V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Clutch not engaging/disengaging correctly..

Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch not engaging/disengaging correctly..

Hey guys,

So I'm a little stuck, and annoyed. So I have always been a mustang guy, and they have been faithful to me. Recently I got a 99 v6 because as much as I love the GT's I want to save some gas. The car has been fine until..

The clutch I feel isn't releasing enough because when I step on the clutch, I still have to force it into gear and sometimes it's like somewhat engaged already, or engages like 1 cm off the floor board. So I really don't want to damage the transmission. In the morning it's a little better, but as it warms up, it gets worse till the point I have to like kick my clutch pedal to get it into gear, or sometimes I drive clutchless..

Things I've done:

I have taken the cable out and l lubed it up with some lubricant I forgot the name.

Checked the quadrant, it seems to be fine

I got no play from the firewall.

When I lubed it, it worked fine for like a day. Then I went back.
Everything is bone stock. The cable has like a broken bolt at the end where the fork is. Don't know what it does, because I don't think it adjusted. Another thing, it was raining one day, and I passed by a big puddle, and I assume water went inside through the whole were the fork is, and for like two shifts, it was perfect. Then it went back to being bad. Don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

First there should be a cover for that hole. Second it sounds like your clutch cable is worn out. They stretch over time and with a '96 I would say it's a fair bet. You should get under the car with someone inside and have them press the clutch to check the travel on the throw out fork.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Ok, my question would be, if it was stretched, wouldn't lubricating it do nothing? Because I took a video while I stepped on the clutch and saw it wasn't pulling it enough. After I lubed it, it was. And what do you think is up with the whole water getting in and making it easier? As the car warms up it gets worse, and I think I smell something burning, like burnt cable.. But the clutch cable is perfect though( as in no signs of burns)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried to take the slack out of your quadrant? Your clutch isn't completely engaging. Some of the best money you can spend would be on a Steeda clutch quadrant, cable and firewall adjuster. Ditch that plastic quadrant, it'll fail you sooner or later.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Lubricating it didn't fix it, you said it worked for a day. So you took it out and it kinda returned like a spring does. However because it's a worn out spring it didn't stay that way. That's just my guess to be honest. Advising technical issues over the internet is kind of a crap shoot.

The water part is definitely odd. How do you know it isn't burnt? Have you removed the clutch? Maybe your clutch has been slipping a bit and your flywheel needs to be resurfaced? My money is still on the cable, I would check the fork travel and go from there.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Ok so, I just ordered the clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster off late model. Would you recommend me lube up the new cable? I heard steedas is pretty stiff.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Michael Foster

About a week ago I was driving down the road and I hear something hit the bottom of my car. After I heard that my car wouldn't take off in gear... I replaced the clutch and it still will not move in gear... I can move thru the gears without pushing in the clutch... I know if you have the car running and you let off the clutch and it stalls out the clutch is good but if keeps run the clutch is bad well my keeps stalling out but I can put it in gear and let of the clutch and it still will not engage in gear what can it be
Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I think I hit something the other day too. There was a bump that sounded like "Watch where you're going you dumb $#@!" but after a couple blocks I didn't hear it any longer. I think the car is ok now.

hahahaha sry after reading that last post thats what I saw in my mind.