Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

==Supercharger Project Advice Needed==

Old 02-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Default ==Supercharger Project Advice Needed==

I've been looking at superchargers since October. Right when I think I'm ready to buy, I read something or see a youtube video that changes my mind back and forth. My plan is to purchase a supercharger kit (either tuner or complete) which I may or may not install myself based on complexity. I'm planning to do the upgrade this April and need some advice. I have a 2015 GT, manual trans. I am even more committed now since I was humiliated by a new CTS-V sedan on a half-mile stretch of highway last weekend . My goal is to get as close to 700HP as I can get without changing internal engine parts. 650 or above would be nice. I am not trying to build a track car. But its a once or twice a week driver that I want to have stompin power when I choose to use it. Cost is a factor, but less of an issue if I can reach my goals.

I know there are a lot of factors involved, but here are the major points I've learned so far based on my requirements:

-Generally, I shouldn't exceed 12lbs of boost if I don't want to change internal parts
-If I'm only looking for HP, a ProCharger system may yield higher numbers than some other more complex blowers (i.e. Roush, Whipple) since it uses less engine power to run it--they do tend to be cheaper as well
-I know a custom tune will be necessary either through a supplied tuner or through my performance garage based on the system I choose

Here are my questions:
-If its true about the max boost, which system(s) is(are) best to get the most HP/torque and fastest acceleration? (let's say from a rolling start)
-Is it true that a Procharger, or similar centrifugal system, can produce a better boost/hp ratio than the others, like a roots style for instance?
-If I'm able to achieve my HP goal, will my mostly stock GT even be able get the power to the ground without a lot to wheel spin?
-Any comments/preferences on tuning with a provided tuner or using a local, qualified shop?

One thing I might add is that I'm also considering having 1-7/8" Kooks long tube headers installed as part of the upgrade but it depends what I have to spend supercharger.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:14 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang5v0
I've been looking at superchargers since October. Right when I think I'm ready to buy, I read something or see a youtube video that changes my mind back and forth. My plan is to purchase a supercharger kit (either tuner or complete) which I may or may not install myself based on complexity. I'm planning to do the upgrade this April and need some advice. I have a 2015 GT, manual trans. I am even more committed now since I was humiliated by a new CTS-V sedan on a half-mile stretch of highway last weekend . My goal is to get as close to 700HP as I can get without changing internal engine parts. 650 or above would be nice. I am not trying to build a track car. But its a once or twice a week driver that I want to have stompin power when I choose to use it. Cost is a factor, but less of an issue if I can reach my goals.

I know there are a lot of factors involved, but here are the major points I've learned so far based on my requirements:

-Generally, I shouldn't exceed 12lbs of boost if I don't want to change internal parts
-If I'm only looking for HP, a ProCharger system may yield higher numbers than some other more complex blowers (i.e. Roush, Whipple) since it uses less engine power to run it--they do tend to be cheaper as well
-I know a custom tune will be necessary either through a supplied tuner or through my performance garage based on the system I choose

Here are my questions:
-If its true about the max boost, which system(s) is(are) best to get the most HP/torque and fastest acceleration? (let's say from a rolling start)
-Is it true that a Procharger, or similar centrifugal system, can produce a better boost/hp ratio than the others, like a roots style for instance?
-If I'm able to achieve my HP goal, will my mostly stock GT even be able get the power to the ground without a lot to wheel spin?
-Any comments/preferences on tuning with a provided tuner or using a local, qualified shop?

One thing I might add is that I'm also considering having 1-7/8" Kooks long tube headers installed as part of the upgrade but it depends what I have to spend supercharger.

Here's the one I'm buying soon! I had one on my '08 Mustang! Ran great - zero problems! I will make your Mustang value you go up most of the cost of the Supercharger because it is like the Shelby Type Installation! PM me if you are in Southern Cal & need a good Roush shop to installed it PROPERLY WITH THE WARRANTEES!

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...ercharger.html

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-09-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Here are my questions:

I studied them & bought the Roush Supercharger & loved it! I gives more value because it looks & operates like a Shelby setup & because of that you will get more resale value. I got most all of the cost of the Supercharger back when I sold the car because it was competing with Shelby's with buyers!

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-09-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mr D. I have looked at the R2300 Phase 1 and saw good reviews and is within my price range. The consensus is its more difficult to install than a ProCharger. I like that it assists with the resale value. Did you do any dyno pulls after install? Assuming you installed the kit, did you do any other upgrades based on the supercharger? I currently have Eiback Sportline lowering springs and went with 20" staggered rims. I also have a DiabloSport, 91 octane tune on it which really woke up the car. I notice more wheel spin than the stock setup though. I wound up with 442 @ crank/379 @ wheels on a the dyno which was a slight improvement. But not nearly enough for what I would like.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I went with the Roush TVS also. After the install, I got hooked up with Justin at VMP for a pulley swap and tune. Night and day difference. Next time I will just start with VMP.

Install wasn't too bad, depending on your skill level. Took me about ten hours. Patience is the big thing.

Time to shop.

http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-TV...gers-s/119.htm
Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Sweet looking ride CPTCO! Can you tell me more about the pulley swap? I would prefer to solution that before I buy so I know exactly what I need. Also, any dyno data you can share on your car?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanks Mr D. I have looked at the R2300 Phase 1 and saw good reviews and is within my price range. The consensus is its more difficult to install than a ProCharger. I like that it assists with the resale value. Did you do any dyno pulls after install? Assuming you installed the kit, did you do any other upgrades based on the supercharger? I currently have Eiback Sportline lowering springs and went with 20" staggered rims. I also have a DiabloSport, 91 octane tune on it which really woke up the car. I notice more wheel spin than the stock setup though. I wound up with 442 @ crank/379 @ wheels on a the dyno which was a slight improvement. But not nearly enough for what I would like.
I'd spend the labor to have a Roush Authorized Dealer install it. Maybe a Roush Dealer would cut some off the total package buying a supercharger & getting it installed. I'm a decent mechanic, but I'm passing on this! I think the Roush Package is a better long term investment!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Sweet looking ride CPTCO! Can you tell me more about the pulley swap? I would prefer to solution that before I buy so I know exactly what I need. Also, any dyno data you can share on your car?
Thanks, I really like it. Pulley swap was pretty simple, since I'm at about 4500 ft above sea level, I make less boost. I'm sure the guys at Roush probably knew thiss, but they are pretty conservative. So I got ahold of Jason at VMP, and he helped me pick out a smaller pulley. The small pulley spins faster, making more boost. Was a simple install, a few bolts and a belt. Then VMP had me do some data logging and tuned my car via the Internet. Jason assured me that I am right at the ragged edge for stock internals. So I've never been on a dyno, but go still, I can imagine the car running any better.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Mr D. Nice ride also. Is the stripe a custom paint job? I like the fade. Thanks for the advice also. I'm still on the fence about doing the install.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

@CPTCO, what was your initial pulley size and what did you go with after speaking to VMP? I spoke to Justin and may go with a VMP Gen II Stage I from their website since I can pick the pulley I want at no charge, price is good, and the equipment got some good reviews. VMP did take some hits for poor customer service and their websites sucks ***. Its been up and down all day today and I got pretty frustrated. But Justin is very knowledgeable and has been mentioned on other performance sites and forums. A guys I spoke to at American Muscle even mentioned him. He provided some consulting on what I would need to upgrade for the smaller pulleys (i.e. fuel injectors, fuel pump boost, fanned heat exchanger etc. all the way up to clutch, crank shaft, etc. for the smallest ones). Stage I comes with and 85mm pulley but Justin was okay with me going with the 82mm (10lb boost) or 79mm (11-12lb boost) as long as i at least upgrade to the 56lb/hr injectors. I may consider the dual fan heat exchanger but I didn't get the impression the he thought it was necessary. I think the 79mm would put me at the ragged edge also. That would be about as far as I would take it except for possibly adding lt headers. I've checked out some youtube videos on VMP dyno pulls and found one that was using a GEN II with an 82mm pulley that was able to get 618 to the wheels. Don't know if there were more mods or not and you can only believe so much on the Internet.

But I like that I can pick and choose the options I want through VMP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ==Supercharger Project Advice Needed==