4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

PI Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 PM
MustangTed96GT

Default PI Swap questions

Hey guys. Yesterday I got a smoking deal on a full pi swap from a wrecked 99 mustang gt. I got the heads w/cams, valve covers and intake manifold for $150!! Aside from getting all the gaskets and the head changing kit, is there anything else I need? I was told that I need an alternator bracket from an 01-04 gt but sites like AM and LMR say they don't fit. Are they needed or am I all set? I also plan on porting the heads and keeping the factory PI cams. Any idea what I can expect for power with this swap along with all the usually bolt on's? I'm hoping to be around 265-280+ with a good tune. Thanks everyone!

Ted
Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Assuming the donor car was using the updated PI manifold (aluminum coolant crossover, vs the all plastic manifold the car was built with) you will need the alternator bracket.

I would purchase and install a new timing chain/guides/tensioners set. It's all gotta come apart anyway.

PI swapped NPI engines tend to make just a hair more power than PI due to a small bump in compression. But not a lot, maybe like 5 to 10 hp more.

Whoever ports those heads, be sure it is someone with modular head experience. These heads are not for any regular knucklehead with a Dremel to mess with. It's easy to do more harm than good. FWIW, ported heads on these engines (assuming N/A) don't do a whole lot. Maybe another 10-15 hp, maybe. If it were me, and unless you're getting an awesome deal on the work, I would rather spend the money on cleaning up and rebuilding the heads.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

This is a tricky deal, if you add up everything, gaskets coolant, head bolts and by the way save yourself some aggravation, just go ahead and replace the lower manifold if original 16 years old is about the limit, on and on

i just found an 05 Lincoln with 55, 000 miles on it for $500.00 i will be swapping it this summer
Attached Thumbnails PI Swap questions-picture-491.jpg