Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rusted Support Bar needs replaced

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 PM
young_mustang

Default Rusted Support Bar needs replaced

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here. It's crazy how going to school full time and working two jobs can consume your life!

Anyways, I had my car inspected and the mechanic pointed out that this frame support bar (?) (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) is rusted pretty badly. He passed my car, but told me to get this replaced ASAP. He said that this bar is only on convertibles to help stabilize the frame. Not sure if that is the case though.

Can someone please inform me of the correct name for this part, how much would it cost to replace, and is this an easy job to do at home? I normally try and figure things out my self, but I've googled and googled and cant find the correct name for it.

Here is the best picture I have of it, and I hope it is enough for someone to ID it correctly.

Thank you in advance and please forgive my ignorance!

Haydn
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 AM
JimC

Looks like a convertible brace in the rear, picture is too close to be sure. Is your car a convertible?

A friend removed his and hasn't had any issues. I was reluctant to take it off my convertible, figuring that it must serve a purpose for support and not just add some weight. You should be able to look it up on one of the parts suppliers (maybe Tousley - can't find their web site right now so maybe someone else will chime in)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Try to find an aftermarket one thats stiffer and in a superior finish that wont rust, or atleast coat it in a good coat of rustoleum before installing the new one.

Not sure what it is though but jim may be right. Show a pic of where its bolted on, or welded or w/e.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM
TBuckTex

Its additional frame stiffening for the convertible. Comes stock on all verts. I have an '05 vert so I also have them. Without the hard roof, the frame needs the extra stiffening and support so they were used. I am sure you can run yours without it, but eventually you will stress something else, frame cracks or whatever. You can purchase aftermarket frame supports for any Mustang, coupe or convertible if you choose to replace, which I would. Not sure if they bolt up or weld, I guess you could do either.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have an '06 vert with 2 that look exactly like that! I bought some frame stiffeners that look a lot better. They have to be welded in and those old rusty ones have to be removed. As soon as I scrape together $200 I will have them installed. By the way, If you price what Ford wants for these, you'll be looking for something just like I did. I forget the price, but I think Ford thinks they're made of gold. It's like $500 each.
I looked them up. I bought them Late Model Restoration and they're made by BMR. I think the part number is BMR-SFC011B.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

$435 each at

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/Page_P...61&plsort=desc
Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
TBuckTex

Guess I am lucky, mine are rust free but dirty as hell after almost 9 years!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
TBuckTex

I did finally put in a rear sway bar! Found one on ebay that was for a vert. Should have done this when i bought the car almost 9 years ago!! Made a huge difference in setting down the rear end, removing a lot of the bounce. Would suggest this to anyone to get more driving enjoyment from their vert.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Same rusty problem.I've spent hours trying to find an aftermarket that will attach at the bottom of the trunk as the original does and I don't think they exist?
I guess I can get them fabricated, it shouldn't cost over 200 apiece,but who knows?
Anyone that finds a solution to this problem at a decent cost will be doing many future rusters a service. don-ohio (:^)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:49 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Default frame supports

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I have an '06 vert with 2 that look exactly like that! I bought some frame stiffeners that look a lot better. They have to be welded in and those old rusty ones have to be removed. As soon as I scrape together $200 I will have them installed. By the way, If you price what Ford wants for these, you'll be looking for something just like I did. I forget the price, but I think Ford thinks they're made of gold. It's like $500 each.
I looked them up. I bought them Late Model Restoration and they're made by BMR. I think the part number is BMR-SFC011B.
Thanks for the info.,Golden! I saw those,but I wondered if there was a reason Ford bolted the originals to the bottom of the trunk? Those would do a great job at stiffening,but is there still a danger of the rear of the car sagging? don-ohio (:^)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusted Support Bar needs replaced