not use hood pins immediately like before. I will drive the car around, adjust the bumpstops as necessary and then make a decision on whether they ARE in fact needed or not. That's just me.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

Steve - The reason you don't see those problems is because of the way the nose of the S197 was designed. The hood lays over the front end of the car, which traps air entering into the grille area. If you look at a Vette or Viper, or even a new Mustang, you'll see that the hood does NOT extend to the grille. Rather, there is a little bit of body work before the hood opening. That's why the new Mustangs, Vettes and Vipers do not have this problem and we do. Simple design oversight... All in the name of retro.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 AM
mlawdawg
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=forensicsteve;7614684]Likely many will disagree, but all this fluttering so I have got to have hood pins stuff is mostly BS. Just folk looking for a rational to justify their hoods pins. My car launches pretty violently and traps 135+....no hood pins....no flutter. Get the right quality hood. Mine was a Cervini 4 inch cowl, but don't go taller than 3 inches for a street vehicle. With new build, have changed hoods (about 1/3 of the weight) and it does have pins, but I wouldn't put it on a street car and expecting 145+ traps.

What did you use on the new build, the Steed full cowl? Why woudl you not useo n the street.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want an Aftermarket Hood But Worried About Flutter After Searching Through Posts