Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch pedal assembly broke - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 PM
LenXIII

Default Clutch pedal assembly broke - advice?

So this is my first post in these forums. I was hoping that I would have a car that didn't require me to become a forum member to keep it running but this car has had a lot of issues (although I still love it.)

I have a 2008 Mustang V6 5spd. It has less than 50k miles and has already had a new starter and a new rear end. The new rear end is already making slight noises. I do not race this car or drive it hard. I don't baby it either, but I by no means beat on it.

What brings me here today is over the past couple weeks I have had slight issues with my clutch pedal. It started out with me not being able to get the car in or out of gear but I found that resetting the quadrant fixed the issue right away. Since the first time doing this (gently lifting the pedal with my toe) 2 weeks ago I have had to do it about 4 times now. Well the last time I had an issue the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. I got down there and looked around and it looks like the problem is this metal cylinder shape part that connects to the left part of the clutch pedal arm came out of the pedal. I found some pictures online which I circled in red is the part that came out. The assist spring with the plastic retainer and the metal swivel part at the top of the spring all fell off as well but I assume that is because of the part breaking off of the clutch arm.

I am not sure if these pictures are actually of the V6 or a GT or something. It looks about the same, but the part I circled in these pictures is slightly different on mine. First of all I didn't think it was that think - it almost looks like that is an outside sleeve, mine is about 3/4 of that thickness and I do not see all that welding on mine. There is just a hole in the pedal arm where it connects and it looks like it's either broken or the welding just came undone. I do not see a way for it to stay in the hole on the clutch arm, I can put it back in but it just falls out after 1 press of the pedal.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM
LenXIII

Sorry I posted a little premature. So my question is do you think I can just tap a hole and place a bolt in to that shaft through the pedal with a washer? Has anyone else heard of this part breaking?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
LenXIII

Bump

UPDATE: I pulled out that part and it looks like just the one in the right photo - The thing is mine doesn't have any of that welding you see in the pictures. I will take a photo of the end of that part that sits in the pedal arm, but it looks like they just didn't weld it all the way. Nothing looks broke on it, but it does look very unfinished and jagged (the part that sits inside the arm) the rest of the piece is in great shape. I think it was tac welded or something and just never finished?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 PM
lynnti

Does anyone know what the little black plastic piece connected to the metal cylinder is called? Mine broke in half.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:12 PM
jcms1983

Default clutch aluminum pc

I need to purchase that aluminium pc for the clutch on the mustang if possible mine broke.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Luis Limón

Is the replacement metal piece still available for sale bc I’ll be needing one as well
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the post. Just purchased a spare one from backwoods_diesel on ebay. I'll add that to the V6 aluminum thermostat housing I have for "just in case" repairs.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I will get one too! Let us know when they are available.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

My aluminum master cylinder replacement loop arrived today from backwoods_diesel

How do you remove a non broken plastic loop?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:23 AM
JimC

Thread cleaned. NinjaMonkey if you want to sell things you need to use the classified. That is why your stuff keeps disappearing. If you want to be a vendor then you have to sign up properly.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal assembly broke - advice?